Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thread Graveyard

Options
12346»

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Sinking:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1232079/hey-mr-buffalo-man-answer-a-question-for-me#latest

What is the under on how long we’re waiting to find out precisely what “soon” means?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    John, I gotta interject here.  "The Buffalo" is probably some BGE employee who has little/no experience in IT, given "forum implementation" as an Extra Duty (or whatever its called in the civilian world).  He/She is trying to solve an IT problem between their own website, and a Nation-wide (possibly world-wide) website provider, on at least two different platforms, and at least two different Operating Systems.  
    I've been there.  I was assigned to run the AF's PODDS program (Process Order Development and Distribution System) for the Ogden ALC, which basically provides instructions to repair any AF weapon system component that came into our Depot Repair facility.  We replaced TOs (basically 3" binders full of printed instructions) with laptop instructions.  The maintainers (middle-to-old age guys with HS educations (hopefully)) had to slip their IDs into a slot, open a cabinet, and slide out a laptop for their daily assignments.  The net was often down, and so were many of the laptops.  Lots of frustration, rage, vandalism, work slowdowns/stoppages, and early retirements.  
    The Powers That Be decided to hand the whole problem to a jerk with a BS in ME, an MS in IE, and an Associates in Munitions Tech (no IT/Computer ed whatsoever).  Yeah, me.  And you all know how good I am at posting a pic on an internet website, or similar.  
    If my side job included trying to fix The Buffalo's issue, and everyone on the forum was angry with me, I'd be tempted to sink that thread too.  
    Just my view of it, FWIW.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    John, I gotta interject here.  "The Buffalo" is probably some BGE employee who has little/no experience in IT, given "forum implementation" as an Extra Duty (or whatever its called in the civilian world).  He/She is trying to solve an IT problem between their own website, and a Nation-wide (possibly world-wide) website provider, on at least two different platforms, and at least two different Operating Systems.  
    I've been there.  I was assigned to run the AF's PODDS program (Process Order Development and Distribution System) for the Ogden ALC, which basically provides instructions to repair any AF weapon system component that came into our Depot Repair facility.  We replaced TOs (basically 3" binders full of printed instructions) with laptop instructions.  The maintainers (middle-to-old age guys with HS educations (hopefully)) had to slip their IDs into a slot, open a cabinet, and slide out a laptop for their daily assignments.  The net was often down, and so were many of the laptops.  Lots of frustration, rage, vandalism, work slowdowns/stoppages, and early retirements.  
    The Powers That Be decided to hand the whole problem to a jerk with a BS in ME, an MS in IE, and an Associates in Munitions Tech (no IT/Computer ed whatsoever).  Yeah, me.  And you all know how good I am at posting a pic on an internet website, or similar.  
    If my side job included trying to fix The Buffalo's issue, and everyone on the forum was angry with me, I'd be tempted to sink that thread too.  
    Just my view of it, FWIW.  
    Oh it doesn’t bother me that it was sunk, Botch.  I get that.

I just wanted a bit more precision (or frankly even just an estimate) as to when the issue will be fixed.  If you tell me it will be fixed “soon” I assume you have some timeline in mind.  Or someone else has given you a timeline.  I understand things are beyond his control or outside his expertise, that’s fine.  I was just looking for a little more information.  Maybe he’ll respond here since he reads all of the threads.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    @Botch is probably right.  That being said, a simple sticky post explaining the situation would be nice.  My main concern is that this follows a few extended outages; has there been malicious activity leading to the outages and removal of the mobile theme?

I am offering my help for free.

Options
    It’s a vended system. Tools for self-management, but those can get very technical.  Also, support for managing a system is very expensive.  BGE may not budget enough to stay on top of it.  

@paqman if they accept your help, I could use an admin role🤪😂
    Options
    @paqman - If you get the gig, I'm available for any needed assistance on the IT-Sec side.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    I can help if it's coded in Fortran, PL1 or Cobol. Not Assembler though  =)
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    I just wonder if they tried unplugging it then tried plugging it back in yet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Any DB issues, SQL is my middle name.
    Options
    Sad to see StumpBaby’s banans thread got nuked.  I guess someone called a Doctor the Buffalo after it lasted longer than four hours.  
  • Canugghead
    Options
    you beat me to it. must be the pissmasters' morning hardwood that killed it  =)
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    thats too bad, stump only posts when the pain subsides a little. almost think the divorce has him not dwelling on pain issues
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Looks like its time for me to change my signature line...

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Botch said:
    Looks like its time for me to change my signature line...

Haha - The Buffalo must be a Trump fan, despite the obvious current events.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Glad I captured this gem before the nuke:

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Are we serious-a thread that has been around for dang near 18 months in the OT section now (Sunday) getting the treatment.  Sounds like a justice system gone renegade.  B)
    Edit:  Still alive...I stand corrected.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I am assuming the mobile view update thread is not long for this world, the way it’s trending.  Screencapping for posterity, because the comments are gold.
  • Canugghead
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

I love it, Gary!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I love it, Gary!
    I've learned not to mess with organized people. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Would be a shame to lose these gems.
    canuckland