Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A new way for a ham…BUT fingers crossed!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
For 14 Christmases now I have egged a ham (Cook’s brand shank …10 to 12 pounds…) using the infamous (LOL) @egret recipe.

Tonight due to too long of an explanation… I decided to just inject it with 1 cup of maple syrup and then instead of the heavy paste
which typically just falls off anyway…I smeared the ham with leftover (drained out syrup) and then hit it with Dizzy Pig Raging River rub).

Going to egg it tomorrow using 2 big chunks each of apple. hickory, peach and pecan. 

Fingers crossed I won’t mess up!:
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    You are golden.  If it will take more syrup before the cook, go for it.  The injection drives the flavor profile as you note.  
    Merry Christmas!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You are golden.  If it will take more syrup before the cook, go for it.  The injection drives the flavor profile as you note.  
    Merry Christmas!
    And a VERY Merry Christmas wish back to you as well! 

I know I implied this was just my 14th time using @egret recipe, but actually I have followed it for at least that many Easters as well!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Sound fantastic Ron!
    Waiting for photos tomorrow 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Merry Christmas Ron!  I hope the ham turns out great!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    RRP said:
    Proof in the frig!

Hmm... I see the spicy V8 in the back.  Getting ready to do some wings soon?
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Ron if your ham turns out just half as impressive as your bank account everyone will be blown away. On a separate note, Merry Christmas and Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams my wealthy friend 🎄 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    RRP said:
    Proof in the frig!

Hmm... I see the spicy V8 in the back.  Getting ready to do some wings soon?
     I should fix some Georgia Red Wings with that, but actually that hot V8 is left over from my batch of chili from last Sunday,

My wife and I love I my improvised recipe using CinChili spice mix. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    Ron if your ham turns out just half as impressive as your bank account everyone will be blown away. On a separate note, Merry Christmas and Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams my wealthy friend 🎄 
    Scottie...same BEST wishes back at you pal...I just wish I was as RICH as you keep telling people here! 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I think, given the number of high priced toys and the general size of Scotties cooks, he must have some serious cash in hand 💵💰as well!
    Enjoy the ham!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Here's hoping everyone here is rich with family, friends, and Christmas cheer!

Great looking ham, @RRP!  Mine goes in tomorrow as my family is delayed by a day due to in-laws and outlaws this year.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • rekameohs
    Options

I know he is Persona Non-Grata here, but we like Steven Raichlen’s Ham-In-Hurry (which takes 4 days).  It is very tasty and the right size for our 2-person household.

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/ham-hurry-whiskey-orange-glaze/

Raleigh, NC
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    That spicy V8 would be in a batch of Bloody Marys in this house.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Merry Christmas, Ron.

You pointed me towards the @egret recipe a few years ago. Thank-you so much. 

Best of luck with your new method.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Good luck Ron. I'm about to try Egret's today for the first time. That recipe appears to have quite the following.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @RyanStl - it is a great recipe.  The ham definitely needs to be in a pan as there will be a lot of liquid that collects from the cook.  
    Merry Christmas.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RyanStl
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Damn, we always have maple syrup, but my wife told me we just ran out. Does the injection and paste need to be applied the day before or can I run to the store tomorrow?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    How’d it turn out, @RRP?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    How’d it turn out, @RRP?
    I got a hunch it was money 💵 
    Yes, pun intended. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Damn, we always have maple syrup, but my wife told me we just ran out. Does the injection and paste need to be applied the day before or can I run to the store tomorrow?
    You are good with the day of the cook with the syrup injection.  I wait until around 3 hours into the cook to apply the paste.  FWIW-
    BTW- cooked one today. Ran around 250*F on the calibrated dome.  11 lbs and finished in 3 3/4 hrs.  
  • RRP
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @RyanStl - it is a great recipe.  The ham definitely needs to be in a pan as there will be a lot of liquid that collects from the cook.  
    Merry Christmas.
    And until you get the hang of it then go easy with the injector effort since with each stabbing that creates more holes for the new syrup to squirt on you, on the counter, on the cabinets, on the floor...want to guess why I know that?  =)
  • RyanStl
    Options
    Due to a C-19 + test in the house today, the get together tommorrow is cancelled.  No rush to get stuff done to catch the siblings at lunch for a full dinner on their way home to Indianapolis.  I'm just going to take my time tomorrow and use all the different ingrients I have on hand, which is massive.  Who needs maple syrup when you have hone and maple brown sugar?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Nice Ron and Merry Christmas 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian