Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BEEF RIBS confusion - did I buy wrong kind ???

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
I want to make braised short ribs for XMAS dinner this yr (recipe like this), got a good deal so bought these "short ribs" last month . . now looking closer at my recipe along with the cut of my "short ribs" and wondering if If it is compatable ? 

I have a real mental block about beef ribs . . to me, these look like dino bones (beef back ribs) but the label clearl says short ribs?  I dont know, let me know if I will run into problems, thanks for taking a look . .   

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    What you have pictured here looks like what you are going for based on the recipe provided.  The ones you have are still intact.  So you will have to separate each package into individual pieces as it looks like the three bones are still together.  Hope that makes since.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    look at the side veiw, short ribs are wide and flat, dinos are not

Pork Ribs vs Beef Ribs1

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NDG
    Options
    What you have pictured here looks like what you are going for based on the recipe provided.  The ones you have are still intact.  So you will have to separate each package into individual pieces as it looks like the three bones are still together.  Hope that makes since.
    Ok whew, thanks for looking !!  Here is better snap showing bones / thickness 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    looks like short to m, there is also very little meat on dino bones.

i think this was a mix of short, maybe pork, some oxtail and i think some lamb ribs. it all comes out good braised

fukahwee maine

• NDG
    Options
    Thanks @fishlessman . . I just flipped though my old recipes and found this short rib recipe from @Griffin blog, made this many years ago . .  just now I am remembering how good it was . . time for a repeat !! 
    Columbus, OH

• fishlessman
    Options
    by the way, those look to be cut like this.  you can braise those or cook them medium rare, they look beefy enough

fukahwee maine

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Dino bones to me are beef plate ribs, usually have a half pound of meat on each rib. Those look like regular short ribs which is what you are wanting.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• NDG
    Options
    Ok thanks again for confirmation . . I skimmed this article below before posting, and somehow was still skeptical 

https://bbqchamps.com/beef-ribs-different-cuts-variations/
    Columbus, OH

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Glad you got what you were looking for in the recipe.  The recipe sounds pretty awesome by the way.  Good luck with it - post some pics!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Those are what you want. Can’t wait to see the result. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    No matter the cut, those ribs are mouthwatering, even in the package.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Missed the conclusion!  Looks fantastic.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Those look great!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I'd definitely hit those!  Nice job