Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT subject but worth a main-stream read- OT News Feeds...

Options

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,404
    Options
    Legume said:
    Perhaps I'm paranoid, but it has felt increasingly to me that there is a hand behind the scenes that is encouraging and supporting this uptick in regional conflicts that will draw the US in.  Spread the US military and resources out, create a drain on the US economy and public support. Endgame Taiwan?  Elections? Something bigger?  Anyway, it feels coordinated to me.  I hope I'm wrong.
    Quite possibly. Next we might see a new and improved Covid, a “supply chain issue with the precursors for 90% of US drugs, or a hold back on all rare earth materials. The supplies of US missiles and ammunition as well as the petroleum strategic reserves are at rock bottom.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think everyone is just bracing for an attack on Taiwan.  Man what a crisis that would be.  Really not clear to me how that would play out, to put it mildly.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    Thanks Joe.
    Memphis, TN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Okay Heavy you spoke up for John. 
    I don’t imagine Iran holds itself to any international court decision much less arbitration that is not in its favor but back to the point of my tour of scandals past.  Nola was obviously 🙄 not aware that a previous president had already flown a plane load of cash to Iran in the middle of the night. In plenty of time to finance and plan this little soirée. You might want to parse out lousubcap’s comment about the current 6 billion at bit. To carry it a bit further with a “right wing “ twist. If you pay the Proud Boy’s mortgages and car loans or even commit to do so for the next year they have plenty of money to buy AR 15’s

I *was* aware, just don't understand why you are linking this Hamas attack on the 50th year anniversary of the 1973 war to releasing Iranian funds.  There are plenty of reasons why this happened, but that's not on anyone's radar except for political hacks and the suckers that believe every lie the utter.
    Options
    From the BBC this afternoon:
    Author
    Raffi Berg, Middle East Editor, online
    Why did Hamas attack now?
    Although the attack by the militants on 7 October came without warning, it happened at a time of soaring Israeli-Palestinian tensions. This year has been the deadliest year on record for Palestinians in the Israeli-occupied West Bank. Hamas might also have been seeking to score a major propaganda victory against Israel to boost its popularity among ordinary Palestinians. The fact that it has taken so many Israelis captive is likely to be aimed at pressuring Israel to free some of the about 4,500 Palestinians held in Israeli prisons - a highly emotive issue for all Palestinians.
    What is Iran’s role in the attack?
    There is speculation that the attack was orchestrated by Iran - Israel's arch-foe - though Iran's ambassador to the UN has denied his country's involvement. Iran and Hamas also staunchly oppose the growing prospect of a historic peace deal between Israel and Saudi Arabia - something which might be thwarted if Israel's military response to the attacks provokes widespread anger in the Arab world.  Diplomatic Correspondent Paul Adamstakes a closer look.
    Is this a major Israeli intelligence failure?
    Yes, says our Security Correspondent Frank Gardner. With the combined efforts of Shin Bet, Israeli domestic intelligence, Mossad, its external spy agency and all the assets of the Israel Defense Forces, he says it is frankly astounding that nobody saw this coming or failed to act on it if they did have a warning.
    "

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think it’s not unreasonable to imagine that Iran played some role here.  No objection there.  

What I do take issue with is casting aspersions at US leadership the day after a terrorist attack on an ally, just to score political points.  I know politicians aren’t willing to let the dust settle before doing so, but maybe we should?  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,958
    Options
    I think it’s not unreasonable to imagine that Iran played some role here.  No objection there.  

What I do take issue with is casting aspersions at US leadership the day after a terrorist attack on an ally, just to score political points.  I know politicians aren’t willing to let the dust settle before doing so, but maybe we should?  
    The right said bidens presidency would lead to these wars. This is just a confirmation😆 china is up next. Russia, Iran, china, who woulda thunkit.......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,710
    Options
    "The right said..."

🤣

Do you have a scoresheet of other things they've said would happen?  I think they have the batting average of a MLB pitcher when it comes to sky is falling predictions. 
    Not a felon
  • fishlessman
    edited October 2023
    Options

Those were just predictions that look to be coming true, not just blaming after the fact as presented.china is still the wild card.....the batting ave is 66percent with the three so far. Do you really like those odds.  
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options

I know it is just stating the obvious but... what ... a ... moron.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    "The right said..."

🤣

Do you have a scoresheet of other things they've said would happen?  I think they have the batting average of a MLB pitcher when it comes to sky is falling predictions. 

its more like crying wolf, this is the time the wolf shows up
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,811
    Options
    Tuesday Israel-Hamas update:

"Israel says it regained control of the border with Gaza. Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, a spokesperson for the Israeli military, said there had been no border incursions from Gaza yesterday. Owen Amos reports for BBC News

Israel was underprepared for Hamas’ surprise attack because its focus on high-tech surveillance was blind to the rudimentary tactics used by Hamas militants in their ground assault, according to military analysts. Additionally, the Israeli Defense Forces were focused on the West Bank, not Gaza, while Israeli intelligence warned of a threat from Hezbollah, Hamas’ ally in Lebanon, military analysts said. Rory Jones and Dion Nissenbaum report for the Wall Street Journal

Pro-Hamas hackers have launched cyber-attacks on Israel. Some attacks put websites offline. Other cyber attacks targeted an Israeli app that warns residents of incoming rocket strikes, sending fake warnings. Earlier this year, Microsoft said a hacking group in Gaza sent malware to energy, defense, and telecommunications companies inside Israel. Joseph Menn reports for the Washington Post.

Hezbollah, an Iran-backed militant group in Lebanon, fired more rockets and artillery at Israel after three of its fighters were killed in a cross-border exchange. Israeli forces struck targets yesterday in Lebanon after an Islamic Jihad raid killed one Israeli soldier and injured six others. The deaths have sparked fears that Hezbollah might open another front against Israel in this conflict. Brad Dress reports for The Hill.  "

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Tuesday Russia-Ukraine update:
    The Biden administration may attach Ukraine funding to a request for urgent aid to Israel, according to several sources. The pairing could increase the chance that Congress approves aid to Ukraine amid growing Republican opposition. No final decision has yet been made about whether to link both requests. Analysts have warned that the Biden administration needs to be cautious of appearing to play political games at a time when Israel needs help. Yasmeen Abutaleb, John Hudson, Jeff Stein, and Leigh Ann Caldwell report for the Washington Post.

Ilia Yevlash, a spokesperson for Ukraine’s eastern group of forces, said troops were making headway in their four-month-old counteroffensive. Yevlash said they had scored “partial success” near Andriivka, which they captured last month along with the nearby locality of Klishhiivka, and were “making headway” in the Bakhmut sector. “We are talking about hundreds of metres at a time that we are liberating from our enemies and strengthening our positions. It is, however, too early to talk about achieving concrete goals,” he said."

• lousubcap
    Options
    More on Israel-Hamas today:

"What does Hamas want? Palestinian statehood and an end to Israeli occupation, for starters. According to AP, reporting Monday from Jerusalem, "Desperation has grown among Palestinians, many of whom see nothing to lose under unending Israeli control and increasing settler depredations in the West Bank, the blockade in Gaza and what they see as the world's apathy." 

Meanwhile, "Israel is run by its most hard-right government ever, dominated by ministers who adamantly reject Palestinian statehood," AP writes. So it's far from clear when the current fighting could come to an end. 

The view from Washington: "Hamas is a terrorist group. Full stop," said a White House official in a phone call with reporters on Saturday, and promised, "we will treat Hamas for what they are. They are an international terrorist organization." 

"The Israelis have described this as their September 11th," a Pentagon official told reporters Monday. "This is ISIS-level savagery that we have seen committed against Israeli civilians—houses burned to the ground, young people massacred at music festivals," the official said. "

• BuckeyeFork
    BuckeyeFork Posts: 191
    edited October 2023
    Options
    @fishlessman gets it

it's been coming for a long time and geriatric joe isn't prepared.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    @fishlessman gets it

I thought the President's speech today was pretty good. I mean, he wasn't getting embarrassed in another court case and he didn't compare his beach body to Trump's but I think it was a strong effort nonetheless.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman gets it

I thought the President's speech today was pretty good. I mean, he wasn't getting embarrassed in another court case and he didn't compare his beach body to Trump's but I think it was a strong effort nonetheless.
    My last check is that the don is a crooked has-been ex president and joes strong effort yesterday was not getting caught falling down =) its funny how some want to compare joe to a loser and say see, joes better
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    Options
    Israel-Hamas Wednesday:

"Strikes across the Israel-Lebanon border entered their third day yesterday, leading to growing fears of a broader conflict that could draw in the Iranian-backed Hezbollah militant group in Lebanon. The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) also said strikes were launched from Syria into Israel yesterday. Two senior Lebanese army officials alleged that Israel had used munitions containing white phosphorus, banned under international law in civilian areas, to respond to attacks from Lebanon. An IDF spokesperson denied these claims. Euan Ward reports for the New York Times

U.S. President Joe Biden urged Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to minimize civilian casualties in Gaza, two Biden administration officials said. The phone call suggests the Biden administration will be attuned to any excessive use of force or breaches of international law as Israel responds to the attack. Monica Alba, Carol E. Lee, and Peter Nicholas report for NBC News

President Biden condemned Hamas’ surprise large-scale attack on Israel as an “act of sheer evil.” According to Israeli public radio, over 1,200 are dead as of this morning, including at least 14 U.S. citizens. About 20 Americans remain unaccounted for, according to U.S. officials. Jared Malsin, Ken Thomas, and Nancy A. Youssef report for the Wall Street Journal

The U.S.S. Gerald R. Ford Carrier Strike Group has arrived in the Eastern Mediterranean as the United States seeks to deter any actor “seeking to escalate the situation or widen this war,” U.S Central Command has stated.  

The United States is considering sending a second aircraft carrier, the U.S.S. Dwight D. Eisenhower, to the Eastern Mediterranean. The potential deployment of a second carrier, along with the associated cruisers, destroyers, and fighter jets, would serve deterrence and messaging purposes. Lara Seligman reports for POLITICO

The first shipment of U.S. advanced weaponry arrived in Israel yesterday, fulfilling an earlier promise made by President Biden. Israel Defense Force spokesperson Daniel Hagari, acknowledging the delivery, said the weapons will “enable significant strikes and preparations for additional scenarios.” Lauren Sforza reports for The Hill

The gridlock over federal spending and the House speaker vacancy has cast doubt over the United States’ ability to send aid to Israel promptly, even as there is bipartisan approval for sending further emergency military aid to Israel. Over 390 members of the House have signed on to a resolution that the United States should send Israel all the means necessary to defeat Hamas. However, there is less agreement about how much should be spent and whether it should be tied to broader aid spending, particularly for Ukraine. Questions have also been raised about what Congress can do without a speaker. Karoun Demirjian reports for the New York Times. "

• lousubcap
    Options
    Russia-Ukraine Wednesday update:
    "Russian forces closed in on Avdiivka in eastern Ukraine as Kyiv warned Moscow was stepping up strikes in an attempt to encircle the front-line town completely. “For over a year, there has been the danger that [Avdiivka] can be occupied, but now the situation has worsened rapidly,” Vitaliy Barabash, head of the town’s administration, told the AFP news agency, adding that Russian forces were trying to besiege the eastern town using “all means”. Avdiivka had a pre-war population of about 31,000 people with an estimated 2,000 residents remaining.

Ukraine’s Air Force said its defence systems destroyed 27 of the 36 drones that Russia launched in its latest air raid on the country. The Iran-made Shahed drones were aimed at the Odesa, Mykolaiv and Kherson regions of Ukraine.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy called for action to ensure Russia did not turn the Black Sea into a “dead zone” for shipping after Moscow’s July move to quit a United Nations-Turkey brokered deal allowing safe Ukrainian grain exports. Visiting Romania for the first time since Russia’s February 2022 invasion, Zelenskyy held talks with President Klaus Iohannis and said he was told “good news” on artillery and air defence supplies, and that Romania would help train Ukrainian pilots how to fly F-16 jets.

Russia failed in its bid to regain a seat at the UN’s top human rights body. In a secret ballot for two seats for Eastern Europe on the Human Rights Council, Bulgaria secured 160 votes and Albania 123. Russia got 83 votes. Russia was removed from the council shortly after its full-scale invasion of Ukraine."
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @fishlessman gets it

My last check is that the don is a crooked has-been ex president and joes strong effort yesterday was not getting caught falling down =) its funny how some want to compare joe to a loser and say see, joes better
    I’m not sure it’s funny so much as necessary, because the reality is that so many appear to be perfectly happy voting for the loser.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman gets it

I’m not sure it’s funny so much as necessary, because the reality is that so many appear to be perfectly happy voting for the loser.

instead of an election, cant we just have the both of them race down a flight of stairs....then start over with new candidates
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Options
    Fish - it sounds like you would like a more able-bodied president, maybe one that rides bare chested on horseback?  
    Not a felon
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    Fish - it sounds like you would like a more able-bodied president, maybe one that rides bare chested on horseback?  
    Able-minded...Putin's out too. His race should be out a ten story window
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    edited October 2023
    Options
    More Israel-Hamas material:

After conducting waves of punishing airstrikes on Tuesday, Israeli troops appear poised to begin a ground operation into Hamas-ruled Gaza following the arrival of the first planeload of unspecified U.S. weapons for Israel to the Nevatim air base late in the evening. 

New: The U.S. Navy's USS Gerald R. Ford Carrier Strike Group arrived on location to the eastern Mediterranean Sea on Tuesday. 

"Let me be clear: We did not move the carrier for Hamas," White House National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan said Tuesday. "We moved the carrier to send a clear message of deterrence to other states or non-state actors that might seek to widen this war."

Sullivan also said U.S. officials are involved with "contingency planning for any and all escalation scenarios," and that they're "consulting with allies and partners as well about all of the potential scenarios that might unfold in the days ahead."

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin called his counterpart Yoav Gallant on Tuesday to reaffirm "the U.S. commitment to expedite air defense capabilities and munitions requested by Israel in support of their efforts to defend the Israeli people," the Pentagon said in a statement

Turkey's leader Recep Erdogan is angry over Israel's airstrikes on Gaza, and said Tuesday, "I need to reveal something: The U.S. has 23 bases in Syria." Reuters notes that Turkey, "which backed Palestinians in the past and hosted members of Hamas, had been working to mend ties with Israel after years of animosity before the latest violence."

Erdogan also predicted the U.S. carrier group will escalate the violence, telling reporters in Ankara on Tuesday, "What will the aircraft carrier of the U.S. do near Israel, why do they come? What will boats around and aircraft on it do? They will hit Gaza and around, and take steps for serious massacres there."

And the leader of a prominent regional militia said his fighters are ready to attack "the American enemy in its bases and disrupt its interests if it intervenes in this battle." That's according to Ahmad al-Hamidawi, who leads Kataib Hezbollah. He said in a statement Wednesday that his group has "missiles, drones, and special forces" that are prepared to widen the conflict, the Associated Press reports. 

Was Israel's Iron Dome air defense system overwhelmed by Hamas' initial attack? ABC News doesn't offer an answer, but it does assess the capabilities of that system in a sort of explainer published Tuesday, here

Get some insight into the man leading Hamas' attacks, Mohammed Deif, via a review published Tuesday by Reuters. He's a mysterious figure who shuns cameras and prefers to be presented as a man in the shadows. 

Monitoring: U.S. officials still haven't found direct evidence showing a link between Hamas and Iran in terms of planning and executing this latest attack. "We are talking to our Israeli counterparts on a daily basis about this question," Jake Sullivan said Tuesday in Washington. "But as I stand here today, while Iran plays this broad role — sustained, deep, and dark role — in providing all of this support and capabilities to Hamas, in terms of this particular gruesome attack on Oct. 7, we don't currently have that information," he said. "We will continue to look for it. And if we find it, we will share that with you.""

• Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    Able-minded...Putin's out too. His race should be out a ten story window
    I honestly don't know why anyone new or young would want to run, it's become so toxic. I suppose there are some that embrace the toxicity, but that's never going to be the right direction.
    Not a felon
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @fishlessman gets it

I believe that the reason for the CHEETO support is not happiness but not wanting to confront the fact that they have been conned by the great charlatan aka CHEETO.  He!!, they are still sending in $$ to front his legal battles.  
    CHEETO makes Nixon look like a saint.  
  • Legume
    Options
    Here's a good write up on the history of Israel and Palestine, author pretty much sticks to the middle.

https://x.com/ike_saul/status/1711780282725011520?s=46&t=4em0LYfz5c5TFz7m1PPrBA
    Not a felon