Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Placeholder for internet things that are funny or cool

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,809
    Legume said:
    Small pool of potential respond with only those choices and RRP away for a while. I'll go with It's Always Sunny, Arrested Development and the Office.
    Those three definitely on my short list as well. I would also add South Park and a nod to Reno 911 as well. Honorable mention in the cancelled way too soon category is Freaks and Geeks.
    Stillwater, MN
  • StillH2OEgger
    the dh is always over looked......big papi isnt the best ball player but makes the top of the legend list
    Like a lot of players, he certainly became better when the PEDs entered the picture.

only the salty yankee fans believe that........ =)
    He would have never been a late spring add on for the Red Sox if he had only started juicing while still playing for the Twins.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,565
    edited June 30

Emperor penguin chicks jump off a 50-foot cliff in Antarctica NEVER-BEFORE-FILMED FOR TV | Nat Geo. (linked below)

https://youtu.be/4PwDFddpo4c 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,038
    ^^^  Amazing!  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,348
    @lousubcap - Thanks for posting the penguin video, very cool.  The one that went first is very courageous.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,079
    dbCooper said:
    @lousubcap - Thanks for posting the penguin video, very cool.  The one that went first is very courageous.
    Especially since a good number of the subsequent ones clearly had to be pushed!  

What an incredible video.  Drones for the win on this one!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,212
    very cool.  after 5 years with a wood duck house i finally saw the baby wood ducks jump one after another. only about 12 feet high, but baby wood ducks are very small. a dozen jumped in about a half minute....tiny cannonballs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • StillH2OEgger
    very cool.  after 5 years with a wood duck house i finally saw the baby wood ducks jump one after another. only about 12 feet high, but baby wood ducks are very small. a dozen jumped in about a half minute....tiny cannonballs
    Very cool. That is awesome to witness.
    Stillwater, MN
  • dbCooper
    Mrs. Cooper has tired of being my sous-chef, so she contracted with a temp agency for my cook today.  I like the initiative and enthusiasm of the person they sent out but, something is not right with her.  Don't have a handle on just what it is yet.

Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    Sounds like an @fishlessman story:
    I went fishing this morning, but after a short time, I ran out of worms.
    Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a cottonmouth with a frog in his mouth.
    "Frogs are good bass bait," I thought to myself.
    Knowing the snake couldn't bite me with the frog in his mouth, I grabbed him right behind the head, took the frog, and put it in my bait bucket.
    Just then, I realized I had a problem, how was I going to release the snake without getting bit?
    So, I grabbed my bottle of Jack Daniel's and poured a little whiskey in its mouth. The snakes eyes rolled back and he went limp. I released him into the lake without incident and carried on fishing using the frog.
    A little later, I felt a nudge at my foot.
    There was that same snake with two more frogs in his mouth.
    Life is good to fishermen .
    🇺🇸🐍
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    There's been a shift again in the ewetube algorithm, and suddenly it thinks I'm fascinated with Lou Gramm/Foreigner (I'm not) and hooked me up with a group called "Bad Taxidermy", which is quite amusing.  Start with carnivore teeth in an herbivore:  

That old Burl Ives TV christmas special involving Rudolph and the Abominable Snowman could've been a lot more interesting with this thing.   :o  

• Botch
    AI gymnasts.  More than a little creepy.  (only the first video worked for me)

https://petapixel.com/2024/07/10/hilarious-ai-gymnastics-video-shows-how-far-the-technology-has-to-go/

• JohnInCarolina
    Botch said:
    There's been a shift again in the ewetube algorithm, and suddenly it thinks I'm fascinated with Lou Gramm/Foreigner (I'm not) 
    You’ve probably just been watching too much Rick Beato there, @Botch
  • Botch
    Botch said:
    There's been a shift again in the ewetube algorithm, and suddenly it thinks I'm fascinated with Lou Gramm/Foreigner (I'm not) 
    You’ve probably just been watching too much Rick Beato there, @Botch
    That's a good guess, but I haven't clonked on his lonks regarding foreigner.  Dunno.  

• dbCooper
    Thanks Botch, interesting read and conclusion.  🙂
    Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    That is a great read @Botch.  Many thanks.
    Perhaps that can clear curriculum in today's school houses. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,966
    edited July 12
    @Botch great read. Reminds me of an IT colleague who used to work at Macdonnell Douglas many many years ago as a draftsperson. This was pre internet, part of his job description was to plan the route for wings delivery by land, making sure to avoid any bridges and tunnels that wouldn't 'fit'!
    canuckland
  • lousubcap

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,212
    Botch said:
    I worked at Thiokol for two years on the Space Shuttle's Reuseable Solid Rocket Motors, or RSRMs.  I read this story while there, and I probably have a paper copy in a box downstairs somewhere.  I found it on the 'net yesterday and thought I'd share it here, cool how things from ancient times can influence the modern world.

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used?

Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads. Why did the English build them like that?

Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used. So, why did 'they' use that gauge then?

Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing. Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?

Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts. So who built those old rutted roads?

Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.

And what about the ruts in the roads?

Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' asses.)

Now, the twist to the story:

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass.

And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important? Ancient horse's asses control almost everything.

Practical govt engineering😁 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,624
    Botch said:
    I worked at Thiokol for two years on the Space Shuttle's Reuseable Solid Rocket Motors, or RSRMs.  I read this story while there, and I probably have a paper copy in a box downstairs somewhere.  I found it on the 'net yesterday and thought I'd share it here, cool how things from ancient times can influence the modern world.

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used?

Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads. Why did the English build them like that?

Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used. So, why did 'they' use that gauge then?

Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing. Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?

Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts. So who built those old rutted roads?

Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.

And what about the ruts in the roads?

Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' asses.)

Now, the twist to the story:

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass.

And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important? Ancient horse's asses control almost everything.

Practical govt engineering😁 
    It reminds me of the time I had to explain how to calculate the area in an acre. It’s been over 40 years but I seem to recall his reply starting with “ Bloody Yanks!” He was an engineer from South Africa. An acre is 10 square chains . A chain consists of 66 links that are a foot long. My parents 5 acre lot is 330 by 660 feet.
  • Botch
    The one I find amusing is how shotgun gauges are determined:  

• Common shotgun gauges are 10-gauge, 12-gauge, 16-gauge, 20-gauge, and 28-gauge. The smaller the gauge number, the larger the shotgun bore. Gauge is determined by the number of lead balls of size equal to the approximate diameter of the bore that it takes to weigh one pound. For example, it would take 12 lead balls with the same diameter as a 12-gauge shotgun bore to weigh one pound. Today, however, gauge can be measured much the same way as caliber, by measuring the inside bore diameter.

• Botch

• lousubcap
    Something different for you snake lovers-

Welcome to Project RattleCam

Uncover the Secret Lives of Snakes
    https://rattlecam.org/
  • Botch
    Portrait of a fungus weevil.

• Botch
    Here's a 4-minute video of a drone "climbing" up to Mt Everest.  I knew the mountain was now "crawling with tourists/wannabes" but I had no idea...  

https://youtu.be/0pIyIMqwu0E?si=kuxGNOc526q3AAKU

• JohnInCarolina
    @Botch - thanks for sharing that, pretty interesting.

Have you read Krakauer’s book “Into Thin Air” ? It’s one of the most important books written about Everest, in my opinion.  
  • dbCooper
    Friend of mine is a rock hound, his wife discovered this yesterday . . .

Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    Paging @SGH-