Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Placeholder for internet things that are funny or cool

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    dmchicago said:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60662541
    I’ve read several books about Shackleton. This is an amazing find. 

I was familiar with the name, and have been marveling about the underwater photos recently; tonight PBS told a lot of the backstory.
    Since you've read several books on the journey, which one would you recommend?  This is a fascinating story.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    what was the fuss about

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    https://taskandpurpose.com/news/space-force-cislunar-highway-patrol/

I didn’t even read the article, to be honest. I just love the headline. Especially the last bit. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • fishlessman
    we already have a highway patrol

CHiPs The Complete Third Season DVD

fukahwee maine

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    If anyone aspires to be a legal pirate contact your congressperson to get this bill passed...

117th CONGRESS
    2d Session

H. R. 6869

To authorize the President of the United States to issue letters of marque and reprisal for the purpose of seizing the assets of certain Russian citizens, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
    February 28, 2022

Mr. Gooden of Texas introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Foreign Affairs

A BILL

To authorize the President of the United States to issue letters of marque and reprisal for the purpose of seizing the assets of certain Russian citizens, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. Issuance of letters of marque and reprisal for purpose of seizing assets of certain Russian citizens.

(a) Authority of President.—The President of the United States is authorized and requested to commission, under officially issued letters of marque and reprisal, so many of privately armed and equipped persons and entities as, in the judgment of the President, the service may require, with suitable instructions to the leaders thereof, to employ all means reasonably necessary to seize outside the geographic boundaries of the United States and its territories any yacht, plane, or other asset of any Russian citizen who is on the List of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons maintained by the Office of Foreign Assets Control of the Department of the Treasury.

(b) Security bonds.—No letter of marque and reprisal shall be issued by the President without requiring the posting of a security bond in such amount as the President shall determine is sufficient to ensure that the letter be executed according to the terms and conditions thereof.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/6869/text?r=1&s=1

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2022

dbCooper said:
    If anyone aspires to be a legal pirate contact your congressperson to get this bill passed...

117th CONGRESS
    2d Session

H. R. 6869

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
    February 28, 2022

Mr. Gooden of Texas introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Foreign Affairs

A BILL

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. Issuance of letters of marque and reprisal for purpose of seizing assets of certain Russian citizens.

(a) Authority of President.—The President of the United States is authorized and requested to commission, under officially issued letters of marque and reprisal, so many of privately armed and equipped persons and entities as, in the judgment of the President, the service may require, with suitable instructions to the leaders thereof, to employ all means reasonably necessary to seize outside the geographic boundaries of the United States and its territories any yacht, plane, or other asset of any Russian citizen who is on the List of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons maintained by the Office of Foreign Assets Control of the Department of the Treasury.

(b) Security bonds.—No letter of marque and reprisal shall be issued by the President without requiring the posting of a security bond in such amount as the President shall determine is sufficient to ensure that the letter be executed according to the terms and conditions thereof.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/6869/text?r=1&s=1

Texas is the new Florida.

LOL
    With her tho, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    HeavyG said:

LOL

I didn't need that tone-deaf example of ignorance to convince me she's a piece of work - she only cares about Candace Owens, nothing else. 

I came across this, interesting.  This was from 7 years ago, just some first hand cultural differences btwn Russians and Ukrainians.

I was in the Peace Corps in Ukraine for 2 years from 1993-95. Everything I write here is a matter of my personal opinion. It is based on my own observations but its just one person's take.

I lived in Ireland after serving in the Peace Corps and have Irish as well as US citizenship. The only reason I bring this up is because very strong parallels exist between Ukraine and Ireland, (and their relationships with their colonizing Eastern neighbors) in my view. Irish langugae is stronger in the West of Ireland. Same in Ukraine; Ukrainian langugae is really only a factor in the extreme West of Ukraine. Ireland has many leftovers of a colonial past but generally gets on well with the UK now. Same in Ukriane until recently re: Russia. Horrible famine in Ireland. An even worse one in Ukraine that happened more recently (1931-34), and the famine in Ukraine was not due to any disease or blight but was entirely man made due to Stalin's desire to purge Kulaks and collectivize farms.
    Most popular music, TV shows and media that Ukrainians watch/listen to are in Russian. Virtually all Ukrainians speak Russian fluently until you get to Ternopil. West of Ternopil and especially in Lviv they choose not to, but certainly can (particularly anyone over 30). Ukraine has a more liberal press, but it is also an under-resourced press.

Odessa is simply Odessa. Its long been an independent region of cultural ferment and the arts, designed by an Irish/Spanish architect, and home to pirates, poets, artists and dissidents. Its not Ukrainian. Its not even Russian (although many important events iun Russian history happened there;). Its Odessan. Think of it as Texas. Its an independent state within a state.

The extreme east of Ukraine, especially the Donbass, is Russian. Part of the reason for this is that this region was de-populated of all ethnic Ukrainians because most died in the famine, which hit hardest here. Donetsk and Luhansk and the surrounding area want to be part of Russia. Period. Its useless and even silly to argue otherwise. Kharkiv is another matter. While the city of Kharkiv leans towards Russia and is very close to the Russian border, the surrounding Oblast (i.e., state or province) is primarily Ukrainian speaking. A rough dividing line is the Dnieper river. West of that river is Ukranian with no desire to be part of Russia. East of the Dnieper does, to varying degrees, have a strong Russian influence. In truth, the oligarchs that control the industrial South and East probably wish to remain in Ukraine (see Mariupol) but the Donbass does not. Donetsk and Luhansk just do not. And the same is true of Crimea, which is indisputably and utterly Russian and was only made part of Ukraine by Khruschev in 1954.

As for cultural differences, Ukrainians have strong Polish, Lithuanian and Austro-Hungarian historical influences that Russia just does not. And Ukrainians had a tradition of owning their own land and small farms for millenia that never existed in Russia. Ukraine is a farming and agricultural-based society for millenia in a way Russia never was. One important note: a common Russian term for a Ukranian is "Khokhol." It is a derogatory term and essentially means "hick." Like guajiro for a Cuban not from Havana. Irish (particularly those from Dublin) refer to country folk among their own as culchie. The English call them paddys or micks. And that is one difference: the Russians have such a derogatory term for all Ukrainians that essentially calls them all country bumpkins while Ukrainians don't have such a catch-all term for Russians.
    Russian women drink vodka and will drink with men. Traditionally, Ukrainian women do not do this and will drink wine or champagne (but not Vodka) and at a remove from the men. Ukrainians drink a lot, but not as much as Russians. (Ukrainians drink as much as Poles. Only the Finnish come close to Russians. And Russians still "win.").

Russians are more xenophobic. Russians are also, particularly at the elite levels of society, more socially liberal. Much more, in fact. Ukrainian women are more demure than Russian women. Ukrainians have more food at large social gatherings and weddings (especially) than Russians do (Russians will have more drink). Ukrainians, when they come together, sing. Russians tell more stories and anecdotes. That's what you do with friends. Both cultures toast and love poetry but Russians have a greater literary bent.

Ukraine lost more of its people in WW II than anywhere on earth. Including Poland. Ukraine suffered more in WW II; more than anywhere else. It is also fair to say that in terms of Soviet military casualties, Ukrainians lost proportionally more people than anywhere else in the USSR. Russians do not like to acknowledge this, and see the victory in WWII as theirs and theirs alone and think the Ukrainians should be grateful for being liberated. SInce many ethnic Ukrainians (partuicularly in the West) sided with the Nazis (at first, and only at first) b/c they thought anything was better than Stalin after the famine and deportations, this is a loaded topic.
    It is fair to say that Ukrainians are less fearful of the West than Russians. But Russians appreciate culture more, particularly high culture (poetry, ballet) and are more urban. And while all slavs are into mysticism, no-one beats the Russians in this regard.

In all, many more similarities between the two peoples than differences. But there are some important differences.

HeavyG said:

LOL

Keep the politics out of this thread, please.  Thanks.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City is asking customers to not order their brisket, due to inflated costs.  Having eaten there frequently, I'd pay the new prices without complaining.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    dbCooper said:
    Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City is asking customers to not order their brisket, due to inflated costs.  Having eaten there frequently, I'd pay the new prices without complaining.

It's simple.  You pass the increase on to the customer.  Currently, the economy is a money grab.  Oh covid.  Oh gas prices.  Oh supply chain.  Oh the war.  Here's our price.  Take it or leave it.  People seem to have plenty of money and will pay. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • dmchicago
    edited March 2022
    So, the Cleveland Browns got a new QB, eh?

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    dmchicago said:

Brutal
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited March 2022
    kl8ton said:
    dbCooper said:

It's simple.  You pass the increase on to the customer.  Currently, the economy is a money grab.  Oh covid.  Oh gas prices.  Oh supply chain.  Oh the war.  Here's our price.  Take it or leave it.  People seem to have plenty of money and will pay. 
    Agree 100%.  The fast food drive-in chains are charging over $10 for a burger/fries/drink around here, and still have long lines.  Freddy’s is $10.19 for a single combo. Burger King is $10.95 for a Whopper combo.  You can eat at a nice restaurant for much less, and get a healthy meal!
    No money shortages around here.  This is an “oilfield” region, so home prices have soared, as have vehicles and everything else. Business is booming for the people that have oil wells on their land.
  • fishlessman
    kl8ton said:
    dbCooper said:

Agree 100%.  The fast food drive-in chains are charging over $10 for a burger/fries/drink around here, and still have long lines.  Freddy’s is $10.19 for a single combo. Burger King is $10.95 for a Whopper combo.  You can eat at a nice restaurant for much less, and get a healthy meal!
    No money shortages around here.  This is an “oilfield” region, so home prices have soared, as have vehicles and everything else. Business is booming for the people that have oil wells on their land.
    But 2 whoppers for 6 bucks is a bargain.
    fukahwee maine

• dmchicago

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    dmchicago said:

Don’t try this at home, kids!  Leave the chickens up the poophole to professionals.
  • dmchicago said:

Don’t try this at home, kids!  Leave the chickens up the poophole to professionals.
    Ho lee chit
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Sounds more like a typical Kansas news story.
    Did drunk Christopher misunderstand "choking the chicken"?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    from my inbox :D  any ideas

It’s time to pick your Trump Social username

fukahwee maine

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    For our British friends 

Las Vegas, NV