Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preserving Peppers?

Options
Hey guys I'm actually having success growing my habaneros this year. Would like some ideas to preserve them to last until next spring. 

Anybody ever tried dehydrating them? Wanting to be able to add to pizzas etc.

Anybody crushed made pepper flakes?

Mom canned me some habanero peach jelly last night but obviously I don't want the whole  crop stored this way.

What about just canning the peppers?

Would appreciate input

Comments

• TrippleRipple
    Options
    Dehydrating them works well. My advice is to do EVERYTHING outside. The dehydrating and the grinding. I maced my entire kitchen with reapers two years ago.

I would also pickle some like I would jalapeños. Maybe with onion and garlic. 

Good luck!! Swish with some heavy cream before you do any taste testing.
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @TrippleRipple

What process did you go through dehydrating ?
    Did you just dehydrate then vacuum seal? Or do you have to grind after dehydrating ?
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I just dehydrate chillis on a tray in a very low oven, or dehydrate / smoke them on a very low temperature Egg.

They can be kept in a sealed jar and ground as needed.

Fementation is also good for preserving chillies. Have a look at the lacto-fermentation thread.
  • TrippleRipple
    Options
    @DuckDogDr

Dried them in a standard food dehydrator. Then ground them an a coffee grinder I use for spices. The trouble is, when you grind coffee, it smells good. When you grind spices, the also smell good. 

When grind peppers with a high Scoville rating, you create nothing short of mace. Coughing, eyes watering, snot.....plug in an extension cord, go as far from the house as you can.
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    Or you could just freeze them in food saver pouches. Don’t wash them first or if so thoroughly dry them before freezing.
  • BSR
    BSR Posts: 165
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Any oven or toaster oven propped open that you can set 180 or less will do. I have a dehydrator now set at 135 and it's worth it. Jars are fine, no need to vac bag.

You can also look into fermenting, pickling, canning salsa, jerky, jams, cowboy candy, list goes on. I grow tons of peppers so I love this stuff.

Smoked or minor char on the egg before dehydrating or salsa is nice too.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dehydration is the way to go.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,686
    Options
    You could pickle them in vinegar like jalapeños. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,686
    Options
    Or make fermented hot sauce.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eoin
    Options
    Or make fermented hot sauce.
    Fermented then made into a paste is good too.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,781
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Lactose Fermentation , if you do a brine fermentation , you can get your pickled peppers and eat as is, or blend into a sauce then separate the pulp , dehydrate the pulp and grind that to a powder....save your brine and use it on salads, a spritz for proteins etc...3 easy uses from 1 pepper ...i mix the dehydrated mash 50/50 with kosher salt or use as is ....there is a thread buried in OT here that will give you some ideas
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BSR
    edited July 2021
    Options
    If you're on Facebook there's a good group on there "Fermented hot sauce society" that is pretty good.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    You can also leave them on the counter to dehydrate. I use a cheap dehydrator and have jars full of crushed red peppers. I give smaller jars to friends who I know like spicy foods. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,811
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    You can also leave them on the counter to dehydrate. I use a cheap dehydrator and have jars full of crushed red peppers. I give smaller jars to friends who I know like spicy foods. 

ive dried the thai peppers in the window one year, pulled the whole plant out and hung it upsidedown to dry and used as needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Making a Ristra is an option.  You get a nice decoration as a bonus.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Do you have to crush / grind once dehydrated?
    Thanks for all the replies
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Habanero peach jelly sounds amazing!!
  • BSR
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    I don't until I'm ready to use them, I just keep them in a jar.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,502
    Options
    This afternoon I watched a Rick Bayless video on making blackened habanero salsa, but it was "refrigerator-safe" for a couple weeks, and not a good solution for a big crop (it could be canned, I guess).  
    He used about ten peppers, and stressed to toast the 3 cloves of garlic too, as raw garlic would overpower the salsa (yeah, right)!  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• BSR
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Habanero peach jelly sounds amazing!!
    Might have to make some of that, I have fresh gerogia peaches and habeneros right out of the garden.

A real quick one is dry the habeneros most of the way and put them in a jar if honey, the longer you wait the better.
  • Eoin
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Some Indian recipes call for whole dried chillies, so it's useful to keep at least some whole. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The ultimate preservation technique (if it wasn't for the cost) is to freeze-dry.

I've been looking at freeze-dryers for years.  I have never pulled the trigger, although I've come close on some used units.

It's not just that they start around $3k, but they use a lot of electricity, make hella noise and are huge.  A batch takes 10-30 hours in the unit.

On the up side, freeze drying give you what's normally in the "too-good-to-be-true" mythological traits:  Full nutrition, fresh taste, almost unlimited shelf life, no refrigeration or preservatives needed, options to use as is or quickly re-hydrate to fresh level, etc.

You can recoup your cost if you keep it running.  Allows you to buy in bulk very perishable foods (think by-the-case at Restaurant Despot), and not use freezer space.

</sigh>
    Options
    The ultimate preservation technique (if it wasn't for the cost) is to freeze-dry.

I've been looking at freeze-dryers for years.  I have never pulled the trigger, although I've come close on some used units.

It's not just that they start around $3k, but they use a lot of electricity, make hella noise and are huge.  A batch takes 10-30 hours in the unit.

On the up side, freeze drying give you what's normally in the "too-good-to-be-true" mythological traits:  Full nutrition, fresh taste, almost unlimited shelf life, no refrigeration or preservatives needed, options to use as is or quickly re-hydrate to fresh level, etc.

You can recoup your cost if you keep it running.  Allows you to buy in bulk very perishable foods (think by-the-case at Restaurant Despot), and not use freezer space.

</sigh>
    Do you think you can effectively rehydrate a fresh pod to good as new? Otherwise freezing works great if you're going to make a powder or sauce later although I don't personally freeze them.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    BSR said:

</sigh>
    Do you think you can effectively rehydrate a fresh pod to good as new? Otherwise freezing works great if you're going to make a powder or sauce later although I don't personally freeze them.
    Yes, they rehydrate and look, feel, smell and taste like they are fresh.  It's amazing.  Also, they rehydrate very fast, unlike dried vegetables and fruit.  They maintain their look and shape when they are dehydrated, just weigh a fraction of the original as most foods are mostly water.

You store in jars or bags, the best container is an oxygen non-permeable mylar lined bag with an oxygen removing bag in it (basically it's iron dust that reacts with oxygen and converts to rust - similar to desiccant bags).  You can store at room temperature, although it's recommended to store at cellar temps. 

Options
    Options
    Greg over @ Ballistic BBQ has one and does a decent review on it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Greg over @ Ballistic BBQ has one and does a decent review on it 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Wio4I-s-E

Options
    BSR said:

</sigh>
    Yes, they rehydrate and look, feel, smell and taste like they are fresh.  It's amazing.  Also, they rehydrate very fast, unlike dried vegetables and fruit.  They maintain their look and shape when they are dehydrated, just weigh a fraction of the original as most foods are mostly water.

You store in jars or bags, the best container is an oxygen non-permeable mylar lined bag with an oxygen removing bag in it (basically it's iron dust that reacts with oxygen and converts to rust - similar to desiccant bags).  You can store at room temperature, although it's recommended to store at cellar temps. 

Pretty cool I had no idea that you could rehydrate so easily to a like new condition, I'd love to try that...

Grilling a few tonight. Really wanted to try that Aji Lemon but it fell through the grate before I opened the grill back up.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    I get to go pick my peppers 🌶 tomorrow. Habaneros, jalapeños, and Aji Amarillo ( which translates to Aji Yellow). Hopefully I remember to take a picture.
  • Eoin
    Options
    BSR said:
    BSR said:

</sigh>

Pretty cool I had no idea that you could rehydrate so easily to a like new condition, I'd love to try that...

Grilling a few tonight. Really wanted to try that Aji Lemon but it fell through the grate before I opened the grill back up.

I grow Aji Lemon sometimes, they're nice.

Slow this year in the UK though, we had a really cold spring. I have some green fruit and a lot of flowers at the moment.