Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokey peach spicy ribs.

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Did a couple racks of Baby Back Ribs, with our family returning from Italy, as they have retired from the State Department, completing their career of foreign service. We have been cooking some great meals since their arrival to our home on Friday. Everything has been egged thus far, Tri Tip with a Mediterranean marinade, Wings, and tonight we did Ribs.

I love cooking ribs. Today, I used olive oil as a base, and did a stout, spicy and savory rub. Smoked at 225°F using peach wood, and at 175°F internal, I used a peach preserve, honey and sriracha glaze, heated to 140°F. Let them ride unwrapped until the toothpick said it was done. They were off the chart, delicious.
Don’t forget; hydrate, while you wait. I also seasoned my Mattstone grill today, one I had sitting in the box for 3 years, until we decided to finally put it together. Used grape seed oil in the process, turned out really well. 4 applications, Sunday will be our first cook.

Thanx for looking, hoping your day was grand.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Excellent looking ribs.
    Congratulations to your family on their retirement and return home. Their service to the country is greatly appreciated.   
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Beauty !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GregW said:
    Excellent looking ribs.
    Congratulations to your family on their retirement and return home. Their service to the country is greatly appreciated.   
    Thank you for your kind words. 

Just as many of their posts have been in less than favorable locations, throughout the world, as they have had in some really sweet situations. They have served our country in Central and South America, Europe, and Africa. They were in places where they were given little or no warning of unrest, causing  an immediate evacuation having to leave everything behind. You pack differently when moving into those situations than you do more in more stable countries. You learn what is important, immediately.

Now they are heading back to their home; back to NOLA. I hope they decide to write a book detailing their experiences someday, it will be an eloquent delivery of lives rich in moments many only dare to dream of.

It is amazing, the languages they had to become expert with; French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and others. Everyday they ran into different challenges. 

As they adjust their body clocks back to the USA, we have been helping them get some chill time. I just put on a brisket this morning, smoking it with pecan. We will be having Robin’s Bloody Maries to go along with breakfast off the Mattstone grill later this morning. There is nothing better than easing back into it.

I myself, just as many of you can relate. I have seen the sun rise in The Netherlands, and watched it set in San Francisco, on the same day. My backside was dragging.

The way they are doing it is what I call “Retiring Right.”

I will add to the post later.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Beauty !!
    Thank you, they were delicious.

We had maybe a half of one rack left, which will be made into sliders. we served roast corn on the cob, using Dukes, Asiago, Parmesan and Romano, all mixed in with some chili powder. We also had homemade peach cobbler for desert. 

I finished the evening with 2 fingers of Bulleit. A great day was had.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Fantastic looking ribs Ron
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Thank you John. It has been a long time my friend. Hope all is well with you these days. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    wowzer...what an awesome day!!!  Congrats to all!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Great writing above regarding their career with the State Department.  You and Suzy are definitely making their transition to the "every day is Saturday" life style one of much appreciation, never mind a thorough launch into Q cuisine.  
    BTW-nailed those ribs.  That glaze sounds great.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    wowzer...what an awesome day!!!  Congrats to all!!!
    Thank you sir. It has been a bit of a special occasion for us. Trying to make it equally special for them as well. So far it has been fun. Brisket has been rolling at 225°F since 0430 this morning. 

Heading to the Blackstone to whip up breakfast for everyone.

Hoping your day is flawless.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great writing above regarding their career with the State Department.  You and Suzy are definitely making their transition to the "every day is Saturday" life style one of much appreciation, never mind a thorough launch into Q cuisine.  
    BTW-nailed those ribs.  That glaze sounds great.  
    Thank you Frank. It means a lot.

The glaze worked out very well, and we are looking forward to making sliders from those poor pieces that were left.

Today is Brisket day, something we have been looking forward to. As you probably know some cuts of beef are just not found in places like Ghana or even Italy, so that is the guide for the meals here, to get them some of the things they have missed.

Hoping your Sunday is great, and always, tipping my hat to the man that taught me how to do brisket right on the BGE.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Ron… wow what a great set of meals.  Them ribs have me drooling.  Congrats to your family retiring and thanks for their service.  Hope you and Suzy doing well. Been too long!

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Ribs are my kryptonite. Yours look great Ron!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    @YukonRon Those are great looking ribs. 
    Thanks for sharing some of the details about your relatives, that was enjoyable to read.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    I’m stealing these for July 4th, thanks for the inspiration. As a matter of fact your wife’s bourbon slushees are also on the menu. My neighbors thank you as well.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Ron… wow what a great set of meals.  Them ribs have me drooling.  Congrats to your family retiring and thanks for their service.  Hope you and Suzy doing well. Been too long!

Johnny, you are so right, it has been too long my friend. Thank you for the kind words. We pulled them at 187°F IT, and they were very tender, the bones were just shy of falling out. 

I will be using this going forward with my pork butts as well.

As always, hoping all is great for you and your family.

We must plan to get together soon.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Ribs are my kryptonite. Yours look great Ron!
    Mine too, we really do. I hope you get to try this on a future cook, you will enjoy it.

Thank you for the kind words, and hope your day is wonderful.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    @YukonRon Those are great looking ribs. 
    Thanks for sharing some of the details about your relatives, that was enjoyable to read.
    Thank you sir, for the kind words. I hope you get to try them sometime, you will not regret it. We have been fortunate to travel with them in their destinations, we got in to the Vatican on Christmas Eve, and spent New Years Eve in the bay of Venice for the countdown and fireworks/celebration that followed. Might not be the last time we do it, but it was awesome to do it.

While in Rome, My Beautiful Wife and I hiked the Seven Hills trail. I recommend anyone that wants to see Rome, and is into hiking, this is the way.

Hoping all is well with you and yours.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I’m stealing these for July 4th, thanks for the inspiration. As a matter of fact your wife’s bourbon slushees are also on the menu. My neighbors thank you as well.
    Feel free my friend, as I may return the favor sometime. I think that recipe has made it to Europe, Asia, South America and naturally North America. Maybe one day the Arctic and Antarctic, who knows?

I am glad your neighbors enjoyed them. Try it as a marinade on Shrimp. We have grilled some and they did not suck.

Thank you for the kind words, and I am raising my glass to you, July 4!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Great looking wibbies!
    " peach preserve, honey and sriracha glaze" . . . wow totally new concept!
    Thanks for posting that
    What 
    proportions did you use?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @loco_engr
    I am thinking maybe 8:1:2 preserves, Honey, Sriracha. I would urge you to mix and sample until it fits your flavor profile.

A very close friend suggested I add bourbon to the mix next time......I will.

thank you for your kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @loco_engr
    I am thinking maybe 8:1:2 preserves, Honey, Sriracha. I would urge you to mix and sample until it fits your flavor profile.

A very close friend suggested I add bourbon to the mix next time......I will.

thank you for your kind words.

Wow!  Those look delicious!  And the story behind the cook makes it all so much better.  If I may ask, did you use the glaze from the beginning of the cook?  I’m guessing the cooking temp was kept low enough to keep the sugars in the glaze from burning at all.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Great question, the glaze was put on the ribs during the last hour or so of  the cook. I did not increase the temperature from 225°F. For Pork butts I place it on at the beginning of the cook, because I want that char to form to help it retain moisture. The char itself is delicious, combining Smokey sweet, spicy savory flavors.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Great question, the glaze was put on the ribs during the last hour or so of  the cook. I did not increase the temperature from 225°F. For Pork butts I place it on at the beginning of the cook, because I want that char to form to help it retain moisture. The char itself is delicious, combining Smokey sweet, spicy savory flavors.
    That makes sense.  Thanks so much for sharing!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Now that’s a real turd maker right there. Looks incredible 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    Jcl5150 said:
    YukonRon said:
    That makes sense.  Thanks so much for sharing!
    Hope I helped.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SGH said:
    YukonRon said:

Now that’s a real turd maker right there. Looks incredible 👍
    I always look forward to your comments, Scottie. Thank you for the kind words, my BIL, the tug boat captain and chef in New Orleans, who has since passed always “ribbed” me about my BGE cooks. He often utilized that same term.

We miss him.

He was the one that would load every cooler he had with shrimp, crab oysters and other delicious items from Louisiana and head up here on every 3 day weekend holiday, to do a boil. His last cook here we fed about 250 folks, comprised of neighbors, friends and Family. We had  keg of Fat Tire, and a keg of Angry Orchard. Floated both the evening before it started and replace both twice.

Good times, and loved cooking with him. One of our favorites was smoked bleu cheesecake with crabmeat.

Hope all is well, thank you for looking.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    The d@ck who is flagging all your posts needs to catch up he is falling behind😉
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bookmarked. These look farkin' outstanding. I need to up my not-so-great rib game.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    The d@ck who is flagging all your posts needs to catch up he is falling behind😉
    Yeah, there are more than a few that dislike my posts, and me as a person.

At least they are upping my view count, and I provide them a hobby that keeps them out of trouble.

I have that to be thankful for. No sweat from me, glad I have given them a purpose in life.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    Bookmarked. These look farkin' outstanding. I need to up my not-so-great rib game.

Yeah, like you ever have to “UP” your cooking game. Right.

You are among the elite cooks on this forum. I quit trying to keep up with you a long time ago.

Thank you for the kind words my friend, hoping you, the queen and the prince are doing well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky