Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char siu

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
I’ve had a hankering for char siu bao recently, because of some recent posts in the forum (I’m looking at you @Canugghead!). Which meant I first needed to get some char siu :)

Sliced a few 2” portions off of a pork butt. Marinated overnight. Egged raised, direct at 425F. Basted with marinade every 20 mins, until IT hit 165F. Basted with a honey + water mix  for the last flip. 

Fried rice done inside, on the big clock.

The natives were getting restless, so hastily plated with wilted spinach by caliqueen. 

Was farkin’ delicious!! And now I have some leftover char siu...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Good grief👏
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited May 2021
    Bombdiggity
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    That looks fabulous. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Damn, that looks sooooo good!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Pretty good, I guess, for a butt Dr.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. 

• that looks and sounds awesome! I love Char Siu. Is that chili crisp I see?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    that looks and sounds awesome! I love Char Siu. Is that chili crisp I see?
    Yep. Its Momofuku Chili Crunch. Good flavor. Crunchier than the Lao Gan Ma and Joshua Weissman recipe you posted a while back. Its good stuff. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Take a bow Sir!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Looks just great.  Nice!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Nice work my friend!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    That looks wonderful!
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking said:
    Yep. Its Momofuku Chili Crunch. Good flavor. Crunchier than the Lao Gan Ma and Joshua Weissman recipe you posted a while back. Its good stuff. 
    I sent sone if that to my oldest. He said it was tasty. I need to try it 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Do you have any details on the rice? It looks really good
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Very nice cook. Bet that was at least better than excellent.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    caliking said:
    I’ve wanted to give that a go for a while, that and their savory salt.  Eddie Huang and David Chang had it out last summer over that chili crunch, made for some good podcasts.
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    I sent sone if that to my oldest. He said it was tasty. I need to try it 
    It’s definitely got more crisp/crunch to it. 

I tried their seasoned salts, too... the Savory and Tingly (there’s some Sichuan pepper in it) were ok, but the Spicy goes on everything. I’m about to buy a bag of it. 

• caliking
    edited May 2021
    poster said:
    Do you have any details on the rice? It looks really good
     No recipe as such. Cooked 3 cups of jasmine rice (with a little salt and sesame oil ) in the morning, spread it out on a sheet pan to cool, and dry out a bit. 

When dinner time rolled around, beat 6 eggs with some Mirin and cornstarch, and scrambled them in butter. Heat up more butter in a wok, to sauté chopped red onion, ginger, and about 4 cups of frozen mixed veg. 

After the veg soften, turn the heat to low, add in the rice and scrambled eggs.  Maybe a squirt of light soy. Season with, salt, pepper, 5 spice , per your taste. Mix well, to break up the clumps of rice. Turn off the heat. Garnish with chopped green onions or cilantro. 

I like eggs, but you can sub whatever protein you like. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I keep coming back to this, straightforward and so good.  What’s in your marinade ?
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Bookmarked for later use.  Thanks for sharing.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    Legume said:
    I keep coming back to this, straightforward and so good.  What’s in your marinade ?
    I found this recipe: https://madewithlau.com/recipes/char-siu-chinese-bbq-pork

Used fresh ginger instead of garlic. Didn't have fermented bean curd on hand, so added red miso instead. Also added extra shaoxing wine, and a TBSP of sesame oil. I skipped the red food color, since I figured it didn't any flavor. 

Once the meat was on the egg, I boiled the marinade, and basted the pork with it every 15 mins or so.

What you don't see in the pic, is the smaller 3rd chunk of pork that was done before the other 2 pieces. And ended up as chef's treat =)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    visually i need the red dye number 5 =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    visually i need the red dye number 5 =)
    I hear ya. Almost added the red food color, just to make the pork pop a little more in the pics. But then decided not to give in to vanity :)

• caliking
    U_tarded said:
    caliking said:
    I’ve wanted to give that a go for a while, that and their savory salt.  Eddie Huang and David Chang had it out last summer over that chili crunch, made for some good podcasts.
    On The Dave Chang Show? Should be fun to listen to on the drive to work. 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    caliking said:
    U_tarded said:
    caliking said:
    On The Dave Chang Show? Should be fun to listen to on the drive to work. 
    You got it, link is below.  I love that show when he does things like my opinion is fact.  

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    YUM!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Blasphemy! you might as well forget the char siu marinade and soak it in chili oil overnight! 
    Joking of course. It looks amazing and I'm sure the taste is even better, last picture belongs in a food magazine.
    canuckland
  • Wow. That looks great. I love that you are doing so many varied cooks recently, @caliking. And seemingly executing them all with great precision. 
  • caliking
    Blasphemy! you might as well forget the char siu marinade and soak it in chili oil overnight! 
    Joking of course. It looks amazing and I'm sure the taste is even better, last picture belongs in a food magazine.
    Now that you mention it, I might try that =)

• caliking
    Wow. That looks great. I love that you are doing so many varied cooks recently, @caliking. And seemingly executing them all with great precision. 
    Thanks. I like to cook new/different things. A lot of it tends to be Asian though, because we dig the flavors.