Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

4 hour danger zone

Need some advice please.  I used a Thermoworks Smoke, but the meat probe didn’t work - it was reading -17*.  I put 2 8ish lbs butts on @ around 9 last night.  They were in the fridge all day until around 8 when I started to prep them and the grill.

I was having some temp swings (i need a new gasket), and the alarm went off on me a couple of times.  Finally had my grill temp settled in at around 225 and went to be around 12 - 12;30.  4:00 rolls around, and the Smoke alarm goes off at 190.

go outside and open things up and check my internals on the butts, and they are reading around 150.  I did not look at my dome temp till sometime after the 4 o’clock alarm, and now I notice a temp diff between the dome therm and the smoke - by over 40* - the dome being LOWER.

anyway, what’s others thoughts about the safety of the 4 to 140 rule with pork?

Comments

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 7,997
    edited May 23
    It’s fine, cook to completion , not a worry especially whole muscle 

You can sous vide for days at that temp
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon Fat Stacks 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • CornfedMACornfedMA Posts: 435
    What he said. 
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 20,458
    Anyone else hearing Kenny Loggins inside their heads right now?
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Ruining the forum, one post at a time.  

Living large in the 919
    Lol, thanks John , now I’ll have it in my head all day
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon Fat Stacks 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 20,458
    lkapigian said:

"A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Ruining the forum, one post at a time.  

Living large in the 919
  • DondgcDondgc Posts: 684
    You didn’t ask - but calibrate one thermometer and go with it. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy trying to reconcile the two thermometers. 
    New Orleans LA
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 11,629
    Dondgc said:
    You didn’t ask - but calibrate one thermometer and go with it. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy trying to reconcile the two thermometers. 
    It’s like driving from the GPS on the car and your wife sitting shotgun with Apple Maps open on her phone.  No survivors.
    I do not have any broken or spare parts for any size egg.
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 7,944
    lkapigian said:

I had a different Loggins song pop into mind...

I'm alright
    Nobody worry 'bout me
    Tho the temps dropped real low
    the meat is still safe to eat

dip dip dip dip dip
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Dik

Camped out in the (757/948/804)

• Thought this thread was going to be about a case of priapism.

Glad everyone is okay! 👌🏻
    Thought this thread was going to be about a case of priapism.

Glad everyone is okay! 👌🏻
    Yes, I googled it
    Visalia, Ca