Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 hour danger zone

Need some advice please.  I used a Thermoworks Smoke, but the meat probe didn’t work - it was reading -17*.  I put 2 8ish lbs butts on @ around 9 last night.  They were in the fridge all day until around 8 when I started to prep them and the grill.

I was having some temp swings (i need a new gasket), and the alarm went off on me a couple of times.  Finally had my grill temp settled in at around 225 and went to be around 12 - 12;30.  4:00 rolls around, and the Smoke alarm goes off at 190.

go outside and open things up and check my internals on the butts, and they are reading around 150.  I did not look at my dome temp till sometime after the 4 o’clock alarm, and now I notice a temp diff between the dome therm and the smoke - by over 40* - the dome being LOWER.

anyway, what’s others thoughts about the safety of the 4 to 140 rule with pork?

Comments