Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another episode of YEP THAT WENT DIFFERENT

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
edited May 2021 in EggHead Forum
Mother's day cook shinnagins sorry it's long

So last night I decided to get a jump on cooking.  Ohio prediction of rain all day.

So I season, smoke and cook my ribs with intention of just having to sauce and heat on mothersday, the next day.

Thoughts of trying someone's recipe from this site for stuffed salmon.  

Go a step further.  Sashimi grade salmon, mascapone and cream cheese blend, green onions, parsley, jalapeno, fresh spinage,and king crab leg meat.  Roll it and cut into pinwheels.  Bacon wrapped asparagus.  Blackened steelhead trout and stuffed steelhead trout on cedar.  Used lemons, limes, and orange slices for base or toping during cook.  

Keep reading after photos. 

During the prep.  Rain, rain, and more rain.  Prepped everything.  Put toothpics in bacon wrapped asparagus and put on a foil lined tray. 

Light the grill and add butter to the planks and put fish on the grill.  Decide to just use oven to help with time.

*** the drastic downward departure***

I put the oven on convection, never used that before.  Hmm.  Put foil wrapped white sweet potatoes in oven on sheet tray.  Grab tray of asparagus and put in oven.  Grill outside has excessive flames.  Go check, all the soaked cedar is engulfed in flames.  Run inside to get foil to put under it.  Smell funny smell in kitchen

Must be that convection.  Ain't got time to decode it, switch stove to regular bake.  Go put out fire on grill foil under cedar.  Fires tamed.  Lemons, limes, and orange slices under pinwheels starting to char.  Dang it. Go inside to get spatula to lift out.

Back in the kitchen smell is worse.  Smoke in oven now in kitchen.  Wth now.  

Open oven asparagus looks OK but pan seems funny.  Then I realize it

THE FOIL LINED TRAY OF ASPARAGUS IS PLASTIC NOT METAL. 

Pull everything out.  Looks like acid as plastic melts downward and puddled every dayum where.  

Transfer everything back to the grill which is on fire again.  Butter ran off fish over foils edge and flamed torched upward.  

Turn off stove till dry.  Fumigation begins.  Dry plastic mostly scraped off.  Torch currently being used to melt and wipe up plastic.  What a mess.  Had to pull out all them darn charred toothpics.   

Salvaged all the food but dayum what a day trying to be fancy.  Have to use a Torch to get puddles out of stove.

Happy mothersday survival to all of you I need a nap.
Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    jdMyers said:

Back in the kitchen smell is worse.  Smoke in oven now in kitchen.  Wth now.  

Open oven asparagus looks OK but pan seems funny.  Then I realize it

THE FOIL LINED TRAY OF ASPARAGUS IS PLASTIC NOT METAL. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Bad luck but good recovery. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    heck of a day for sure, food still looks yummy 
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    LoL, great story ...love the honesty of what really happens at times 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    @jdMyers, I haven't laughed this hard in years, and next years' MD, you may, too.  Or at least grin.  
    I think this beats my Thanksgiving TSNBN.  Congrats!   =)  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• jdMyers
    Options
    I couldn't even get mad.  Had to try hard as heck to make it look normal.  Laughed
    Columbus, Ohio
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    @jdMyers food looks great!  Way to save the day and yeah, down the road this'll be a nice memory.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Putting aside the whole stove fiasco, I am intrigued by the salmon pinwheels.  Did that come from a recipe, or was that your own creation?  Regardless, how did they turn out?
  • jdMyers
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Putting aside the whole stove fiasco, I am intrigued by the salmon pinwheels.  Did that come from a recipe, or was that your own creation?  Regardless, how did they turn out?
    Thanks.   I saw pinwheels I think on here, but added my own thoughts.  Cut up green section of green onion.  Shallots, fresh parsley chopped fine, fresh spinage no stems chopped fine, jalapeno chopped fine no seeds, I wanted to use capers but didn't have any, 50/50 mascapone, Philly cream cheese and cut up lobster or crab meat.  Mix all in bowl add crab or lobster in bowl or on top.  Season fish.  Spread mix across fish.  Roll up.  Start at fatter end of fish ending up at tail.  Cut into thick slices.  Use shish kabab sticks to hold together.  I cooked them on slices of orange, limes and lemon to keep the cheese from melting all out.  Cook to 145.  Add butter square and drizzle a honey glaze over when near done.  Some use thyme.  Some use breadcrumbs.  

Columbus, Ohio
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @jdMyers - thanks.  And?  How were they?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Holy shite, man. I’ll admit to having some frantic cooks, but I don’t think I’ve ever been at that level. 

Sounds like the recovery was successful. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Take a bow, @jdMyers, for keeping it together and delivering some great looking grub.
    Stillwater, MN
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Glad all wasn't ruined. 
  • jdMyers
    Options
    The ribs came out perfect.  The fish DEFINITELY had cedar flavor.  I'm liking the citris blend flavor.  It's pretty good.  I think next time I'm going to try a zest blend in the seasoning just to see.  I think colder cheese spread would have been a tighter wrap.  Overall good taste for sure. 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    There's no way in GGE I could have managed that many things for one meal without all the smoke and flames and molten plastics. I'm not that good.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• jdMyers
    Options
    The worst is removing all the 1/3rd size toothpicks..  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to my world. That is my superpower, the ability to create chaos, having nothing but the best plans and intentions.

Excellent recovery and the food looked delicious, as always. Great post, I just sat here nodding my head while reading this, thinking to myself, yeah, I understand, I totally, understand.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Wow! Way to power thru all the chaos and deliver the goods.  Food looks great but what a way to get there.  More power to ya.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    So on a follow-up.  Used a small Torch to heat and razor blade scrape all the plastic out before oven self cleaning.   That will never happen again.   Smh.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • kennethk
    kennethk Posts: 31
    Options
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    The salmon pinwheels looked gorgeous!   

Congrats on the save.