Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

A substitute ...I did NOT know THAT!

RRPRRP Posts: 23,739
edited April 5 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I was just reading the May-June issue of Cook’s Illustrated and near the end was a 2 page article on baking ingredient substitutes. The very last one surprised me! If you are out of vanilla extract...just heat bourbon until reduced by half!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 5,683
    🤔
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RRPRRP Posts: 23,739
    Guess it is better use of some old cheap bourbon you had rather than pouring it out! 
  • RRPRRP Posts: 23,739
    your will find unused vanilla extract in my cabinet before you find unused bourbon.
    LOL...actually I still have nearly a pint...yes I said A PINT of Watkins brand vanilla extract that I bought on sale 20 years ago and it still is terrific! Using less than 1 “whole whopping tablespoon” per year might mean I will never have to test that bourbon substitution suggestion!  =)
  • GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 4,136
    Try real Mexican vanilla extract sometime. Much better than the run of the mill grocery store types.
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 19,804
    @lousubcap - you think Blanton’s will work ok for this?
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

The other ahole

Living large in the 919
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 19,804
    This might be one of the first times I’ve seen you flagged where it makes sense. 
    I actually flagged myself on that one.
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

The other ahole

Living large in the 919
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 6,383
    This might be one of the first times I’ve seen you flagged where it makes sense. 
    I actually flagged myself on that one.
    Self flaggelation is merited for that comment. Is that the same as flagging one's self?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 36,263
    Kitty Dukakis:  "No, it's the other way around..."