Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepper Stout Beef Sammiches - The FaceDance Way

Options
Super easy... crazy delicious... but takes 7-8 hours.  Pics outta order.

South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    one of my favs! Nice job 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Well that looks terrific.  Also a favorite of ours! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I really need to try this recipe myself.  Looks great.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Such a good cook - we are only two in our house, so we always look forward to the leftover creativity.  Actually not crazy creative, but we have used these leftovers in tacos, enchiladas, and chili.  My favorite was when I put them in omelettes - just awesome.  Great cook !!  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    What type of meat is generally used for these?  Also, do you just use one Guinness, or do you have to keep adding as it evaporates?  I’d imagine this is a low and slow cook?
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Jcl5150 said:
    What type of meat is generally used for these?  Also, do you just use one Guinness, or do you have to keep adding as it evaporates?  I’d imagine this is a low and slow cook?
    http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html?m=1

I think this is the original recipe everyone's cook is based on.  Give it a go! 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Nice! I know what I’m cooking next weekend now. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Diesel_Hokie
    Diesel_Hokie Posts: 22
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Same guy’s recipe as @kl8ton linked above but it’s the video version...   I find the illustration of checking chuck roast for done-ness at 2:45 especially helpful (for any chuckie recipe, actually)
    https://youtu.be/jrWZ74mOTTA
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Jcl5150 said:
    http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html?m=1

I think this is the original recipe everyone's cook is based on.  Give it a go! 
    Thanks!!!
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    I’ve never seen anything like this before!

Did you just follow the recipe or do something to make it the facedance way?  That’s your internet name, right?  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    That's a great cook.  Someone asked about the quantity of liquid.  In my experience, 12 oz is just the right amount because the meat drippings add to it as some of it evaporates off, but it ends up just right.

With that said, I've occasionally spiced it up a little bit, replacing some of the beer with other liquids.  Our favorite so far is 4 oz stout beer, 4 oz chimichurri, 4 oz BBQ sauce.  We were pleasantly surprised at how well the flavors came through with only 4 oz of a sauce spread across 4 pounds (precook) of meat.

One of my colleagues used sriracha instead of BBQ sauce and said it was great.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    Options

Did you just follow the recipe or do something to make it the facedance way?  That’s your internet name, right?  
    I roughly follow the Wolfe Pit recipe noted above.  As noted, it's pretty easy and feel free to tweak... jalapeños, different type of beer, BBQ sauce, hot sauce... it all just melts together and creates amazing flavor.  As for "The FaceDance Way," that's my business.
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    Oh, I’m sorry @FaceDance.  I wasn’t trying to offend you, I just asked since I’ve seen you post that a few times and I didn’t understand it. It sure seems like there are a lot of inside jokes on this forum.
  • BenfordSlaw
    Options
    FaceDance said:

As for "The FaceDance Way," that's my business.
    Interesting.  What are you charging for a face dance?
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    FaceDance said:

As for "The FaceDance Way," that's my business.
    Interesting.  What are you charging for a face dance?

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited March 2021
    Options
    You’ve never done PSB? Dude, you’re missing out.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Yeah I’m not sure why, it’s right up my alley.  I guess I just needed to see it done... the FaceDance way.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Yeah I’m not sure why, it’s right up my alley.  I guess I just needed to see it done... the FaceDance way.
    Don't eat all of it the day you make it.  Flavors intensify after a night in the fridge.  It's soooooo good.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    Gonna Egg this tomorrow.  Looking forward to it!
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Options
    Looks great. PSB is my favorite cook probably. Great for a crowd, or if not you get a lot of leftovers that are very versatile. 

Have it as sandwiches, on mashed potatoes, with eggs, in quesadillas, on pizza, nachos topping - all have worked well for me. Plus it heats up great if you vac seal small portions. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited March 2021
    Options
    the facedance way?  
    I had no idea what “facedance” meant so I googled it. From what I gather it’s literally face dancing. I had never heard of it. 

Of course there is also something else we call face dancing. But it probably would not be appropriate to mention it here.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    The last proper face dance I had I ended up with three cold sores and a penicillin prescription. 
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    Made this yesterday and man, did it turn out great!  Thanks again for the recipe!

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Pro tip: don't rush this one. I've made really good ones before but somehow i had it in my had this was a fast(ish) cook and tried to do it in 5 hours. The meat was incredible chewy and kinda gross actually. Use Larry's (Wolfe Pitt guy's name I think) turn a fork in the meat like spaghetti test and you will get it right.

I agree with @kl8ton, tastes better after it has rested. Easy to heat up. Works great over rice.

Dang, now I gotta make this this weekend.
    Mountain View, CA
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Update: I made it. I used the method from the other thread "over the top." Hard to say if it made a difference. It was fork tender the first time I checked it. That was the first time that has happened for me.

I only put 3 jalapeños in and yet it was spicy AF. Lots chilling in the fridge for lunches this week.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I hear the best place to get a face-dance is Belarus.
    Options
    Is that FaceDance, the Belarus way, or Belarus, the FaceDance way?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:
    Is that FaceDance, the Belarus way, or Belarus, the FaceDance way?

Works both ways I would think.  The "dance" part is really a euphemism for "stomp", in case anyone here doesn't understand Belarus.
    FaceDance said:

I roughly follow the Wolfe Pit recipe noted above.  As noted, it's pretty easy and feel free to tweak... jalapeños, different type of beer, BBQ sauce, hot sauce... it all just melts together and creates amazing flavor.  As for "The FaceDance Way," that's my business.

Oh, I’m sorry @FaceDance.  I wasn’t trying to offend you, I just asked since I’ve seen you post that a few times and I didn’t understand it. It sure seems like there are a lot of inside jokes on this forum.

One of my favourite exchanges on this forum. Thank you for bumping this, @legume. Gave me a good laugh, and I couldn’t find it when I last looked.