Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$100 gift card at local butcher....what are you buying??

Options
Like the title says.  $100 gift card to spend at your local butcher.  What are you buying with it?  Could be for just you, you +1 or more.  What are you buying and what are you making with it?

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,427
    Options
    Depends on how good the meat selection is. Run of the mill shop, whole ribeye. I’ll cut it and trim it myself 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I have that exact problem. I was gifted a $100 gift card to the local chain butcher 8 years or so ago. I walked in and aquired about their briskets. I was shown their 2lb frozen solid brisket in the freezer. Let's just say I have a $100 butcher gift card yet that's not burning a hole in my pocket....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Marrow Bones ......
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Depends on how good the meat selection is. Run of the mill shop, whole ribeye. I’ll cut it and trim it myself 
    or whole strip or, or a whole sirloin or, or ......

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    See if you can sell it for $80 cash. Then spend it on whatever the heck you want to. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Actually the shop is great quality and will order things they don't have.  It's my go to.  Get all my steaks and some seafood there.  Trying to figure out what to get.

I should add it's a mom and pop type shop but great quality and service.  I will spend it there but trying to think outside of my normal prime steak cuts.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Actually the shop is great quality and will order things they don't have.  It's my go to.  Get all my steaks and some seafood there.  Trying to figure out what to get.

I should add it's a mom and pop type shop but great quality and service.  I will spend it there but trying to think outside of my normal prime steak cuts.
    I believe you're from Minnesota if I'm not mistaking? Tri-tip might be worth looking into. I've had some luck with certain Cub Foods with tri-tip but still kind of a unicorn for most places around here. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Pork chops. Center cut rib chops to be exact. Can’t go wrong my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    2 TriTips
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    20lbs of bacon

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    Beef short ribs for me!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Depending on the shop you might get lucky and score a pork rectum. If the stars really line up in your favor you might get really lucky and score a beef rectum. I would definitely inquire. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Sadly, since Snyder's Meats/Ogden closed, I have no local butcher shop, save a Hispanic market in west Ogden that only sells $100+ mixed Box sets, and my freezer wouldn't accommodate that that much bulk.  
    So, I guess, a donation to the Utard Food Bank.   

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• PeteSliver
    Options
    SGH said:
    Depending on the shop you might get lucky and score a pork rectum. If the stars really line up in your favor you might get really lucky and score a beef rectum. I would definitely inquire. 
    You really need plenty of oil if you’re working with rectum.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    First, I had to google my local butcher, as I've not seen one per se, here in the 'burbs.  But I like this question - so I think I would look for some things I've not ever cooked/eaten before and and use the money to give that a go.  Things like goat, lamb, pheasant, different sausages/wursts/chorizos, beef tongue, stuff like that...

Otherwise, I'd load up on beef plate ribs & briskets!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    If it is a real good butcher, I would tell him you have a Hundo and you want something special.  Let him/her hook you up.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    tomahawk ribeye
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Depends which local butcher.  The one to the south, connected to the abattoir, it'd be 5-6 lbs of their bacon to repack in smaller quantities myself, a packer, and some local jumbo lump crab.  

The one to the north would be bone-in pork chops, prosciutto, merguez, and beef shanks.   They also have Rockwood and March Hen (formerly Geechie Boy) grits, so maybe either of those if I need some.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD