Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best walkthrough of pizza on the Egg?

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Assuming that your indoor room temperature is 20C

For:
    3 x 280g dough balls
    or
    4 x 210g dough balls

500g flour
    325g water (room temp)
    0.43g Instant Dry Yeast (14 hours room temperature fermentation)
    15g salt

1. Mix flour and water in the kitchen aid until just combined and wait 30 minutes (cover the bowl).  You can wet your hand with cold water and run it along the dough hook to clean it and remove the dough).  Dough doesn’t stick to wet hand.

2. Add yeast to the dough and mix in the kitchen aid for 5 minutes.

3. Add salt to the dough and continue mixing for 10 minutes.

4. Transfer the dough to an oiled container.  Again, dough doesn’t stick to wet hands.  A dough scraper is nice to have.  I try to make a big ball before transferring to the container.

5. Let the dough rise and double in size.  12 hours.

6. Split the dough in 3 or 4 and shape it into balls.  There is a technique for that, I’ll find you a video.  You are looking into making dough balls with tight skin so you don’t end up with a floppy mess.  At this point you have a couple of options.  If you plan to use the dough in the next 2-3 hours, you can leave the balls at room temperature covered with a damp towel or in oiled deli containers.  If you plan to use later, store covered in the fridge for up to a week taking them out 2-3 hours before using.  One more time, dough doesn’t stick to wet hands.

7. Shape into pies.  I’ll try to find you a video.  Start by dusting the balls with flour.  I often use rice flour (better tolerance to heat) or semola (nice texture).  There are a couple of different methods.  I carefully flatten a ball (but not too much) pushing from the center toward the edges trying to keep as much air as possible in the dough.  I then take the dough with both hands and stretch it with my fists and letting gravity do its work.  This is hard to explain but I’m sure you will figure it out with videos.  Lots of flour is your friend at this step but you don’t want to incorporate it the dough.  ***No*** wet hands at this step, they would stick to the flour.

For:
    24 hours fermentation, use 0.2g yeast
    14 hours, use 0.43g yeast
    12 hours, use 0.54g yeast
    8 hours, use 1g yeast
    3 hours, use 4g yeast

Water:
    -Distilled water is NOT recommended, you want some minerals.
    -Tap water is OK but ideally previously boiled and left at room temperature for several hours to get rid of the chlorine.
    -I like to use Eska water.

Salt:
    -Use a scale, 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt can be twice as much salt as 1 teaspoon of canning salt.
    -Avoid table salt and other salts with additives.
    -Salt kills yeast, avoid contact between the two.
    -Salt is ESSENTIAL to your dough structure, it helps create gluten networks.  If your dough doesn’t have structure or tears, it may be because you don’t have enough salt.  Stick to 3% of flour weight and don’t reduce it.  If you add the salt too early, your dough may be harder to mix properly.
    -Fine sea is good but Diamond Crystal (flakes) works really well too.  Avoid coarser canning salt or crush it.

Kitchen Aid:
    -Don’t reduce the recipe or it may be difficult to properly mix it.  You want the bottom of the dough mass to stick to the bottom of the bowl and the dough hook to stretch the dough.  If the dough forms a ball, it won’t knead properly.

Flour:
    -00 is a mill grind size.  Properties of 00 flours varies wildly from one brand to another.  Not all 00 flour are suitable for pizza.  Try to get your hands on Caputo red bag until you are comfortable with the dough and then try other flours.

Yeast:
    -Instant Dry Yeast (IDY) doesn’t need to be dissolved
    -Active Dry Yeast (ADY) needs to be dissolved and proofed.  Use 20% more ADY than IDY.
    -Fresh yeast NEEDS to be proofed and I had only bad experiences with it.

Based on the texture of the dough you posted, I’d say that there was either not enough salt in your dough or that it was not kneaded enough.

Let me know if your room temperature is not 20C and I’ll provide adjustments for the yeast.

This is how I cook pizza in our Egg:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2016/08/24/cooking-pizza-with-a-big-green-egg/

This is the dough I use, it's a long fermentation but patience is rewarded:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/06/29/new-and-improved-pizza-dough-recipe/

These are some of the results:

Fine looking pies there.  Yours makes mine look wholly circumcised.

How to shape dough balls:

https://youtu.be/v5t5MEZt6LM

How to stretch your dough into pies:

https://youtu.be/9f9-xTcKzZo

(Shoulder roll is how I do it 😂)

Can't wait to see it! Video or it didn't happen.
    Stillwater, MN
  • I get rave reviews with this.  I let rise in fridge for a day or two. 

• I get rave reviews with this.  I let rise in fridge for a day or two. 

Thanks. I’ve tried that one in the past and it didn’t turn out great. I chalk that up to the chef and not to the recipe. Perhaps I’ll try again. 
  • paqman
    Baked indoor 8 minutes @ 550F

It is pretty much the same recipe as described in my other post above except that I added a secret ingredient, that’s why the dough has a yellow hue.

My new way of storing balled dough, I am so mad I did not think of this before, credits to my smart nephew 😳:

I've used Roberta's dough recipe many times, nice, forgiving recipe.  Mostly I stick with 100% "00" grind pizza flour, though.
    Just by using very little yeast (couple grams at most) and a long ferment you can make just about any flour result in a decent sub-600F pizza.
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    - Ken Forkish 48-72 hour biga dough recipe.  (or really an of his recipes and use the ingredients he specifies.  00 flour, etc.)
    - pizza STEEL, not stone, indirect and raised at 550 degrees.  Let steel heat for at least 45 min to saturate with heat.
    - Use parchment paper under pizza and launch on to steel.
    - Remove paper after 2 minutes
    - Let pizza cook to desired level of doneness.  

Of course I don't have recent pictures but I have been getting paper thin crust and regular crust with leopard spots underneath and a nice gas bubble structure up above.    
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • paqman
    @paqman: Now you’re just showing off. You do lose points for the oven, however. 😋 I’ll bite... what’s the yellow? 
    If I told you it wouldn’t be a secret anymore 🤣😂

I am trying to replicate Louis Pizza (Ottawa on McArthur) and I think that I figured it out.  I just need a few tweaks.  Years of trial and error and the answer was waiting in my pantry all this time.

I am trying to replicate Louis Pizza (Ottawa on McArthur) and I think that I figured it out.  I just need a few tweaks.  Years of trial and error and the answer was waiting in my pantry all this time.
    Never had Louis. Have you ever had Super Duper, in Alta Vista? If not, I need to pull up and send pics. Beyond belief. 

Give us a hint. Is the yellow for flavour, texture, or both? Is it tofu? 😂
  • paqman
    paqman said:
    @paqman: Now you’re just showing off. You do lose points for the oven, however. 😋 I’ll bite... what’s the yellow? 

Never had Louis. Have you ever had Super Duper, in Alta Vista? If not, I need to pull up and send pics. Beyond belief. 

Give us a hint. Is the yellow for flavour, texture, or both? Is it tofu? 😂
    Yellow is for flavour.  Louis’ is a bit more yellow but I think that I pretty much got the flavour right.  I’ll add turmeric to my next batch to get the right colour.  Next I need to get the texture right, theirs is definitely lighter.  I’ll try a different flour mix and more water (and maybe substitute with some milk).  My concern with milk is that I am doing a long room temperature fermentation so maybe I’ll switch to cold fermentation for this one.  They sell kits that you can bake at home and their dough has no structure at all and is super soft (raw) so I suspect it is a very long fermentation with high hydration.

That’s Louis that I baked at home:

curious about super duper, what makes it special?

It’s several inches thick. Their pizzas are expensive, but one is really like two or three. I’ll have to reach back, but I’ll search for a photo. 

Funny, I was going to guess the yellow was tumeric. 
  • paqman
    I’ll give super duper a shot, I am curious now.  You should definitely try Louis, it has a distinctive taste.

• @paqman: Not my photo, as I didn’t want to dig out and plug in my external heard drive, but here’s a shot that shows some Super Duper characteristics. The pieces are literally several inches thick. You can feel the absolute heft in holding the pizza box. Pretty sure the specimens I’ve sampled have been even thicker than this photo. 

• paqman
    Apparently I am not the only one trying to figure it out (but I’m pretty sure I did 😂)

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=55369.0

Saffron is very, very yellow, but also a tiny bit packs a ton of aroma and flavor so you would probably easily identify it. Turmeric yellow doesn't have much flavor vs color.  Corn flour, some wheat grains are yellowish. 
    Definitely not saffron.  No corn flour either.  Maybe other grains, but I don’t think it is semola.  One of the posts in the link that I posted mentions a local mill with a type of flour that may result a yellow hue.  There are a couple of pizzerias around here that have yellow dough, that may be part of the answer.

There was a guy here that kept bragging about his dough recipe but did not want to share it, I feel like him now 😂. Can’t remember his name

I don’t know... have you ever had another account here previously? 😉
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    paqman's troll account is Mikey!
    paqman's troll account is Mikey!
    paqman IS my troll account 😂

Added turmeric (6g) increased secret ingredient by 50% (18g) and increased hydration to 69%

That’s what I call yellow dough:

That’s what I call yellow dough:

I hear you haven’t loved until you’ve made it purple.
  • paqman
    that’s actually a big trend among bread bakers.  they use butterfly pea to color the dough:

If you want to use turmeric without the flavor (for color) you can let it oxidize by letting it sit out opened for a few weeks.  So I heard.