Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak - The harder I try to further away I get

Options
13»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    QDude said:
     I have also heard that bringing a steak to near room temp prior to putting it on helps.  I don't know why though.
    I think Meathead debunked this among others with blind tests.  But yeah, I've heard that too.

Options
    QDude said:
     I have also heard that bringing a steak to near room temp prior to putting it on helps.  I don't know why though.
    I think Meathead debunked this among others with blind tests.  But yeah, I've heard that too.

he only warmed it for about an hour, go closer to 4 hours and its way better. could be dangerous but way better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Kenji makes an argument that grilling straight from the fridge allows you to achieve a longer, more thorough sear on the surface before the interior overcooks. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2020
    Options
    So.  If i have the information correct. I want quality beef not store bought.  I want to heat the top of the coals not the bottom, i want the vent closed but the lid open.  I want the grate on top of the coals close as possible and cook on that, I need to let it sit out 3 to 4 hours at room temp, but go straight from the fridge to the coals.  I need to use a lot of salt and just cook the dayum thing, HOWEVER,  I want to talk about the butter, and use keg seasoning thats ran thru a coffee grinder.  I need to know the heats not producing the flavor the fat drippings are. I should understand broiling vs grilling doesnt produce flavor, and that dome temp is air heated but not the fire temp which is hotter.

Got it.  I think
    Columbus, Ohio
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    So.  If i have the information correct.  I want to heat the top of the coals not the bottom, i want the vent closed but the lid open.  I want the grate on top of the coals close as possible and cook on that, I need to let it sit out 3 to 4 hours at room temp, but go straight from the fridge to the coals.  I need to use a lot of salt and just cook the dayum thing, HOWEVER,  I want to talk about the butter, and use keg seasoning thats ran thru a coffee grinder.  I need to know the heats not producing the flavor the fat drippings are. I should understand broiling vs grilling doesnt produce flavor, and that dome temp is air heated but not the fire temp which is hotter.

Got it.  I think

Simple, ain't it? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You got it. Now go cook a damn steak. Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Lol
    Columbus, Ohio
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I only pull the steak out about an hour before it goes on the egg.  Costco has amazing quality steaks also.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SonVolt
    Options
    Oh, and don't forget to serve your steak on a 500F platter swimming in melted butter. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Oh, and don't forget to serve your steak on a 500F platter swimming in melted butter. 

Note: Not recommended for rare-medium rare 0.5" steaks.
    Options
    How about broiling in Roccbox, on preheated CI pan?
    canuckland
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    So.  If i have the information correct. I want quality beef not store bought.  I want to heat the top of the coals not the bottom, i want the vent closed but the lid open.  I want the grate on top of the coals close as possible and cook on that, I need to let it sit out 3 to 4 hours at room temp, but go straight from the fridge to the coals.  I need to use a lot of salt and just cook the dayum thing, HOWEVER,  I want to talk about the butter, and use keg seasoning thats ran thru a coffee grinder.  I need to know the heats not producing the flavor the fat drippings are. I should understand broiling vs grilling doesnt produce flavor, and that dome temp is air heated but not the fire temp which is hotter.

Got it.  I think
    You missed the best part... Have someone else do all that and it will be the best ever
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Dang it.  How did i overlook heated plates, and let the wife donit..   this has been the best
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    jdMyers said:

Got it.  I think
    You missed one important thing. Make sure everyone, including yourself, is DAMN hungry ... it will taste better, I promise.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Also let the steak come up to room temp before going on the egg.

Butter, like said before. I make a compound and wrap it in plastic wrap. Slice off a hunk and place it on top while you cook the second side.

If you use a CI pan add some garlic cloves and thyme and baste 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • SonVolt
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    Also let the steak come up to room temp before going on the egg.

Curious, why? Restaurants don't do this.  If that's what he's trying to replicate. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    My steaks went to a new level earlier this year (immediately pre-COVID) when  I learned that a friend of mine who competes uses Chupacabra Steak rub. 

On your recommendation I just ordered the big bottle. Suppose to deliver on the 21st. If chupacabra is one of the ingredients it has to be outstanding 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dawgtired
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    Thanks.  Ive tried sousvide and seared.  It has to be the quality of meat.  I have the ability to 1800 degree sear.  Flavor is just different.  Ive never done a demi glaze or anything like that.  Just thought it was me.
    Learned a long time ago to ask the butcher for 1 1/2” to 2” Ribeye from the chuck end. It will have a larger section of the spinalis, which is the most flavorful part. https://jesspryles.com/recipe/spinalis-dorsi-ribeye-cap/

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Options
    Also dry brine with salt!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• SGH
    Options
    @Foghorn
    Came just now. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    edited December 2020
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Foghorn
    Came just now. 

Excellent.

"On your recommendation I just ordered the big bottle. Suppose to deliver on the 21st. If chupacabra is one of the ingredients it has to be outstanding 👍"

I think it has chupacabra anus in it - just for you.

Seriously though, my friend came in 3rd place out of 300+ teams using this as his base.  He won't tell me the rest.  I put this on first as it is a fine grind.  Then I add a layer of something more course.  Like Montreal Steak - or John Henry Mojave Garlic Pepper.  Then I grind a little fresh pepper on it.  It's the best I can do.

@SGH

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I think it has chupacabra anus in it 
    I pray 🙏 that is true. One can only hope 🤞

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Chupacabra Reserve(tm) has chupacabra anus *and* fistula!

(I read about it somewhere)