Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Costco version of the Solo stove:

Saw it on clearance at a local GWN Costco for $289. Quick review search says ash dumping is a pain.

Features:

• 304 stainless steel “smokeless” wood burning fire pit
    • Patented technology reduces smoke by up to 70%
    • Set includes: fire pit, base, grill grate, 2-piece spark screen, multi-use handle and protective cover
    • Handle tool is compatible with both grill and spark screen attachments
    Would love one, but I’m a stickler for rules and I don’t have the space prescribed by local bylaw. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options

Saw it on clearance at a local GWN Costco for $289. Quick review search says ash dumping is a pain.

Features:

• Set includes: fire pit, base, grill grate, 2-piece spark screen, multi-use handle and protective cover
    Haven’t used it yet, but ash dumping doesn’t scare this Egger!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    A citrus based grill cleaner spray and some grill scrubbing pads. Gotta get some of the gunk off, scrubbing it with a brick only goes so far.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

Features:

Haven’t used it yet, but ash dumping doesn’t scare this Egger!
    If it’s like the solo, you just pick it up and dump it.  I usually dump in the garden somewhere.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Re: dumping ash out of the solostove, it’s design makes this somewhat cumbersome.  It’s round, without handles, etc. 

This mod makes it a bit easier. 

Three feet of chain. Open one loop of the links at each end. Makes it easier to carry, and tip to dump the ash. 

A few bucks at any hardware store. Amazon sells handles, but they’re more expensive. 

Or, you can suck up the ash with a shop vac. 

The new solostove has a removable bottom grid, which means more moving parts, so not sure that really makes ash dumping less tedious. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I am buying absolutely nothing right now (other than a sleeve of golf balls), my wife on the other hand … 🤦‍♂️
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    caliking said:
    Re: dumping ash out of the solostove, it’s design makes this somewhat cumbersome.  It’s round, without handles, etc. 

Three feet of chain. Open one loop of the links at each end. Makes it easier to carry, and tip to dump the ash. 

A few bucks at any hardware store. Amazon sells handles, but they’re more expensive. 

The new solostove has a removable bottom grid, which means more moving parts, so not sure that really makes ash dumping less tedious. 
    IIRC, the issue with Hotshot ash dumping is ash getting trapped in underside of rim lip.
    canuckland
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    More Briley chokes for bird season.   Have some, need more…
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,089
    edited August 2022
    Options

Features:

Would love one, but I’m a stickler for rules and I don’t have the space prescribed by local bylaw. 
    More info on this please.  Is this a federal, state, county, city, town, or HOA law? Or is it just the recommendation of the manufacturer?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    caliking said:

IIRC, the issue with Hotshot ash dumping is ash getting trapped in underside of rim lip.
    Sounds like a great opportunity for the Kick Ash Basket gurus.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Woot! has Wustof knives today.  Thought I would share them here.

https://home.woot.com/plus/wusthof-knives-4?ref=w_cnt_cdet_home_dly_wobtn
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @ozzie_isaac

Municipal bylaw. 
    Well then, no worries.  You need a complaint from a neighbor, then a bylaw officer would have to be so inclined to enter your property and measure ot for code enforcement.  If your community has the resources to enforce this, then you are living pretty large my friend.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @ozzie_isaac

Municipal bylaw. 
    Well then, no worries.  You need a complaint from a neighbor, then a bylaw officer would have to be so inclined to enter your property and measure ot for code enforcement.  If your community has the resources to enforce this, then you are living pretty large my friend.
    I am aware. For me though, it’s hard to enjoy something that I know neighbours could legitimately frown upon - though they’re pretty cool and flaunt the rules themselves. It’s like when my wife questions whether meat is still okay to eat or not. If you can’t be sure, it’ll destroy your enjoyment of the dinner regardless, so you might as well scrap it anyway. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @ozzie_isaac

Municipal bylaw. 
    I am aware. For me though, it’s hard to enjoy something that I know neighbours could legitimately frown upon - though they’re pretty cool and flaunt the rules themselves. It’s like when my wife questions whether meat is still okay to eat or not. If you can’t be sure, it’ll destroy your enjoyment of the dinner regardless, so you might as well scrap it anyway. 
    Your lady friend may find "the bad boy" appealing.  I would recommend giving it a shot.  Many women find bylaw flaunting men irresistible.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @ozzie_isaac

Municipal bylaw. 
    Your lady friend may find "the bad boy" appealing.  I would recommend giving it a shot.  Many women find bylaw flaunting men irresistible.
    Now that you mention it, she does find it oddly titillating when my monocle is askew. 
  • caliking
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Sister lives in Michigan, and has a stone firepit in the backyard (built by previous owner). She also has a cantankerous neighbor, who calls the city fire dept every time she lights it. Fire dept. has come out, been very nice, and apologized that my sis has such a crabby neighbor. 

The loophole= cooking fires are allowed, and not covered by the rule/law. So she puts a single hotdog on the spark arrestor thing. Fire dept has given her the thumbs up for this =)

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited August 2022
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sister lives in Michigan, and has a stone firepit in the backyard (built by previous owner). She also has a cantankerous neighbor, who calls the city fire dept every time she lights it. Fire dept. has come out, been very nice, and apologized that my sis has such a crabby neighbor. 

The loophole= cooking fires are allowed, and not covered by the rule/law. So she puts a single hotdog on the spark arrestor thing. Fire dept has given her the thumbs up for this =)
    If I had that kind of neighbor I would really have to fight the urge to have wet smoldering nasty wood burning all day everyday. . . with a hotdog nearby. Good grief. They probably can't have bass boats either!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    caliking said:

If I had that kind of neighbor I would really have to fight the urge to have wet smoldering nasty wood burning all day everyday. . . with a hotdog nearby. Good grief. They probably can't have bass boats either!
    Exactly.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    caliking said:

I'd put a BIG sign up right on that neighbor's fence, which states, "Cooking hotdogs on our fire is perfectly legal. Stop wasting the fire department's precious time and resources!"

Note, I edited this a few times to get rid of swear words.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    This is all @DuckDogDr's fault.  

I was going to wait until I got the fall farm rent check, but Rockler sent me a 20% Off coupon yesterday, so I bought the table/fence anyway.  I haven't decided on the router lift yet, it'll probably be either the heavy-duty Rockler or the Incra.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    caliking said:

I heard in some jurisdictions around here the fire crew can still nail you if the fire is disproportionally larger than amount of food.
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    caliking said:

I heard in some jurisdictions around here the fire crew can still nail you if the fire is disproportionally larger than amount of food.
    That is the fun thing I have ever heard 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 381
    Options
    I just went to SRF looking for a brisket. 12-14 lbs is right size for me and I just checked yesterday and out of stock. I signed up for out of stock alerts, but didn't get anything. Went just now and it shows 12-14 in stock. I add to cart and no joy. Chat with customer service and they said they are out again. But I never got the alert! Apparently they will look into why I did not get it. Sure.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    @EzraBrooks - There are occasional hic-cups with the SRF website and you just found one.  I have always had success with the email alert option so I can't comment.  However, if you have talked with them then I am confident they will get back with you.
    A stand up company that routinely sends replacement briskets and anything else ordered that clearly the 5 letter shipping company hosed up with delivery.  
    No affiliation here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @EzraBrooks - There are occasional hic-cups with the SRF website and you just found one.  I have always had success with the email alert option so I can't comment.  However, if you have talked with them then I am confident they will get back with you.
    A stand up company that routinely sends replacement briskets and anything else ordered that clearly the 5 letter shipping company hosed up with delivery.  
    No affiliation here.  
    That is tricky wording, sir.  No affiliation with FedEx or no affiliation with SRF?  Because we all know you have an affiliation with SRF as their #1, numero Uno customer.  Single handly helping out their monthly balance sheet.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Something super fun, new home owners and auto insurance. Home owners policy rate went up 45% from last year. I figured it would go up, it always does but 45%!?!?! ya, no thanks Liberty Bipperty Mutual. Now with A-Aron Rogers favorite company State Farm. They are giving me way better coverage for about a 10% increase over my last years rate and a lower deductible.

Progressive Auto policy rate was fine, but State Farm offered to beat the rate  I had slightly but I have a way lower deductible and increased perks.

I hate doing this every couple years.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

Not where she is. Fireperson pointed out the single, charred hotdog once, and said something like " I think its done." She shrugged and said she didn't know how to cook well (she does). 

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Something super fun, new home owners and auto insurance. Home owners policy rate went up 45% from last year. I figured it would go up, it always does but 45%!?!?! ya, no thanks Liberty Bipperty Mutual. Now with A-Aron Rogers favorite company State Farm. They are giving me way better coverage for about a 10% increase over my last years rate and a lower deductible.

Progressive Auto policy rate was fine, but State Farm offered to beat the rate  I had slightly but I have a way lower deductible and increased perks.

I hate doing this every couple years.
    I use a local insurance broker, they shop the cheapest rates throughout a network of providers. Also I can text my agent and ask her questions any time, she was very helpful in showing us where we were under insured. At anyrate i will always pound the drum of local banks/credit unions and local insurance companies. I don’t have to worry about Wells Fargo signing me up for a credit card or State Farm canceling Aaron for not getting the shot.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.