Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Playing with flour. 
    Pizza for tonight,
    Rye:first rise,
    Bagel/poolish. Sunday bake: 1doz everything, 1doz blueberry. 
    IL 
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Oops, meant to post on “what are you doing”.  :#
    IL 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,900
    Options
    @Botch - I long ago saw a program on NHK World hosted by an English transplant to Japan (Peter Barakan) named Begin Japanology. One of the programs was Shashimono Woodwork in Japan. There is a video of that program on Youtube that is about 28 minutes long. The audio drops out at 6:05 and returns at 7:43. You might find it interesting, especially the segment starting at 9:37 showing the Japanese block planes the craftsman uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UEEz111uIM

Enjoy the opening Shakuhachi music!  Another rabbit hole for you!

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    Botch said:

A Kakuri japanese block plane.  
    I've got a collection of Stanley, Record, Lie-Nielsen, and Bridge City planes, but have never played with a Japanese plane before.  The blade is adjusted by tapping on it with a small hammer, and like most Japanese tools, they cut on the pull stroke.  
    This isn't a fancy one, we'll see how flat the blade is and how well aligned.  Flattening the bottom of a wood body will be cake compared to iron or brass. For $22 I thought I'd get one to play with.  It was made in Japan, not China.  

I'm guessing you have already seen a Japanese planing competition. If not you should check one out.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,565
    Options
    Loonie Friday at the Amz outlet. Two of several junks I picked up...

canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,502
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    @Botch - I long ago saw a program on NHK World hosted by an English transplant to Japan (Peter Barakan) named Begin Japanology. One of the programs was Shashimono Woodwork in Japan. There is a video of that program on Youtube that is about 28 minutes long. The audio drops out at 6:05 and returns at 7:43. You might find it interesting, especially the segment starting at 9:37 showing the Japanese block planes the craftsman uses.

Thank you, Sam!  That was very interesting, especially the mulberry segment. I have/read several books on Japanese woodworking/tools, but this video filled in a few gaps that I didn't even know were there.  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,431
    Options

Grocery stop 2 of 3. Never made it to 3. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,028
    Options
    kl8ton said:

One of my daughters wanted to hang with our boys.  This is our 5th or 6th Traxxas car in the house.  Saved her own money for it.  Of course grocery cart pic posts correctly and possibly my favorite child of 8 posts sideways. 
    I did not need to turn my phone to see that she is super cute man.  Love that she saved up for that.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,028
    Options
    New coffee machine for the home.  Not too fancy but I’m trusting it gets the job done.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,449
    Options
    New coffee machine for the home.  Not too fancy but I’m trusting it gets the job done.

Have a Ninja coffee maker. Ours has a few more features, but great buy. Zero complaints 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,459
    Options
    @kl8ton - I'm guessing you ran out of disposable $$ before you could get to store number 3.   B)
    Great pic of your daughter right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,431
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @kl8ton - I'm guessing you ran out of disposable $$ before you could get to store number 3.   B)
    Great pic of your daughter right there.  
    Ran out of time.  We hadn't been shopping for almost a month.  Camping at the beach for two weeks. I would commute.  Just kept bringing out the food from the house.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,565
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:

Love the episode on charcoal

canuckland
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,900
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @Canugghead - The Binchotan episode? I liked most of the early episodes.  Now looking forward to the Japanology Plus episode July 20: Okinawa: The Reconstruction of Shuri Castle.

@Botch -  You are most welcome. My interest in Japan stems from my BIL who served there at the end of WW2; nephew was born there. Have several mementos from his deployment there. Also a very ornate lacquer music box that still works.

Edit - Yes, I am a bit of a pack rat!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,173
    Options
    Botch said:
    SamIAm2 said:

Thank you, Sam!  That was very interesting, especially the mulberry segment. I have/read several books on Japanese woodworking/tools, but this video filled in a few gaps that I didn't even know were there.  
    TIL there are several books written about Japanese woodworking tools.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Infared Thermometer . . . can't find the one I had after "the move" :#

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,502
    Options
    The only things I purchased this last "Amazoid Prime" day were two pair of Levis.  I'm trying to avoid amazoid but at less than half the price of what I have to pay for "Talls" locally, had to go that route.
    The shipment arrived yesterday, a medium box, and one pair of jeans, in a single-layer clear plastic bag, with shipping labels attached.  Anyone along the shipping route could see it was a pair of new jeans, and could even read the rear patch to see what size they were (fortunately I'm kinda freak-sized).  

Opened the box, and the other pair of jeans were in there!  WTFF?  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    ColbyLang said:

Have a Ninja coffee maker. Ours has a few more features, but great buy. Zero complaints 
    Mine has been great 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    Ice cream spoon

Options
    @paqman - I am well acquainted with ice cream scoops and oversized spoons to extract the contents from a container but a professional grade spoon??
    Appreciate the enticement but I will not be going down this rabbit hole. 
    There is always a hook lurking somewhere on this forum.  FWIW-
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    Options
    @lousubcap I rarely eat ice cream but SWMBO does on a regular basis.  After ruining an aluminum one by washing it in the dishwasher and getting frustrated with the standard issue mechanical one, she started using regular kitchen spoons (that have a tendency to bend with hard ice cream).  I looked up options and this one came on top but was definitely more $ than I wanted to spend.  It ended up being highly discounted and about the same price as other options on Prime Day so I pulled the trigger!

Options
    paqman said:
    @lousubcap I rarely eat ice cream but SWMBO does on a regular basis.  After ruining an aluminum one by washing it in the dishwasher and getting frustrated with the standard issue mechanical one, she started using regular kitchen spoons (that have a tendency to bend with hard ice cream).  I looked up options and this one came on top but was definitely more $ than I wanted to spend.  It ended up being highly discounted and about the same price as other options on Prime Day so I pulled the trigger!
    One of the items I insisted on having on our wedding registry back in the day is a Teflon-coated ice cream scooper.  18 years later, we still have that thing, and it is by far one of the best utensils we own.   
  • paqman
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina Teflon would not last 5 minutes here!  I have to hide my non-stick pan in a pillowcase in a dark corner of the pantry 🤣😂. I can only imagine what would happen to teflon in the utensils drawer.  

Speaking of utensils drawer, I am looking at it now and half the stuff in there doesn’t get used.  Time for cleanup!

@paqman

If there were an exotic ice cream spoon thread, you would have won handsomely. 

Hope you’ve made her ice cream before. If not, it’s high time!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    paqman said:
    @JohnInCarolina Teflon would not last 5 minutes here!  I have to hide my non-stick pan in a pillowcase in a dark corner of the pantry 🤣😂. I can only imagine what would happen to teflon in the utensils drawer.  

Speaking of utensils drawer, I am looking at it now and half the stuff in there doesn’t get used.  Time for cleanup!

You do realize that whatever rarely used tool you throw out will be just what you'll need next month. It's like a law of the multiiverse.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    paqman said:

You do realize that whatever rarely used tool you throw out will be just what you'll need next month. It's like a law of the multiiverse.
    It’s a battle (life is really hard), some single purpose kitchen tools are worth keeping around, others aren’t much of an improvement.  We do try to cull those from the drawer when they start to get in the way.

Strawberry/tomato corer is one of my favorite cheap tools, works for lots of things, sadly too small for ice cream.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,589
    Options
    I think this is headed towards a shoe lace thread
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    I think this is headed towards a shoe lace thread
    I’ve only tried twice to steer a thread that way, maybe thrice is the magic number.