Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,816
    Options
    lower passenger side door seal retainer. truck was locked up frozen shut this morning. if only they used non freeze rutland gaskets.  this is the only vehicle that needs the door gaskets lubed annually that ive ever owned
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,175
    Options
    lower passenger side door seal retainer. truck was locked up frozen shut this morning. if only they used non freeze rutland gaskets.  this is the only vehicle that needs the door gaskets lubed annually that ive ever owned
    Is it the Range Rover?  If so, it completely makes sense.  I assume they use horse hair or some other such fancy material for the door seals.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Is it the Range Rover?  If so, it completely makes sense.  I assume they use horse hair or some other such fancy material for the door seals.

its double and triple sealed, pretty much leak free up to about the top of the tiresor higher under water. but if the seal gets a little wet in winter you can consider the door to be a wall. i should have wiped the silicone lube on those earlier. the cheesy retainer clip is 55 bucks but i guess its cheaper than towing it to a warmer place to thaw out
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

its double and triple sealed, pretty much leak free up to about the top of the tiresor higher under water. but if the seal gets a little wet in winter you can consider the door to be a wall. i should have wiped the silicone lube on those earlier. the cheesy retainer clip is 55 bucks but i guess its cheaper than towing it to a warmer place to thaw out
    The average winter temp is above freezing in England and below freezing in New England.  They don't care about the whiners in the cold climates. ;)

Options

The average winter temp is above freezing in England and below freezing in New England.  They don't care about the whiners in the cold climates. ;)

you would think remote start would be a standard item in one of these. better the clip broke and not the plastic door handle. good you can reach the brake peddle with a hockey stick and push the starter button from the rear seat to start it though
    fukahwee maine

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Yeah, that's all good, but you gotta admit, it is pretty freaking cool to say "Alexa, it's cold in here" and have the heat go up two degrees.
    No offense but it is amazing to me how people will give up their privacy for a little convenience. It’s not just the nest but the in home Alexa it’s just weird  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options

The seal design on our Skodas is prone to icing as well.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Yeah, that's all good, but you gotta admit, it is pretty freaking cool to say "Alexa, it's cold in here" and have the heat go up two degrees.
    No offense but it is amazing to me how people will give up their privacy for a little convenience. It’s not just the nest but the in home Alexa it’s just weird  
    That's an interesting question.

Technology can potentially expose criminals (and exonerate the innocent) but also invade privacy. 

This is a good read and will make you think:

Not a tinfoil hat guy but in the last 20 years we have lost all privacy in exchange for convenience. And nobody seems to give a crap.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    All that convenience has made us dumber and lazier. Off my box now carry on.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Some people, yes.

W2W2xOLl

Options
    Any guitarists on the forum?  Just snagged a Taylor 612e 12 fret guitar.  This will be my first 12 fret…

That is one sweet guitar!
    @4TheGrillOfIt: Congrats. Beautiful. You will enjoy. What style music do you play? I used to own a Taylor but don’t currently have any in the stable. Closest thing right now is a Breedlove Pro series. Kim Breedlove used to be a luthier for Taylor, so there are some similarities. 

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    No offense taken.  You will have to tell me what I should be afraid of, I guess.  I am not sure anyone gives a **** what temperature I keep my house, or what items I put on my virtual shopping list.  If they are listening in, they better have lots of caffeine!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Wow.  Maybe lazier, but dumber?  It's a thermostat.  I'm not hiding illegal drug operations in my house while talking about it within ear-shot of Alexa.  I am smart enough to unplug her when I do that!

Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    Options
    slowly figuring things out. last summer i got an alexa in the mail without ordering one, no packing slip, just a barcode that i found later that bestbuy could open. then i got a late payment notice from a bestbuy credit card that i did not open. about 4 weeks later i managed to fix my credit. ALEXA YOU $%&#2
    fukahwee maine

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    @4TheGrillOfIt: Congrats. Beautiful. You will enjoy. What style music do you play? I used to own a Taylor but don’t currently have any in the stable. Closest thing right now is a Breedlove Pro series. Kim Breedlove used to be a luthier for Taylor, so there are some similarities. 

Thank you!  This will be the third Taylor in my collection.  I have always been a strummer with some occasional flat picking.  However, in the last year I have started playing finger style—mostly classical etudes.  More and more of my playing time has been taken over by this so I thought this guitar could help.  Good excuse, any way. 

I love the Breedlove’s.  They’re absolutely beautiful guitars and they’re really out in front with Taylor on wood sustainability.  Is the Breedlove your goto or something else?  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    When you're playing your Taylor presto/vivace, is that called Taylor Swift?

(bad, bad dad joke attempt)

Haha!  Telling that one at next week’s jam session,  
    Memphis  
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Yes, but you also have to re-record every track. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Her new album "Sizing Them Up" should be a big seller.

Thank you!  This will be the third Taylor in my collection.  I have always been a strummer with some occasional flat picking.  However, in the last year I have started playing finger style—mostly classical etudes.  More and more of my playing time has been taken over by this so I thought this guitar could help.  Good excuse, any way. 

I love the Breedlove’s.  They’re absolutely beautiful guitars and they’re really out in front with Taylor on wood sustainability.  Is the Breedlove your goto or something else?  
    Sounds like you must have a pretty healthy herd. Good fun, and I have found that most higher-end guitars have been good investments - and ones you can enjoy at that. 

So you’re doing the études on steel string? If so, while I have found the string spacing and fret board radius makes it much more challenging than a classical, the sustain and shimmer of steel cannot be beat, for me. What were your reasons for steel string? You are probably already in-the-know, but if ever you need some recommendations on some “new school” finger style players, let me know. 

What drew you to the 612e? Are you using nails or fleshy fingertips on the plucking hand?

I will always love the Breedlove - partly sentimental, as I bought in on a road trip with my then-girlfriend, now wife - but I’ve recently gravitated to more of my other acoustics. Mostly an acoustic baritone, a spruced-topped piece from a British Columbian luthier and a really fun carbon fibre travel guitar that breaks in two and is carry-on compliant for flights. I am not searching as actively as I used to, but I’d jump on a Lowden or Suhr (or maybe an Emerald - carbon fibre) - if the margins were right on the purchase. 

I could be wrong, but I believe it may be appropriate to tag @GlennM on this particular discussion. 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations Yes, I’ve been playing the etudes on steel—primarily on my Taylor 810.  The string spacing isn’t as big of an issue since the nut is 1 3/4 inch, not as wide as a nylon, but wider than my Martin 000-18.  The bigger issue is that it is physically demanding playing etudes for an hour and a half.

Which leads me to the reason I went for the 612.  The 12 frets should provide a slinkier feel with less tension on the strings.  I went with Taylor because their 12 fret guitars shift the scale placing the bridge more in the lower bout.  This means the top can move more with less effort.  This my hope any way,  I’m, by no means, an authority in these things.

I’ve never played a baritone guitar.  Seems like they are pretty large.  My biggest guitar is a Martin HD28.  Dimension wise and scale I wonder how they would compare?  What kind of music do you play on it?  I’m assuming with a capo you could play anything.
    Memphis  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,505
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I’ve never played a baritone guitar.  Seems like they are pretty large.  My biggest is a Martin HD28.  Dimension wise and scale I wonder how they would compare?  What kind of music do you play on it?  I’m assuming with a capo you could play anything.
    I'm not a guitarist.  But, iirc, the acoustic guitar solos on Glenn Campbell's "Wichita Lineman" and "Galveston", were played on tenor guitar, bringing a special magic to those songs; a tenor guitar has a unique and beautiful place in the audio spectrum.  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Also, check the website.  I got a big rebate for buying my Nest from my electric company.  Check both Nest and your electric company sites.
    Our electric company gave us a free Ecobee lite as incentive to save energy.
    Careful, our Electric company offered that, but you needed to let them control it during peak times.  I bought my own, but didn't realize I needed to disable that feature.  My wife called all upset one day when it was 115 outside and our AC was set to 82.  She thought I did it an locked her out.  Took me a bit, but found a setting on the App and disabled the electric company control.
    We’re aware of and good with that, if if helps prevent the peak demand from overloading the grid’s capacity.
    Unfortunately, the electric company is not altruistic.  They have fought and passed legislation limiting the ability for people to install solar and other alternate power sources.  They also do not invest in new plants (many reasons for this), infrastructure, or ways to improve the grid.  Look at the awful state of the grid in the US. Instead of investing and meeting demand, they use a bubble gum and bailing wire to keep the status quo.
    Ozzie hit the nail on the head.  In my 41 years of utility work, I witnessed the failure to maintain our infrastructure and the transmission system.  The board & investors only care about profit.  Maintenance was a luxury that came with a high cost.  It was easy to defer maintenance, until a major storm hit and the poles were on the ground.  Then we all jumped on the FEMA bandwagon to fund millions to rebuild.
    Now FEMA is broke, so the utilities are on their own.  I retired, and the first thing I purchased was a large generator!  Electricity will become a luxury in the US, and rolling blackouts in the peak (summer) months are already the norm.  Load management devices are only a short term “band aid” for all the utilities, as the lack of base load generation is already at a critical state on any 100 degree day on the US grid.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I believe it may be appropriate to tag @GlennM on this particular discussion. 
    That will be a great finger picking acoustic. 12 fret guitars always sound and play great due to the more central location of the bridge 

I always find guitar threads interesting, I spent 45 years in retail guitar sales.  Major dealer for Taylor, Maartin, Gibson, Etc (Breedlove as well)

I have a 1913 Martin OO-18 12 fret for a finger picking acoustic 

Thanks for tagging me
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    GlennM said:
    That will be a great finger picking acoustic. 12 fret guitars always sound and play great due to the more central location of the bridge 

I always find guitar threads interesting, I spent 45 years in retail guitar sales.  Major dealer for Taylor, Maartin, Gibson, Etc (Breedlove as well)

Thanks for tagging me
    Not sure you can get away without pics of the above mentioned guitar, my friend. Let’s see the ol’ gal. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Thermopop on sale from $35 to $21

GlennM said:

Thanks for tagging me
    Wow!  What a guitar.  Lucky you.  I instantly thought of Steve Earle’s You Tube videos,  He has a massive collection of mostly Martin guitars with some early Gibson’s as well.  He does little 10 minute videos (I think he started during lockdown) of some them.  He’s done some with Martins from the 1800s.  Check them out.  The guy is a walking encyclopedia regarding Martins and guitars in general.

Memphis