Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    @bubbajack: Nice heater. What’s the make and model?
    Yes, @bubbajack, more details, please!  I am looking into something to take the chill out of my garage when I work on my Jeep or my Harley in the cold months.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,107
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    @bubbajack: Nice heater. What’s the make and model?
    Yes, @bubbajack, more details, please!  I am looking into something to take the chill out of my garage when I work on my Jeep or my Harley in the cold months.
    Mr. Heater MH540T, it was $99 at Lowes. This thing will run you out of a garage. Very pleased with it.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Langner91
    Options
    That is awesome!  Do you get a lot of flame at first, or is it all controlled within the convection head?

Some of the videos show a lot of flame coming off it.  If I use it in the garage, I don't really want a big flame jumping around.  But, I am wondering if they have a regulator issue.  I have never seen flames like that on the smaller Mr. Heater heads.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,107
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Slight flame at start up. After that, just heat.

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Langner91
    Options
    Thanks!  I have one coming from Amazon.  My lucky day, $79.99.  Of course, I have to find a propane tank, etc. now.

Thanks for posting that!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Anybody have a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat and recommendations?  After this last trip and coming back to a house that takes too long to bring back up to temp, I would like to be able to start the re-heat or cool process remotely.  Looking at a basic nest, but not sure that is the best option.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,610
    Options
    Anybody have a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat and recommendations?  After this last trip and coming back to a house that takes too long to bring back up to temp, I would like to be able to start the re-heat or cool process remotely.  Looking at a basic nest, but not sure that is the best option.
    We have had the basic nest thermostat for a good few years and love it, you can do everything remotely. What we did do was hard wire it. Great support team if you ever need tech back up. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Langner91
    Options
    +1 on the Nest.  It is awesome and has a ton of features that you can use, or not use.  I love that I can ask Alexa to turn it up or down, and I love being able to turn up the heat before I get home.  

I have a two story apartment, and I bought the extra temperature sensor so I can regulate the upstairs temp while I sleep, and the downstairs temp during the day.

I am all-in on the Nest.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,676
    Options
    Are you looking for a low voltage central heating thermostat or for a high voltage thermostat to control baseboards?

I have baseboards and the two options that were available with HomeKit integration are Mysa and Synopé.  I went with Synopé and I am happy with my choice.

Thanks @johnmitchell and @Langner91, answers what I was looking for, especially on the base model.

@paqman, low voltage central thermostat.  I was shopping for them while with family for the holidays and did a comparability check when we got back last night.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,230
    Options
    Currently I have Ecobees.  Previously, I had a Nest.  They both function similarly, but the Ecobee with remote sensor was about 50% the cost.

With that said, I prefer the Nest.  The looks are nicer, their auto-learn feature is significantly better, easier to program, and the feature that auto-runs the fan for a set amount of time after the heater/AC shuts off is super nice.  That feature alone makes it worth the price delta to me.  If I did it again, I would stick with the Nest.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Langner91
    Options
    Also, check the website.  I got a big rebate for buying my Nest from my electric company.  Check both Nest and your electric company sites.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,625
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Also, check the website.  I got a big rebate for buying my Nest from my electric company.  Check both Nest and your electric company sites.
    Our electric company gave us a free Ecobee lite as incentive to save energy.
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Careful, our Electric company offered that, but you needed to let them control it during peak times.  I bought my own, but didn't realize I needed to disable that feature.  My wife called all upset one day when it was 115 outside and our AC was set to 82.  She thought I did it an locked her out.  Took me a bit, but found a setting on the App and disabled the electric company control.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Langner91
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Careful, our Electric company offered that, but you needed to let them control it during peak times.  I bought my own, but didn't realize I needed to disable that feature.  My wife called all upset one day when it was 115 outside and our AC was set to 82.  She thought I did it an locked her out.  Took me a bit, but found a setting on the App and disabled the electric company control.
    I get $100 a year to let them control mine.  I am gone all day at work anyway.  They can only do it a few times a month, on peak days, etc. etc.  

If I had someone here during the day, I wouldn't do it, but I figure the $100 is fun money that doesn't cause me any pain.

But, your point is valid.  It is an optional deal.  Like you say, just opt out if it doesn't work for you.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Bought these last week, my first pair of cowboy boots.  They are magic boots that also allow me to walk on walls.

Congrats. Very nice. I bought my first pair about ten years back and love them. I also now own two pairs of plain black dress boots appropriate for every day and even office wear from the same company. All pairs are all-leather, including the soles. Don’t forget to condition regularly and polish as needed. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Bought these last week, my first pair of cowboy boots.  They are magic boots that also allow me to walk on walls.

Those look very nice!  Congrats on some nice new kicks.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    We’re aware of and good with that, if if helps prevent the peak demand from overloading the grid’s capacity.
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    We’re aware of and good with that, if if helps prevent the peak demand from overloading the grid’s capacity.
    Unfortunately, the electric company is not altruistic.  They have fought and passed legislation limiting the ability for people to install solar and other alternate power sources.  They also do not invest in new plants (many reasons for this), infrastructure, or ways to improve the grid.  Look at the awful state of the grid in the US. Instead of investing and meeting demand, they use a bubble gum and bailing wire to keep the status quo.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Unfortunately, the electric company is not altruistic.  They have fought and passed legislation limiting the ability for people to install solar and other alternate power sources.  They also do not invest in new plants (many reasons for this), infrastructure, or ways to improve the grid.  Look at the awful state of the grid in the US. Instead of investing and meeting demand, they use a bubble gum and bailing wire to keep the status quo.
    In my neck of the woods
    https://www.alectra.com/active-projects
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Seems like the days when Americans would sacrifice for the greater good based on science and central planning have given way to the populism that posits the government is trying to control you and is bad.

Can you imagine trying to impose the same societal sacrifices as was done in WWII in the current climate?
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Seems like the days when Americans would sacrifice for the greater good based on science and central planning have given way to the populism that posits the government is trying to control you and is bad.

Can you imagine trying to impose the same societal sacrifices as was done in WWII in the current climate?
    We are not in WWII.  We have privatized companies milking the government built infrastructure and failing to maintain, let alone invest in improvements.  Then they implement a peak shaving strategy to further kick the can down the road.  Same with telecoms and prisons.  Privatizing civic duties is one area we have gone wrong.
  • nolaegghead
    Options

We are not in WWII.  We have privatized companies milking the government built infrastructure and failing to maintain, let alone invest in improvements.  Then they implement a peak shaving strategy to further kick the can down the road.  Same with telecoms and prisons.  Privatizing civic duties is one area we have gone wrong.
    No, we're not in WWII but we do face existential threats to our collective future that require making tough decisions at local and global levels that are being obfuscated by forces that want money/power through populism and fear.

Other than that, I agree with everything you said.

Options

Privatised utilities have the same problem here. They were sold on the premise that private business could raise the capital to invest without govt spending restrictions, but what actually happens is that they minimise spening to maximise profit and end up playing cat and mouse with the regulators. We have increasing raw sewage discharges into rivers and the sea because they have get out clauses for storm conditions that they just use all the time. Our crooked govt refuse to hold them to account.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Eoin said:

Privatised utilities have the same problem here. They were sold on the premise that private business could raise the capital to invest without govt spending restrictions, but what actually happens is that they minimise spening to maximise profit and end up playing cat and mouse with the regulators. We have increasing raw sewage discharges into rivers and the sea because they have get out clauses for storm conditions that they just use all the time. Our crooked govt refuse to hold them to account.
    Same boat here.  But some of our candidates have trouble remembering the names of all the federal agencies they want to eliminate.  (hint: it's the "EPA")

Private industry, in their defense, has a goal to make money and ultimately work in the best interest of stockholders.  The customers are hard to lose if they run a monopoly.  They are wildly successful.  All that money utilities make for investors is massive and that comes out of our utility bills.  I'm not saying the government is better or worse in running them, but the profit motive is the main difference between the two. 

Good solutions are usually hybrids of both.  Like medicare (sans drug companies).

Options
    Eoin said:

Same boat here.  But some of our candidates have trouble remembering the names of all the federal agencies they want to eliminate.  (hint: it's the "EPA")

Private industry, in their defense, has a goal to make money and ultimately work in the best interest of stockholders.  The customers are hard to lose if they run a monopoly.  They are wildly successful.  All that money utilities make for investors is massive and that comes out of our utility bills.  I'm not saying the government is better or worse in running them, but the profit motive is the main difference between the two. 

Good solutions are usually hybrids of both.  Like medicare (sans drug companies).

Conservatives here love 'low regulation' which equals less environmental and employment protection.
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Our utility is trying to make improvements but is waiting for the environmental permits to do so. Of course the prior owner was a textbook showcase of your prior point. Can’t say I trust the government to do a better job either.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Langner91
    Options
    Yeah, that's all good, but you gotta admit, it is pretty freaking cool to say "Alexa, it's cold in here" and have the heat go up two degrees.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Yeah, that's all good, but you gotta admit, it is pretty freaking cool to say "Alexa, it's cold in here" and have the heat go up two degrees.
    I have disabled all my Alexa integration, but I love sitting on the sofa and bumping up/down the temperature from my phone.

For a while, when I had the Alexa features turned on, I would play "The Thunder Rolls" from the thermostat.  It's ability to act as a smart speaker humoured me.