Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pandemic updates 2.0

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Not sure if I ever believed in miracles, but it looks like stupidity is on-track to wipe itself out.
    Anything for a head-line these days.  Surely stupid is approaching the lower limit here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    lousubcap said:
    Anything for a head-line these days.  Surely stupid is approaching the lower limit here.  
    Is the asymptotic limit have a benchmark?  Like maybe a single celled organism or maybe a prion?

edited September 2021
    On another thread, @Acn said:
    My daughter’s school has required all students, faculty, staff, and administrators over 16 to be fully vaxxed by 11/1.  If not, expulsion or termination of employment.  Also, if anyone over 12 wants to participate in winter athletics, also required to be jabbed.
    This is the kind of local government “logic” that just infuriates me.  The vaccines have been generally available since sometime in the Spring, and yet this school board is requiring full vaccination, fully two months into the school year?!?!?!?   With the highly-contagious Delta, what f***ing good will that do?!?  One exposure and the whole class is infected, then the whole faculty, then the whole school, and their families (plot the rest of the path yourself, it doesn’t stop).  

I have no doubt, in the US and eventually the world, we’ll reach “herd immunity”.  But it won’t be thru vaccinations; it’ll be thru 100% exposure, and killing off the 1.8% weakest (and more when, WHEN, further mutations surface).  Darwin/God/Mother Nature/Biology have taught us this, I guess that system still works.  

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Botch said:
    My daughter’s school has required all students, faculty, staff, and administrators over 16 to be fully vaxxed by 11/1.  If not, expulsion or termination of employment.  Also, if anyone over 12 wants to participate in winter athletics, also required to be jabbed.
    This is the kind of local government “logic” that just infuriates me.  The vaccines have been generally available since sometime in the Spring, and yet this school board is requiring full vaccination, fully two months into the school year?!?!?!?   With the highly-contagious Delta, what f***ing good will that do?!?  One exposure and the whole class is infected, then the whole faculty, then the whole school, and their families (plot the rest of the path yourself, it doesn’t stop).  

I have no doubt, in the US and eventually the world, we’ll reach “herd immunity”.  But it won’t be thru vaccinations; it’ll be thru 100% exposure, and killing off the 1.8% weakest (and more when, WHEN, further mutations surface).  Darwin/God/Mother Nature/Biology have taught us this, I guess that system still works.  

I'll throw a couple of clarifications out here.  First, not local government or school board; it's the board of trustees of a private PK-12 school.  And yes, vaccines have been generally available to all 16+ since spring, but that was under an EUA, and EVERYWHERE, from the federal government on down, was reluctant to push mandates until Pfizer received full FDA approval, which wasn't granted until the end of August.  The school has been strongly encouraging vaccination since they became available to the general population (and then 12-15 year olds) last spring, and intimating that once they received full FDA approval, COVID vaccines would join MMR, pertussis, and the rest of the regular childhood vaccinations required everywhere.

It is also a requirement to be fully vaxxed by that date, so a second shot would need to occur by 10/18, to allow 2 weeks from final dosage to full immunity; so the first would need to be by 9/20 or 9/27 (can't remember if Pfizer is 3 weeks between doses or 4); so essentially the requirement is start your dosing within 3 or 4 weeks after full FDA approval.  Maybe you can quibble with that, but it's over a matter of days, not months.

Her school also had some level of in person learning starting in October 2020, with a shift to full-time in person learning this past April, and through masking, distancing, contact tracing, routine testing, health checks, and probably yes, some good luck, did not have a documented case of on campus transmission during that school year.

In conclusion, while you mock this, I've got to say that this is light years ahead of the responses of local school districts (in Maryland - I'm not grading on a curve and comparing to Florida or anything) or school districts in Maine where my Mom used to teach and I still have friends from HS teaching, or the major school districts you hear about on the national news.

I'd have to say this is a shining success story of how to handle school during a pandemic; even as I acknowledge that I'm privileged as hell to be able to send SWMBO Jr. there, and that the lessons learned from the experience of one private school with an enrollment of 1400-1500 students on an 800+ acre campus are not remotely applicable to the average school district in the US

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Thanks for the clarification, @Acn.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    Botch said:

i would agree that eventually we all get this, just how long will it take and how many times we get it is the question for me. as for all that tracing farce we heard about a year ago, ive never been contacted
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Today while buying the newspaper I showed the front page to the cashier. One article was about Ingalls Ship building and their reaction to the federal contractors vaccination mandate. There was a similar article about Stennis Space Center (they test rocket and jet engines). The third was "Will workers actually quit rather than be vaccinated". She said that she would quit. She is an obese African American woman of about 40 years of age. I also know that her sister died of Covid about a month ago. I just inwardly shrugged my shoulders and thought "Darwin at work". The local African American pastors have had a largely successful vaccine outreach program and our vaccination percentage in the African American population(Mississippi) is actually higher than the national average of vaccinated African Americans. Some people you just can't reach. 

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    I think they're just starting to catch on to the reverse-psychology conspiracy....

DERP DEY TRICK US AND TRY TO RIG ERECTION BY MAKE US THINK FAKE VIRUS IS JUST CONTROL TO MAKE ME NOT WANNA TAKE IT AND SO DER VOTEES DURNT COUNT AND BLURP DE DURRRP WAH GOOBER FREEDUM!
    JFC. These people. 

“I talked to my attorney before I came here!”

i’d like to hear the attorneys side of the  conversation if it actually happened.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • fishlessman

i have yet to see one of these folks though ive cancelled the last two dental cleanings because of exposure, both times they said come in anyways which is not good either
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Botch said:
    I’m afraid five years of donald trump has done much more damage to the US than we realize.  Common civility has become an oxymoron.   

but imagine her with that attitude and....bad smelly teeth
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    :lol:  

• fishlessman
    sister who already had covid back early spring got fired today for no vax and the two dummies across the street from here went to tenn for some swap meets are covid positive and laid up, one was vaxed the other not. tennessee was on covid fire a week back. the world still turns
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    sister who already had covid back early spring got fired today for no vax and the two dummies across the street from here went to tenn for some swap meets are covid positive and laid up, one was vaxed the other not. tennessee was on covid fire a week back. the world still turns
    You have a crazy sister?  Is she hot? 

You have a crazy sister?  Is she hot? 

if your game, shes looking for a paycheck. she is also the only liberal in the family so yes....crazy
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    When you own the hammer, use it when needed.  What about the 5%?

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    When you own the hammer, use it when needed.  What about the 5%?

Latrine duty until they get stabbed?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 288
    Wife and I each got our covid booster and high-dose flu shots today.  #OLD FOLK FIRST
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    Just saw this on local news scroll...too dense to spit instead of lick  :s

canuckland
  • fishlessman
    must be covid related but dunno. checking in at dana-faber today as a new patient, had to sign a form that there would be no verbal or physical altercations with doctors or staff. had to ask if that happens alot, they said yes. blood pressure was high, blamed it on the girl taking a reading, wonder if i got a demerit
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    must be covid related but dunno. checking in at dana-faber today as a new patient, had to sign a form that there would be no verbal or physical altercations with doctors or staff. had to ask if that happens alot, they said yes. blood pressure was high, blamed it on the girl taking a reading, wonder if i got a demerit
    CBS Mornings toured a hospital in Idaho this morning, where over half of the staff have quit, everyone they interviewed broke down in tears, their families are giving them the riot act at home, and they can't even appear in public in their scrubs. WTFF has happened to this society?!?