Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookies, achieving different textures

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Given that we haven't heard from @buzd504 or @nolaegghead for a while I'm worried that Nola just went over to his house and one of them is dead and the other is in jail.  That was quite the mic drop.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Given that we haven't heard from @buzd504 or @nolaegghead for a while I'm worried that Nola just went over to his house and one of them is dead and the other is in jail.  That was quite the mic drop.
    It depends. I know that nola has that vegan lawyer neighbor to keep him out of jail. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    edited December 2020
    Options
    No white sugar, only brown sugar and molasses. Dark choc chips and pecans as before. 360F x 15 mins. 

Crunchy outside, softer middle, but kinda mounded. Like a scone. They taste great, but I want a thinner/flatter cookie. Even I know that more butter should take care of this, but...

Then I realized I’ve been using 2 HALF sticks of butter, instead of 2 full sticks 🤦🏾‍♂️

• Foghorn
    edited December 2020
    Options
    caliking said:
    No white sugar, only brown sugar and molasses. Dark choc chips and pecans as before. 360F x 15 mins. 

Crunchy outside, softer middle, but kinda mounded. Like a scone. They taste great, but I want a thinner/flatter cookie. Even I know that more butter should take care of this, but...

Then I realized I’ve been using 2 HALF sticks of butter, instead of 2 full sticks 🤦🏾‍♂️
    Dude.  Seriously?

That's like having you come up short on garlic.  

I admire your courage for admitting it here.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Foghorn @caliking That’s what happens to a guy that’s cavalier about weights and measures. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Foghorn @caliking That’s what happens to a guy that’s cavalier about weights and measures. 
     Its what I get for trying to follow a recipe

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    My batch yielded 28 cookies. SWMBO can’t eat them due to an egg allergy so it’s all me. She just asked “How long will those cookies last in the Ziploc”. By my count, I’ll run out sometime Tuesday morning was my response  😂 I believe she was asking about freshness. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Foghorn
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    My batch yielded 28 cookies. SWMBO can’t eat them due to an egg allergy so it’s all me. She just asked “How long will those cookies last in the Ziploc”. By my count, I’ll run out sometime Tuesday morning was my response  😂 I believe she was asking about freshness. 
    My SWMBO also struggles with precise use of English at times.  You have my empathy.

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cookies have a zip-loc shelf life of about a week.  
    Options
    Nice work gents.  Cali - bwahahahaa
    Options
    Oatmeal dark chocolate white chocolate cranberry cookies....
    Options
    Ok, they look good....jury is out....  cooling
    Options
    OMG! These are delicious!  I'll post the recipe later.
    Options
    MMade 28 cookies
    Options
    I’m enjoying following this thread. This is what makes this forum fun. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    MMade 28 cookies

Copycat.  And my recipe makes 42 cookies.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Lol, it's a Saints Sunday.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    Options
    Cookies have a zip-loc shelf life of about a week.  
    Longer, if you stick a slice of bread in with them.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Oatmeal dark chocolate white chocolate cranberry cookies....
    Okay. You have my full attention. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    OMG! These are delicious!  I'll post the recipe later.
    Please do. Those look delicious.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Here it is.  Pretty much the base recipe I followed pretty verbatim (except I screwed up and beat all the sugar butter eggs etc together without doing the sugar and butter first.  I understand why the order and I recovered from it.

Added almost a cup of each: dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and Craisons(tm).

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies/
    Options
    I’ve been making this recipe for a long time. Actually my wife makes them these days. I believe it was from NY times originally. My fav. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Options
    Ok, so these are the best yet.  

Oatmeal with dark chocolate, white chocolate, toffee and cranberries (craisins).  And molasses. 
    Options

That looks like the perfect f'ing cookie to me
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• caliking
    Options

Oatmeal with dark chocolate, white chocolate, toffee and cranberries (craisins).  And molasses. 
    I used all brown sugar and molasses for the ones I tried, and they were noticeably  better than the ones made with some white sugar in the mix. 

• caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I’ve been making this recipe for a long time. Actually my wife makes them these days. I believe it was from NY times originally. My fav. 

Reminds me of the notebook, in which I wrote down a bunch of my mom's recipes after enduring my first semester of college food. Most of the pages are barely legible now, as if trying to decipher my chicken scratch wasn't hard enough for caliqueen :)

• nolaegghead
    Options
    caliking said:

I used all brown sugar and molasses for the ones I tried, and they were noticeably  better than the ones made with some white sugar in the mix. 

I used 3 parts dark brown sugar to 1 part white.  Doubled the molasses.

I've substituted a number of different types of sugars in other recipes and learned some valuable lessons.  There's coconut sugar, several types of raw Asian sugars, turbanado, etc.

Also, curious to try maltose.  Will it taste like beer?  Good question.

There are a limited number of types of sugar (and you can invert glucose), but a much more variation in the source vegetable and level and process of refining.
    Options
    I am soooo making these @nolaegghead. Thank you. 

I was out getting the ingredients without making a list of course, and dummy me got the quick oats. Not the old fashioned. Ugh.   I guess I will get the right oats tomorrow when I go to get the molasses I forgot. There is a specific place I have wanted to go to near me. This gives me the perfect reason to go.   Can. Not. Wait. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I am soooo making these @nolaegghead. Thank you. 

I was out getting the ingredients without making a list of course, and dummy me got the quick oats. Not the old fashioned. Ugh.   I guess I will get the right oats tomorrow when I go to get the molasses I forgot. There is a specific place I have wanted to go to near me. This gives me the perfect reason to go.   Can. Not. Wait. 

They only had one old-fashioned left so I also bought the steel whatever oats.  There may be something faster but the "quick" vs regular is a 2 minute difference in cook time.  Not that we care about that.  The old fashioned, I think, is more "whole" with the germ and whatever they normally take out.

One of those regular sized containers makes EXACTLY two batches of cookies....2 x 3 cups.  Since I'm out of the old fashioned, I'm going to use the steel grind next so I should hopefully be able to tell if there's a difference and if it's for better or worse.

I gave away most of the cookies and I had two people tell me they were the best oatmeal cookies they're ever had.  I try to be modest about these things but I guess I got lucky (queue Frank here).