Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Cookies, achieving different textures

nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 37,952

I'm going to try for the soft and chewy first.

Comments

• buzd504buzd504 Posts: 3,529
    I also listened to a podcast today that said letting the dough rest for 24-48 hours allows the flour to hydrate and also gives you a much better texture.  Makes sense, but I haven't experimented with it.
    NOLA
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 7,956
    Oooeeeyy goooeeeyy, soft and chewy is always the wise choice.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Dik

Camped out in the (757/948/804)

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 37,952
    Well. The recipe made 2 lbs 11 oz of cookies.  Will try one for breakfast.  They are definitely moist.  Will have to play around with this recipe.  I need to cook hotter next time.

• Thin and crispy or gtfo
  • jtcBoyntonjtcBoynton Posts: 2,769
    I am not sure doubling the amount of sugar qualifies as a "slight modification"  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

The cookies are delicious, couldn't eat just one.  (Ate 4).  They were chewy and soft but had some crunchy parts.  I'll post some pics in a bit.

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 8,139
    Yum.!!!
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon Fat Stacks 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • SGHSGH Posts: 28,086
    edited November 2020

That is how I prefer cookies. I actually like them a little raw or “doughy” in the center. 
    “Doughy” might not be a word. If that’s the case, I apologize in advance.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 14,413
    Do the soft and chewy but half way through baking, take the pan out and slam it on the counter 2-3 times. The cookies will spread and leave a mound in the middle so you get crispy edges and a soft, gooey center.
  • Mrs. Stormbringer will be making some of those this weekend.
    Large BGE and MMX, both with platesetter and cast iron grid. Superpeel for pizza, iDevice for temperature.
    Cooking on the large in deepest, darkest England since Oct 2015. MMX added to the family Mar 2016.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I regret this journey as I have been a cookie monster.

What's left of the first batch.  Gave half of them away.

Second batch.  I got 29 large cookies out of it.  I modified some stuff.  Doubled the baking powder, used reeces and dark chocolate, dark corn syrup. Coconut sugar and turbinado.   No white sugar.  Little more flour 

Refrigerated the dough over night to stiffen it up to where I could use an icecream scoop.  Water to lube it.  Sped up the cookie shaping process.  I'm cooking hotter and longer.

Also doubled the vanilla and used salted butter.  So more salt.

I'm shooting for a real raw, flavorful old time flavor profile.  I also used bread flour this time.

• gmanrvagmanrva Posts: 360
    Now I want cookies damiit.
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • dbCooperdbCooper Posts: 999
    Thanks for sharing your cookie journey.  Reece's are a nice addition in my experience, what did you think of those?  Andes Mints can also be considered if those are to your liking.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • BotchBotch Posts: 11,722
    If you change so many variables at once, you won't know what worked and what didn't.  I made this mistake when I was doing so many pizzas.  

Botch said:
    If you change so many variables at once, you won't know what worked and what didn't.  I made this mistake when I was doing so many pizzas.  
    My brain does a fourier transformation on the final results to determine delta parameter shifts in discrete bands of ingredient properties.  I just need to do at least three variations to have an R coefficient > 0.99.  Isn't that what everyone does?

• blind99blind99 Posts: 4,934
    someone told me that fourier transforms are the key to modern life.  he's a smart guy so i trust him and moved on.  

chefsteps also shares your cookie enthusiasm. 

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-ultimate-guide-to-chocolate-chip-cookies-behold-the-cookie-calculator 

https://d3vjjov8ymzzxi.cloudfront.net/chefsteps-com-files/chefsteps-cookie-table.pdf
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 4,789
    SGH said:

That is how I prefer cookies. I actually like them a little raw or “doughy” in the center. 
    “Doughy” might not be a word. If that’s the case, I apologize in advance.  
    Where I come from, “doughy” is definitely a word.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

If the Oxford dictionary is a thing where you are from, then "doughy" is a real word.

• BotchBotch Posts: 11,722
    Botch said:
    My brain does a fourier transformation on the final results to determine delta parameter shifts in discrete bands of ingredient properties.  I just need to do at least three variations to have an R coefficient > 0.99.  Isn't that what everyone does?
    Okay, Donald.  :tongue:  

If the Oxford dictionary is a thing where you are from, then "doughy" is a real word.
    I wonder if puborectal sling or puborectalis are real words 🤔 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

I like 👍 

Status- Standing by.

• calikingcaliking Posts: 15,613
    Great. Just what my fat a$$ needs... a cookie rabbithole.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 8,139
    I'm so Fvcking hungry for a cookie right now ( I thought not appropriate to say hungry for your cookie )
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon Fat Stacks 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker