Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Doing Right Now? (non OT version)

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sorry to hear, cornhole. 

We had a scare the other day, maybe 10 days ago....wife was relaxing after a hospital shift.  Felt terrible all of a sudden.  We have a portable EKG.  Hooked that up and she was in AFIB.  "Can I drive you to the hospital?"  "NO, THE ER IS A SUPER-SPREADER EVENT!".  Anyway, no tachycardia, fortunately.  Took some drugs and got sinus in about an hour and a half.   Happened once before years ago WITH tachychardia.  Was at work.  100 feet away was the ER.  Had to zap her to get sinus.  (Sorry if I f-d up any of the medical terms, not in that field). 
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Beers after a 17 mile ride in the dirt. Almost lost my 88 year old grandfather last week due to a heart attack, he’s back at work today. Unfortunately I lost a riding buddy who had a heart attack out riding on Saturday and could not be resuscitated. Really puts things into perspective. 

I'm also sorry for you loss.  You post beautiful pics of the trails you ride.  May I ask how many miles you put in on a average week?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    Cornholio said:
    Beers after a 17 mile ride in the dirt. Almost lost my 88 year old grandfather last week due to a heart attack, he’s back at work today. Unfortunately I lost a riding buddy who had a heart attack out riding on Saturday and could not be resuscitated. Really puts things into perspective. 

I'm also sorry for you loss.  You post beautiful pics of the trails you ride.  May I ask how many miles you put in on a average week?
    Thanks, Bucky. I try to get out at least twice a week and always shoot for a minimum of 10 miles per ride with at least 1000ft of climbing. Some better weeks I’ll get in 50 miles or so but with a couple youngsters running around our house it can be tough. There are definitely a handful of zero ride weeks throughout the year. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    It's been a productive day but not so much with food. I just finished up 3 oil changes and tossed on a couple take and bakes a few feet away. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @nolaegghead I be all over a plate of that. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Beef schnitzel with peppercorn bechamel, snowcapped butternut squash(dill, onion and sour cream sauce, and corn.  Blue plate special.
    What cut of beef did you use?  Been to Germany multiple times over the years for work and you can’t beat a plate of schnitzel and fries with gravy all over it.  Mostly had pork and veal schnitzel when there.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Beef schnitzel with peppercorn bechamel, snowcapped butternut squash(dill, onion and sour cream sauce, and corn.  Blue plate special.
    What cut of beef did you use?  Been to Germany multiple times over the years for work and you can’t beat a plate of schnitzel and fries with gravy all over it.  Mostly had pork and veal schnitzel when there.

I bought a 10 chunk of Angus sirloin that was $2.99/lb.  Processed it into small steaks and kabobs.  Vacuum sealed it all.  I've been cooking it all sorts of ways, thought a schnitzel would be different.  Beat the crap out of it with a tenderizer hammer, breaded with egg/milk/mayo then panko.  Cooked under the boiler until it was crispy on the outside and just pink on the inside.  Gravy was butter/flour roux with milk, pepper and a light colored Badia spice (garlic, herbs, salt, etc).  Wanted to avoid the splatter on the new range from frying and keep it sightly less fatty for better health.
    edited January 2021
    Options
    So, uhm, anyone ever installed a toilet? If so, it in the realm of DIY for a person that's never changed their own oil? Or should I call a plumber....
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Pretty straight forward.  The key is the wax ring sealing surface interface between the bowl and discharge line.  I have not changed one in around 10 years but I'm sure there is plenty of "how to" youtube instructions out there.  
    As long as you have an operational toilet while changing it out, if all goes south then you can call in the plumber.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    So, uhm, anyone ever installed a toilet? If so, it in the realm of DIY for a person that's never changed their own oil? Or should I call a plumber....

pretty straight forward, look into the removable rubber seal instead of the wax incase you do a floor over down the road. pretty straight forward. with wax you sometimes need to double up if things have shifted. the toto toilets are easier to set up over the old plunger, chain float styles
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the other thing with the toto is they mount to the floor, not the metal drain flange which you sometimes find broken at removal. no studs sticking up for the mop to catch on
    fukahwee maine

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    You got this sage advice above. Just did a couple. PM me if you have questions. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    When working on any plumbing project involving a water line, make sure you know where your main cut-off valve is located, you can get to it, and you have the tool required to shut off the valve handy.  This can make a difference.
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Our master bath toilet's been in the house since it was built in ~'87. I'd show you pics of the toilet seat but I'd probably get banned. The original owners really did a bang up job on it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    edited January 2021
    Options
    my grandfather would say "never put your face where a boiler maker puts his arse" ;)
    fukahwee maine

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Was told this at an early age, it has served me well... Never do a plumbing project when the hardware stores are closed.
    If the shut-off valve to your toilet has not been exercised in some time it could give troubles.  May want to verify its operation a day or two before getting started.
    ^This.  Shut off valves that haven't been touched in decades should probably be replaced as part of the project.  If the valve seems to work fine, then go for it.  I'm a borderline idiot and I replaced a toilet.  Actually quite simple. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    If going Toto (and I recommend them) another thing to be aware of, the ones I have installed are a one piece rig so heavy as he!! to maneuver into place. You've got this.    
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If going Toto (and I recommend them) another thing to be aware of, the ones I have installed are a one piece rig so heavy as he!! to maneuver into place. You've got this.    

I was looking at Gerber. I don't know anything about toilets other than I shiit in them. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    lousubcap said:

I was looking at Gerber. I don't know anything about toilets other than I shiit in them. 

taller the better
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    lousubcap said:

taller the better

and a window to look out over the lake
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Toilets are a major platform for "lernin stuff" in much of the country. 

Eat more fiber.
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Pretty straight forward.  The key is the wax ring sealing surface interface between the bowl and discharge line.  I have not changed one in around 10 years but I'm sure there is plenty of "how to" youtube instructions out there.  
    As long as you have an operational toilet while changing it out, if all goes south then you can call in the plumber.  FWIW-
    Here's a YouTube video I found helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXYBVVYpmRY
    California
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Tip2Tip said:
    lousubcap said:

OMFG!!!!!!

Options
    Tip2Tip said:
    lousubcap said:

i dont see how the tp works when using that, maybe he is making another video
    fukahwee maine

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Fun fact:

Frank Lloyd Wright buried the toilets in the Edgar Kaufmann house (Fallingwater) under a six or seven inch slab of concrete so as to effect a squatting position when in use. He learned of the squatting practice from travels in Italy and Japan. 

He also likely invented the wall-hung toilet and toilet partition (for the Larkin Building) to facilitate easier mopping of the floor, in the name of efficiency and sanitary rigor. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    We have one of those new-fangled squatty things (not my doing) and it makes it really hard to use my smartphone.  Toilet tech SUCKS
    SonVolt said:
    If you buy the toilet from Lowe's typically they offer a pretty cheap install deal.  It was a few years ago but I think they charged like $125.  Includes haul-away of the old one, so given the convenience factor and lack of effort required on my part, I went for it and the dude totally switched them out in like 20 minutes.  Much better than hours of me swearing while trying to figure it out.