Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Turkey

Im going to try this for the first time this year.
My question for you guys that have done it both ways is does the egg turn out a better bird than the oven ?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited November 2020
    While I have never been faithful to the Mad Max method I believe your real question you meant to ask which is best - a turkey in a BGE or in the kitchen oven. Right?

The BGE turkey is the best IMO! I suppose if you have a huge convection oven and all that, but the BGE works magic on that bird!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The way I understood it the Mad Max method could be done on the egg or in the oven.
    I was just wondering if the egg version was better than the oven version ?
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    I've only done it on the egg (once), and I can say it turned out amazing. I wouldn't ever change that method.  It had just the right amount of smoke/bbq flavor (I didn't add any wood chunks).

I think what makes the BGE turkey nice, is that slightly different bbq taste ... it introduces a lot of flavor, which is atypical of the oven method, so people generally appreciate the change!  

Plus you know there's WAY more personal gratification when you've cooked it on the BGE and nailed it ... oven is always seen as the easy way out! HAHA>
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i cook two birds on tday, one egged, the other in the oven. the egged one disappears first.  the one in the oven has stuffing in it though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I've done it on the egg for some years now and can say it is fantastic. Its taking me a couple years to get the gravy part down but every year it gets better.  I'm sure it would be just about as good in the oven but ours is usually getting used for other things so the egg gets the turkey.
  • Mad Max Turkey on the egg is outstanding.  I don’t think the same flavor and skin color can be achieved in the oven.  Pay attention to the gravy prep.  The gravy may be the best part.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • GabeD
    GabeD Posts: 21
    edited November 2020
    nealmgb said:
    The gravy may be the best part.

This is very true. I made the Mad Max turkey for the first time last year and the gravy was absolutely astoundingly good. The turkey on the egg was fantastic too. I probably needed to chill the breasts a little more than I did but overall it was great and I plan on doing the turkey using this method again this year.

I'll agree with what others have said above in that it has a very nice balance of smoke/wood flavor adding another layer of complexity, even without using any additional wood chunks.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Here the vote goes to the BGE.  On the ovenforum.com it may be a different answer.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Another vote for the egg!

• Modified Mad Max on the egg every year since I got my egg.  Never going back.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Mark_B_Good
    GabeD said:

I probably needed to chill the breasts a little more than I did ...
    Yeah, same here, not by much, I think my thigh hit 165F and the breast was at like 166F, so not too bad.

But I think one thing the recipe/instructions don't emphasize is STEP 1 should be put the ice packs on the breast ... there's so much time spent on preparing the broth, and stuffing turkey ... and all that time, the ice packs could be on the breast ... I'd say it needs the ice one the breasts at least 1 hour.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    The egg by a mile.  Not even close.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Can't speak for mad max method, but we wouldn't imagine not using the BGE for the bird. The other big advantage is all that extra room it creates in your oven for sides and the like.
    Stillwater, MN
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    What is this Turkey rub he talks about?  Last night I was all ready to spatchcock, but now maybe Mad Max.  I CAN'T DECIDE
  • JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    edited November 2020
    Its actually a whole method. Very good, just give yourself plenty of time to do it right. The rub for it is from Dizzy Pig.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
  • RyanStl
    The part that puzzles me is he puts on the rub/paste then pours wine over. Wouldn't that wash off the rub?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    RyanStl said:
    What is this Turkey rub he talks about?  Last night I was all ready to spatchcock, but now maybe Mad Max.  I CAN'T DECIDE

his original recipe used fresh herbs, dizzy pig commercialized it later

the original recipe

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I've done both in the egg and in the oven. Both work great, it is a method, not anything set in stone.
    That being said, I ALWAYs do it in the egg for Thanksgiving, simply because it leaves the oven open for other food. 
  • i cook two birds on tday, one egged, the other in the oven. the egged one disappears first.  the one in the oven has stuffing in it though
    Same here, I cook 2 birds on Thanksgiving, one on the Egg and the other I deep fry, the deep fry always goes first!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• RyanStl said:
    The part that puzzles me is he puts on the rub/paste then pours wine over. Wouldn't that wash off the rub?
    Not really. The butter you mix it with keeps it on there pretty good. Also as you baste using the juices from the pot everything gets back on there.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl said:

the original recipe

Thanks it's good to have an alternative.
  • Mark_B_Good
    RyanStl said:
    RyanStl said:

the original recipe

Thanks it's good to have an alternative.
    I just used another Turkey rub ... I couldn't find dizzy pig and it came out amazing anyhow. As for pouring the wine on top, the butter mix is really thick, it doesn't really wash off, it's stick as s*(t ... having said that, I don't think any of the wine gets into the turkey by pouring on it ... it's more to have it in the pan, and getting those aromatics from the wine into the turkey as it cooks ... plus helps with the gravy after.
  • RyanStl
    edited November 2020
    Looking at the Dizzy Pig ingredient list on the online picture of bottle and descrpition along with the original recipe I feel like I can easily recreate it.  I love making rubs from scratch instead of store bought.  I'm convinced now I'll do a Mad Max instead of spatchcock.  I won't pour the wine on top, but will get it in the cavity and the roasting pan.  I also realized I can use my rib rack upside down to make a roaster pan.
  • Always do One Mad Max on the egg and follow the recipe to the t. Comes out great and the gravy is the best,.   Also one Spatchcock on a pellet grill.