Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA: Check the air pressure in your tires!

Options
We just recently got our first significant cold front.  So I checked the air in my truck tires and it was down 7 psi in 3 and 20 psi in one.

Almost without exception, if you have one tire with markedly lower air in it than the others, there's no "hmmm, wonder why..."... YOU HAVE A LEAK.  Always. Deal with it. That or someone is f-in' with you.

Also, one of the best tools I've ever purchased will help you.

Carry on and don't run flat.

PS:  adjust your tire pressure when your tires are cold and your vehicle is in the shade.

Comments

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I prefer this:

https://leeparksdesign.com/accurate-tire-gauge/

Plus it teaches you what the codes on tires mean!

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    I use this

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    ~1 psi per 10 degrees in temp.  (PV=nRT, if you must calculate it).

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    I was told that if you put Nitrogen in your tires you won’t have that problem 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    When you have E rated tires and the dealer, in their wisdom airs them up to 75psi.  I run them at 25psi and told the dealer not to adjust them.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    mine goes in for a leaky rear passenger this week. seems the lug nuts arent the same size socket size for some reason so looks like new lugs soon as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Shrinkage is shrinkage... =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HogFather
    Options
    I use a mixture with ~80% nitrogen.

Hmm....How do you get the regular old air out of the tire once it's mounted and sealed on the bead? Do they evacuate the air out of the tire before filling with Nitrogen?

Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • HogFather
    Options
    We just recently got our first significant cold front.  So I checked the air in my truck tires and it was down 7 psi in 3 and 20 psi in one.

Almost without exception, if you have one tire with markedly lower air in it than the others, there's no "hmmm, wonder why..."... YOU HAVE A LEAK.  Always. Deal with it. That or someone is f-in' with you.

PS:  adjust your tire pressure when your tires are cold and your vehicle is in the shade.

That's for wussies. I use the kick test
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HogFather said:
    I use a mixture with ~80% nitrogen.

Hmm....How do you get the regular old air out of the tire once it's mounted and sealed on the bead? Do they evacuate the air out of the tire before filling with Nitrogen?

Turns out, the air in my region of the US has the same mixture I use in my tires, so no need to evacuate the air and replace it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Well that's also want I was told at COSTCO when I had a new set of tires installed - 100% nitrogen they claim and I have yet to have any drop in pressure. Made a believer out of me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    HogFather said:

That's for wussies. I use the kick test
    The kick test is for when you buy a NEW car. (or used, I guess)

Options
    RRP said:
    Well that's also want I was told at COSTCO when I had a new set of tires installed - 100% nitrogen they claim and I have yet to have any drop in pressure. Made a believer out of me!
    Dry nitrogen vs wet air.  What happens when water gets hot? 

Math Encounters Blog  I stumbled upon some math today   Page 54

Yeah but how big are the molecules?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options

I get a whiff of what you're joking about here, but molecule size actually breaks PV=nRT at extremely high pressures.  Nothing you'd see in a tire, but maybe inside a RWNJ brain.
    Options

Average mole is 4"-11" long.  Eastern and Oregon being on the larger side.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Its popular up here in the north and it does help with our wild temp swings, but not worth the hassle. Aviation tires use it too as they are exposed to some big temperature differences as well. I am battling a leaky aluminum rim right now. Nitrogen is supposed to help with that too as the molecule is bigger, but I just keep adding a few pounds of air once a week. Once a second starts to leak i will have them dismounted and sealed up again. Its the same problem every year. The salt and/or calcium on our roads is a never ending battle. TPMS is a great feature

• nolaegghead
    Options
    For anyone interested in Nitrogen vs Air, this pretty much sums it up (and you will be surprised).

Options
    Next time I see any of you fellas, I’ll fill your tires with 78% nitrogen for half the price of the tire shops. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I went full nitrogen for the cool green valve stem caps.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i have an air dryer on my air line.  betting my mechanic has a box of used green caps for the taking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    nolaegghead said:
    What happens when water gets hot?  
    Well duh...... It burns you  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    JohnInCarolina said:
    Average mole is 4"-11" long.  Eastern and Oregon being on the larger side.
    My mole is 9", it won't get thru a mask.

Twue Stowey:  In Dayton OH I actually auditioned with a band called The Trouser Mice.   B)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    RRP said:
    Snake oil buddy
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @Botch stop trying to turn Scottie on, man, he's already out of control...
    Options
    I don’t go for the nitrogen upsell but sometimes they just fill them up and give me the green caps anyways. I swap them out after so I don’t look like I got swindled. 

I definitely knew something was wrong the other day when my wife’s Benz showed 10psi lower in the rear right tire. Always a relief when it’s in the middle of the tread and can be plugged. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    For anyone interested in Nitrogen vs Air, this pretty much sums it up (and you will be surprised).

But what if I want the false sense of security?
  • nolaegghead
    Options

But what if I want the false sense of security?
    write your security prayer on the back of a Benjamin and send it to me and I'll give it to my prayer warrior network and you will have 5 years of false security.

You better believe it.