Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reaching a pivotal point and would welcome suggestions.

Due to the inland hurricane that destroyed my Eggs and tables I must make a decision regarding replacement.  I had an XL and a Medium in separate wooden tables. Insurance will be footing most of the cost but things in my life have changed a lot from when I initially purchased the Eggs. I presently live alone and do not entertain in near the manner that I did previously. I need to decide whether to replace the Egg(s) or move to a different platform. I really have little need for 2 Eggs.
Most of the accessories for the XL were in the storage cabinet and survived (Pretty much the full Ceramic Grill Store  setup). I had minimal accessories for the Medium as I only used it for 1/2 racks, burgers and steaks.
Another issue is that Iowa climate was very hard on the BGE wooden tables. They were really showing their age.
Probably the smart thing to do would be to replace with a single Large Egg in the newer modular tables but really hate to not be able to use all the XL accessories I have accumulated over time even though it is overkill.
Give a fellow a little guidance here and thanks.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I’d get another XL, put it in the integrated nest handler and use your accessories. As efficient as the XL is it just makes the most sense to me. Plus you’ll have the real estate if you need it
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Most of the accessories for the XL were in the storage cabinet and survived (Pretty much the full Ceramic Grill Store  setup). I had minimal accessories for the Medium 
    The above would make it a no brainer for me. XL all the way. I have the large and think it is fantastic. But if I had it to do over again I would get the XL. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I would get a Kamado Joe  =)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    edited October 2020
    It sounds like you will be cooking for yourself mainly since you live alone and don't entertain so I would go with the Medium replacement. I see no reason to get an XL to cook for yourself.

If you plan on entertaining more down the road then go for the XL for sure though.
  • You can cook a lot of food on a single Large. Save the $$ on the second egg and buy you a nest and a stainless table. 

You could even throw a minimax on the table. I love my MM. I put it on the pool deck at my FILs house and I can cook a bunch of wings, spatchcock chicken, sides, or half the plate and do a potato and veggies on one side and a steak on the other. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    ColtsFan said:
    I’d get another XL, put it in the integrated nest handler and use your accessories. As efficient as the XL is it just makes the most sense to me. Plus you’ll have the real estate if you need it
    This

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sorry to hear about the hurricane damage. Hope your family and home fared well. 

If you have a lot invested in XL accessories, get another one. Yes, its big, but you don't have to fire it up only to cook for 10 people all the time. There are a few lump reducer options, and some relatively inexpensive hacks/mods too.

And good to see you back here.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Get an XL and use your accessories. I have one for just my wife and I and, under normal
    circumstances, we both travel for work almost weekly so we end up cooking for ourselves quite a bit. I’ve never once wished I had less room to cook on, regardless of how much or how little we entertain. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Once you decide on the egg, take a look at @Tspud1 for the table. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    We only met once at the Peoria Eggfest a few years back, but I have replied to your other insurance loss posts so I think that still works as "knowing you" - LOL

Based on what you have said in this post as well then my gut still tells me to spend your insurance money on a new XL and then buy yourself a M/M BGE or even another brand of a small unit. After all... firing up an XL when you only need the fire power of a small grill is a waste of lump - IMHO.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I have only ever owned a medium and a large in that order. I would like that combo.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    I've got a medium and cook just for myself. I'd like a large instead, not so much to cook for more people, but so that I'd have more left-overs and not need to cook quite so often. But since I've never had an XL, I can't address that option. But I'll bet that you can recover probably half the accessories value by selling them, which would ease the pain of replacing them for a large.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • He will be collecting insurance for an XL and a Medium. Replacing it with a Large and Medium or just a Large will leave some cash for new accessories.
  • Only you will know what best suits your needs. Having said that, once you knew an insurance claim was necessary you should have immediately damaged your accessories and included those in the claim.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited November 2020
    I’ve cooked for 6 and cooked for 1.  I always wish I had a XL instead of a Large.  I didn’t get a XL initially because I was intimidated by the size of the lid.  Didn’t think my micro-bicep could handle it well.   

For me, firing up the egg is not something I do on whim. I like to cook a large quantity,  freeze leftovers and then need to cook less often.  

If I had a XL I would always smoke cabbage halves and onion halves on the sides.
    2 yummy healthy veggies that are awesome smoked.    But usually don’t have enough room to do that unless in a different batch.

Especially with insurance covering the initial outlay, and accessories to leverage, I would get a XL in a heart beat. The egg is so efficient with its lump fuel. 

Have you seen the reddit thread on how to file an insurance claim after fire / loss? 

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Only you will know what best suits your needs. Having said that, once you knew an insurance claim was necessary you should have immediately damaged your accessories and included those in the claim.
    Wrong!!!  We all pay for insurance fraud and that is what you are telling him to do.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I have a large and a Joe jr. Just two of us and the occasional couple for dinner. I rarely use the large, I wouldn’t want to be without the jr, it gets a real good workout and is the perfect size for 95% of our cooks 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • @StillSmoken
    Thanks for speaking up, kuddos to you.
    Codfish
  • Edit,
    Should be QDUDE.
    Thanks....
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I went through the size dilemma four years ago. Just Ynette and I, and a few times a year a party of no more than six. Against a lot of advice I bought the XL and have never been sorry. I like to do large batches and have leftovers, and I also like to do side dishes at the same time. I probably wouldn't fire up the Egg for one hamburger or hot dog, but on most cooks I still have plenty of usable lump after shutting down, so even that isn't out of the question.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    You live alone and cook for one person most often.  Firing up an XL is a lot for that.  I am married, cook for 2 most of the time, own an XL and a Med and cook on the Med most frequently.  If I were you, I would split the difference, get a large.  Don't get me wrong, I love my XL and I use it cuz of local family. As for your XL accessories, there's always lists (including this one) to dispose of them.  Glad you are safe. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    edited November 2020
    I bought an XL for the family, it’s the only charcoal cooker I have.  Just two of us now and still glad I have it when I want to cook something large.  But also glad most of the time to have the real estate to move things around, chase hot or cold spots.

I’ve never been a lump miser, I just don’t worry about how much I’m burning vs a smaller egg.  

And maybe I’m claustrophobic, But I get stressed out just looking at those pics people post of a mini or small that is wall to wall with pork chops or whatever.