Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Backyard DIY Charcoal Production

Options
I said I’d make a DIY In another thread about folks having trouble finding lump charcoal in stores.

Many online sources show charcoal making in a 55 gallon drum, or similar.  I live in the suburbs, and while I don’t particularly care if my neighbors think I’m a hillbilly, my wife has bourgeoisie aspirations that don’t include a 55 gallon drum smoldering away.  

I use a 6 gallon metal pail.  Costs $15 at home depot.  I drilled to 1/2 inch or 3/4 holes in the lid. 

It’s not complicated.  

Fill the can with wood, as full as you can.  Right now I’m using a Silver Maple.  Don’t let the marketers fool you, any hardwood/deciduous tree wood will suffice.  The drier/more seasoned the better.  If you’re anal retentive and have a table or chop saw, you can saw similar sized briquettes. 

Build a bonfire, set the can on top, and light it.   

Initially the holes should steam, eventually the steam will turn to fire.  This is the moisture, and wood gasses burning off, leaving you the more pure carbon of the wood in charcoal form. 

When that’s burned out, let it cool a few hours and collect your charcoal.

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Haven’t seen this done before and I am curious about the level of carbonization compared to “commercial” bought. Have you ever done a comparison on weight vs volume? 

How is the smoke level/after taste of the homemade?

thanks for sharing-
    Greensboro, NC
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Cool idea. I don't know how i would feel about using a  galvanized pail though. I've seen welders get sick from the zinc
  • UplandEgger
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Haven’t seen this done before and I am curious about the level of carbonization compared to “commercial” bought. Have you ever done a comparison on weight vs volume? 

How is the smoke level/after taste of the homemade?

thanks for sharing-
    Honestly, never done a weight comparison on a scale.  I would say that the level of carbonization is on par with most store bought, provided you don't get too aggressive in the size of the logs that you put in the kiln.  If it's big enough to be a firewood log independently you need a really long burn, really dry wood, or a second run the following day.  if you're using chunk size pieces about the size of the chunk wood you can buy for smokers at the store (not the woodchips, the bigger chunks) that's ideal; you can also fit more in the can.  

Taste is fine; some commercial lump I've used has had a randomly odd taste/smell and I haven't had that with the homemade stuff.  Smoke level is comparable to commercial bagged charcoal, unless you use a really big piece that doesn't fully carbonize then you get more smoke (to be expected I suppose.) I've never gotten really adventurous with the woods I've used.  My yard has tons of oaks, and I cut down a maple this spring.  Around here there are a lot of decorative fruit trees (bradford pear comes to mind) and I have some of that wood that I mostly use for smoker wood, but it also makes nice charcoal.  So, I've been using the maple that has seasoned about six months.  It's fine.  

I lit a fire in the can before I did the first batch to "season" it, and burn any chemicals from the manufacturing of the galvanized can.  That may have been totally unnecessary and for all I know, counterproductive.  

If one has can drop the can in a second, bigger barrel, they can be more efficient in surrounding it with heat and use less wood.  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    This is one item I am going to continue to purchase. Interesting read though.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • UplandEgger
    Options
    poster said:
    Cool idea. I don't know how i would feel about using a  galvanized pail though. I've seen welders get sick from the zinc
    I suppose if you were sitting over the top of it breathing it in (like welders often do) that might be the case.  But one doesn't get welder's fever from sitting eight feet away in the outdoors.  The inside of the pail gets coated in a hurry with char. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Would be interesting to see how this works in a Solo stove, any volunteer?
    canuckland
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I have some hickory and a 55 gallon drum. I might sit it in the fire pit Fri night during the Zoom call and see how this works
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    😳😳😳

I need to step up my game 😂🤣😂

😳😳😳

Would be interesting to see how this works in a Solo stove, any volunteer?
    It would work extremely well.
    A better way of doing this is to put the kiln in a properly vented burn barrel, which is less efficient than a solo stove.  
  • UplandEgger
    Options
    I have some hickory and a 55 gallon drum. I might sit it in the fire pit Fri night during the Zoom call and see how this works
    Obviously it depends on the size of your fire pit, but in a 55 gallon drum I'd follow this guys method:

http://iron.wlu.edu/reports/CharcoalBarrel.htm
    QUOTE: Take a 55 gallon drum with a removable lid. Stand it up with the open end up. At the bottom, cut six 1” holes evenly spaced around the perimeter as intake vents (keep experimenting with # and size of holes, I’m not settled on this yet). Fill the barrel with small wood- I’ve mostly been using oak flooring cutoffs, but I think the main thing is that you have the barrel fairly tightly packed. (note: you will not see the vents in these photos- I had the bottom open on these)  

Start a fire on top of the barrelful of wood. Let it burn down to the bottom vents- this might take 6 or 8 hours. Put the lid on the barrel, and toss some dirt on the vents to seal them. Come back in the morning when it’s cooled, and harvest your charcoal. That’s it.

• UplandEgger
    Options
    @canugghead with a solo stove the kiln would really work better reversed.  So instead of the holes being on the top they'd be on the bottom to better utilize the gas afterburning effects of that stove design.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would advise anyone worried about zinc fumes to follow the general guidelines on not breathing any smoke from fires.  Any wood fire generates smoke that is bad for you.  So, avoid it.  Don't breathe it. But I wouldn't worry about the zinc unless you're making charcoal in your house.
    Options
    So much better and fresher than store bought!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    This is the same way we made the char cloth in scouts we used when making fire from flint and steel. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    That’s pretty cool. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    RRog17 said:
    That’s pretty cool. 
    Rumor has it you no longer live in Summerfield NC. You need to update unless you are maintaining a stealth profile in Georgia.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    RRog17 said:
    That’s pretty cool. 
    Rumor has it you no longer live in Summerfield NC. You need to update unless you are maintaining a stealth profile in Georgia.
    Ha. I do not. I also don’t see that info on here any longer or where I can change it. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone