Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Greek chicken thigh sausage with pesto orzo kalamata olive and goodies from the garden

Options
Another winner for our chicken sausage experiment last week. This one is chicken thigh, feta, lemon zest, oregano, basil

cooked Sous vide at 160 for an hour and charred up on the BGE. Last time with the Thai sausage I did 165 but 160 is the number. Was juicier and more tender at 160. 

Served with orzo pesto and kalamata olive with basil and tomato from the garden. Topped with a little Drizzle of homemade lemon vinaigrette. Headed down to eat the second link now. Really happy with this one. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stop it!  Yur killin me!

I just ate a couple ghost pepper snack sticks and, as much as I thought they'd be too hot, they're actually not hot enough.
    Options
    Delicious!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker That looks good all the way around. You make this look easy...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker That looks good all the way around. You make this look easy...

well, the hard part was definitely done last week when we ground and stuffed it. Today was pretty easy. Definitely enjoyed the payoff to all the hard work though. Well worth it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Stop it!  Yur killin me!

I just ate a couple ghost pepper snack sticks and, as much as I thought they'd be too hot, they're actually not hot enough.

I need to get on the snack stick game.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Stop it!  Yur killin me!

I'm telling you,fermenting them like a salami is a game changer ...give it a go
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Stop it!  Yur killin me!

I'm telling you,fermenting them like a salami is a game changer 

need to make some room in the fermentation station for some meat
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Your sausage game is massive!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Stop it!  Yur killin me!

I'm telling you,fermenting them like a salami is a game changer 

need to make some room in the fermentation station for some meat
    Toot toot!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I dare say this plate looks finer than the thai sausage. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    I dare say this plate looks finer than the thai sausage. 

It does. Sober lunch vs boozy dinner
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Great plate right there.  
    @dmchicago- Not too sure about you and your Austin buddies... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Dude....youre killing it lately!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Dude....youre killing it lately!

covid boredom! (but thank you)
  • SciAggie
    Options
    This needs a bump. I had to look at it again. There is SO much subtle goodness in this cook. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Lawd, have mercy, Cen-Tex!  Great job!  This hits on all of our faves.  We greatly prefer chicken sausage made from thighs vs. breasts.  Greek flavors are always at the top of our list!  Beautifully done!  You and Janell need to set up a little pop up in your front yard for drive-by meat purchases!!  Seriously.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's some good looking good for sure. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I never really think to make chicken sausage.  Great idea, love the greek seasoning concept.
    I never really think to make chicken sausage.  Great idea, love the greek seasoning concept.

we love these last few we did. We will keep these plus add a few more to the rotation as well. I love sausage but I can't be pounding down tubes of pig fat every week.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lawd, have mercy, Cen-Tex!  Great job!  This hits on all of our faves.  We greatly prefer chicken sausage made from thighs vs. breasts.  Greek flavors are always at the top of our list!  Beautifully done!  You and Janell need to set up a little pop up in your front yard for drive-by meat purchases!!  Seriously.

Ha! I'm usually the drive-by meat purchaser not seller. That would be a switch.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Those look killer!! I've never made sausage with chicken before. Thought about it, just never got around to it. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Those look killer!! I've never made sausage with chicken before. Thought about it, just never got around to it. 

100% chicken thigh no added fat. Chicken thigh is right around 30% fat so it binds up real nice and makes a great sausage. I mentioned above that I did use a little non-fat dry milk (1% by weight) as a binder. I've never made chicken sausage either so I don't know any better, but it worked out great with the binder. I hope we can repay you for the awesome venison sausage recipe you shared with us.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Did you follow a recipe for the chicken sausage? (My grinder and stuffer shipped today)

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Enough with these over the top sausage post!! 

Dude you are on a definite roll with the sausage! 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Duuuuuude
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Did you follow a recipe for the chicken sausage? (My grinder and stuffer shipped today)

If you want one of the recipes I posted I’ll get janell to send it me. She came up with the spice mix. We did not follow a recipe but we did measure and write it down. Otherwise, grind chicken thigh and add whatever spices you want. No need to add any additional fat. I did use 1% by weight of nonfat dry mild as a binder. 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I envy your talent & energy! 
    great looking eats
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker That’s enough. Remember I’m a sausage rookie. I didn’t know if you used any cure or anything. I see it’s a fresh product to be cooked right away. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker That’s enough. Remember I’m a sausage rookie. I didn’t know if you used any cure or anything. I see it’s a fresh product to be cooked right away. 
    You can freeze it and cook it later (I always do). You could even sous vide it and grill later or SV freeze after that.