Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any advice on minimizing BGE temperature variation while smoking a pork butt overnight?

Any advice on minimizing BGE temperature variation while smoking a pork butt overnight?

Best Answers

Answers

• Makes sense, thanks!!
  • Good info above. Not sure what temp you are running but BGE's seem to like 250 for low and slow, I don't have a temp controller and run 250 with no problems. Also, I start a small fire in one corner of the egg to begin with instead of lighting in the middle of the egg, It is easier to make temperature adjustments.
    LBGE
    AL
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Make sure your firebox is full.  No need to scrimp on lump.  With butts, temp swings of 50 degrees will make no difference in the end.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• The other thing is: pork butts on the BGE are very forgiving.  Don’t worry too much about temperature variations.  As long as you set it up so it won’t run away from you and flare up, you should be happy with the end result.  Enjoy!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • QDude
    The other thing is: pork butts on the BGE are very forgiving.  Don’t worry too much about temperature variations.  As long as you set it up so it won’t run away from you and flare up, you should be happy with the end result.  Enjoy!
    John is right on the money about this.

Another suggestion - do a search on Korean pulled pork here.  There is a post about only using salt and sugar for the rub and then finishing with a sugar glaze by broiling the butt for a few minutes.  Did this a few weeks ago and it was the best I have ever done.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Foghorn said:
    Welcome aboard Teegs.

As @TEXASBGE2018 says, just leave the vents alone overnight.

When you put the meat on the dome (and probably grid thermo if you have one) will read a lower temp just because there is a big hunk of cold meat near it - but the size of the fire doesn't change just because you put some meat in the egg. Over time the meat will warm and shrink and the temperature will rise.
    This. When I was new to my egg I had to learn this the hard way. Just leave them be once you get the temps right and they will rise back to normal.
  • BGNMI
    BGNMI Posts: 20
    I just did one last weekend and it was perfect. 

LBGE. Plate set inverted, drip tray, on rack. 75% full firebox
    Got it on about 2pm. Fire started in front. 4 chunks spread out 
    Held 250-275 easily so I went with that. 2 butts 9lb each

Let it do its thing till 10pm. I checked from time to time but did not have to adjust much. I was @ 165F at 10pm. Because i wanted to go to bed, I put both in a drip tray and tightly wrapped it in foil. I then cut vents a bit to get 200-225 ish and went to bed. Woke up @ 5 and it was just perfect, hot, melty
    probe like butter plenty of bark

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have found, based on testing the thermodynamics of my gas oven, vs. my BGE's, the ceramic cooker maintains temp with lower fluctuation.

I have a SOTA gas oven with our kitchen remodel I thouroughly enjoy, but is absolutely not competitive with a BGE when adjusted for a maintainable desired temperature.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I think it's good to have a quality coal first of all ... I use BGE Hickory Oak from USA.  It's probably the best I can get my hands on up here in Toronto.

Then you need to keep those vents closed about 1/16" to 1/8" at most on bottom, and probably 1/8" to 1/4" on top.

I also put a deep pan of water on the grid ... some will say it's overkill ... but I think it does moderate the temperatures better (provides a heat sink). The evaporation rate is so low, 2 quarts of water will last all night no problem, you shouldn't run out at a dome temp of 225F to 275F.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Welcome to the site.  I found it best to hit the temp first in an empty grill... so lets say you want to hold 250 my approach would be to:

1) Light the grill, top and bottom vent wide open until seeing 250f on the dial
    2) install the deflector and grill, close the bottom vent to 2 fingers width 
    3) as the temp starts to recover back to 250 start closing the top vent .. using the regulator likely about 1/4" 
    4) add your food and like others said try not to open the dome if not needed 
  • @Mark_B_Good if your water pan evaporates while you are sleeping you are fahked. The temperature will spike and it will get ugly.  I don’t know of any people who consistently use water pans in the BGE.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I think making a good fire for long cooks is key. Lump placement helps. Clean it out and place some larger pieces in the bottom then place more pieces across to make some air space for ventilation. Then you can start putting smaller stuff in on top. The foundation is the most important part.
  • QDude
    @Mark_B_Good if your water pan evaporates while you are sleeping you are fahked. The temperature will spike and it will get ugly.  I don’t know of any people who consistently use water pans in the BGE.
    I agree.  The water pan isn't needed with the egg.  I think this is a carryover for some people who had cheap smokers that had a water pan.  The extra mass of water in the egg really serves no purpose other than to cause you to burn more lump.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Many thanks for the advice!  Very helpful!