Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg'd Deep Dish Pizza

Options
So- I finally did it.  After @casslong52 had got me started on baking pizzas in the egg, its been like operation warp speed to bake a deep dish pizza in the egg.

I started out by buying this pan on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MJM2R35/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While it was shipping, I started scouring the internet for deep dish pizza recipes.  I came across this recipe/instruction video, and followed it mostly with a few exceptions:
https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/deepdishpizza?rq=deep dish

I had to increase some of the ingredients, as he had made a 12" pizza, and the pan I had bought was 14".  Also, @casslong52 had shared this (below) pizza recipe, and we loved the garlic and oregano in the crust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU5pgqVV4QM

What I ended up with for the crust was (roughly): 3 1/4 c flour, 1/2 c yellow corn meal, 1 1/4 tsp salt, 1 Tbs sugar, 1 packet active yeast, 1 1/4 cup water, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar, 1 stick of butter (1/2 at first, then the other half mixed in after the dough had risen for about an hour) 2 Tbs oregano, 4 cloves of garlic.

After the dough had risen, I put about 1 1/2 pounds of raw Italian sausage on the dough, then a layer (8 0z) deli style provolone cheese, then a layer of deli style low moisture mozzarella (16 Oz), then topped with the Sam the Cooking guy sauce (above), with bunch of grated Parmesan and extra virgin olive oil on top and around the crust.  

Put it in the egg at 425 for about 30 minutes, and...

This thing was a monster!  Huge!  I broke a little sweat getting it out of the pan, but the integrity of the crust held it all together.

Will DEFINITELY do this again!  I think next time I'll put in 2 pounds of sausage, and probably a little more mozzarella.  Was hoping for a little bit of a better cheese stretch here, but I think I let it cool too long.  

Any other pointers for a fella getting started on this Chicagoan delicacy?

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks delicious!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • casslong52
    Options
    Strong work buddy!
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Awesome looking pie. Thanks for posting, have pizza lined up for this week and may go deep dish after seeing this.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Looks awesome. I put a thin layer of Boar’s Head Pepperoni on top of the sausage on mine. Also some fresh basil on top is good. I didn’t read your recipe,....so if I am off base I’m sorry.

I usually put fresh garlic in my pie. Never done so in the crust. Appreciate the idea. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow