Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Chefs table - BBQ

Watched episode one last night on tootsie at snows BBQ.  Excellent of course like other Chef’s Table episodes.  
Mankato, MN - LBGE

Comments

  • I watched one and three and agree, it was great.
  • Hoster05Hoster05 Posts: 225
    I watched one and three and agree, it was great.
    I watched episode two with a cup of coffee this morning.  Another excellent episode.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 4,577
    I watched episode 1 last night too. Great start! Makes me want to catch a flight and experience Snow's and meet Tootsie.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

  • HotchHotch Posts: 3,546
    ColtsFan said:
    I watched episode 1 last night too. Great start! Makes me want to catch a flight and experience Snow's and meet Tootsie.
    Once they open back up you should!
    Get there early for the Pork Steak as it is tends to be the first to sell out!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 3,245
    Hotch said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I watched episode 1 last night too. Great start! Makes me want to catch a flight and experience Snow's and meet Tootsie.
    Once they open back up you should!
    Get there early for the Pork Steak as it is tends to be the first to sell out!

    Is that the big slice of butt that she cooks for a couple of hours over the open flame?  I saw that on food network, and it looks awesome.  I sliced off a couple from the last butt I bought and put them in the freezer.  I'm going to try that raised on the egg and see how it goes.
    NOLA
  • buzd504 said:
    Hotch said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I watched episode 1 last night too. Great start! Makes me want to catch a flight and experience Snow's and meet Tootsie.
    Once they open back up you should!
    Get there early for the Pork Steak as it is tends to be the first to sell out!

    Is that the big slice of butt that she cooks for a couple of hours over the open flame?  I saw that on food network, and it looks awesome.  I sliced off a couple from the last butt I bought and put them in the freezer.  I'm going to try that raised on the egg and see how it goes.
    That’s the one 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX
  • Great series.  Watched episode 3 last night of Rodney cooking whole hogs.  
    Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • aemaem Posts: 145
    Watched Episode 1 & 2 so far.  Never been to Lexington but drive by City Meat Market several times a year.  Now that I know the history I'll smile when I pass by.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 22,046
    I have watched episodes 1-3 so far.  I was hoping for more of the cooking processes and insights but get the human interest angle as that is what will draw the audience.
    Around 15 months ago I went on a brisket bender thru Central Texas and made it a point to hit Snow's.  Actually spent a few minutes talking with Tootsie and then the brisket pit master.  Stayed in Giddings the night before and had brisket at City Market as well.  What a great road trip.  
    My favorite is the Lennox Hastie segment.  He has pushed the envelope well outside the box.  Would be quite a treat to hit up his place in Sydney.  (One can dream...)
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,558
    lousubcap said:
    I have watched episodes 1-3 so far.  I was hoping for more of the cooking processes and insights but get the human interest angle as that is what will draw the audience.
    Around 15 months ago I went on a brisket bender thru Central Texas and made it a point to hit Snow's.  Actually spent a few minutes talking with Tootsie and then the brisket pit master.  Stayed in Giddings the night before and had brisket at City Market as well.  What a great road trip.  
    My favorite is the Lennox Hastie segment.  He has pushed the envelope well outside the box.  Would be quite a treat to hit up his place in Sydney.  (One can dream...)
    That sounds like a great road trip cap. I watched the Tootsie episode tonight with swmbo - she loved tootsie enough that a may be able to pull off a Texas bbq roadtrip. 
    Memphis, TN 

    LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 22,046
    @mEGG_My_Day - when you get to the planning stages let me know as I will send you my notes from the above trip.  The key to pulling it together is the "on the ground" suggestions provided by @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • LitLit Posts: 8,318
    Its funny in episode 2 the guy that cooks everything on fire says he failed if he can see grill marks on meat. Its so funny how much people spend to try to get grill marks on different cast iron grates and what not. 
  • Hoster05Hoster05 Posts: 225
    Lit said:
    Its funny in episode 2 the guy that cooks everything on fire says he failed if he can see grill marks on meat. Its so funny how much people spend to try to get grill marks on different cast iron grates and what not. 
    I think I liked that episode the best.  200 plus day dry aged beef looked incredible.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,558
    lousubcap said:
    @mEGG_My_Day - when you get to the planning stages let me know as I will send you my notes from the above trip.  The key to pulling it together is the "on the ground" suggestions provided by @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  
    Thanks @lousubcap - I will PM when the time comes.  Probably after the covid dies down a bit (hopefully). 
    Memphis, TN 

    LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • TEXASBGE2018TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 2,828
    edited September 10
    Finished the season  episodes 1&3 were my favorites. Rodney Scott is a bada$$


    Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

  • DondgcDondgc Posts: 614
    I tried to tried to watch episode 1 last night. I found it dark and slow. After 15 minutes I gave up. Looks like I’m in a minority of 1 with that opinion. 
    New Orleans LA
  • TEXASBGE2018TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 2,828
    I think that’s just the shooting style of Chefs Table. “Artistic and Serious” i just shrug it off because the cinematography is exceptional and I find the stories interesting


    Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

  • I've only watched the first episode but I was underwhelmed after reading all the reviews.  It was good enough that I'll watch the rest but I wasn't overly impressed.  I'm also not impressed by some of the youtube channels that people recommend.  Shaky camera action or horrible audio and I'm out.  
  • I live about 5 blocks from Rodney Scott's... Amazing BBQ. I need him to show me if I can whole hog on my XXL
  • JohnEggGioJohnEggGio Posts: 1,239
    I just watched episode 1 and I really enjoyed it.  Tootsie is quite an inspiration.  For me, the show seemed to fill a bit of the void left by Anthony Bourdain.  Looking forward to my next viewing.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • I'm really enjoying it.  I love the personal stories.  I have to get to Rodney Scott's now.  
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

    Living large in the 919
  • GregWGregW Posts: 2,252
    Chssmoker said:
    I live about 5 blocks from Rodney Scott's... Amazing BBQ. I need him to show me if I can whole hog on my XXL
    Which location are you near? My office is close to the location in Birmingham Alabama. The few times I have had lunch there, the BBQ is decidedly subpar.
    Birmingham, AL
  • bicktravbicktrav Posts: 626
    Loved the series. The Tootsie/Snow's BBQ episode was probably my favorite, but they were all good.
    Southern California
  • It was an interesting series for sure.    While Snow's isn't bad by any means, I think it was the Tootsie story that drove it.   There are several other BBQ shops in our Texas Hill Country I prefer.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.