Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New user

Options
So far everything I've grilled has been perfect because you guys showed me how. I'm still learning how to set temps.

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Welcome
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    There is a learning curve, but you'll get there. Welcome aboard!
    Stillwater, MN
  • bradleya123
    Options
    Welcome Aboard!!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Welcome to the party pal!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    Oh lord. A Tennessee Titans fan 😂

Kidding of course. Welcome aboard. Lots of good people here
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Keep that wallet handy, welcome aboard!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Ask away with any questions you have-you will likely get several varied responses, all of which will work.  Pick one, run with it then decide how to move forward.  
    And you should pay attention to @bubbajack's above post.  This place can suck your thoughts of discretionary (or any other kind) income dry in a heart-beat.  All for a good cause.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Practice!  Practice!  Practice!   The egg is quite forgiving.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

The pics on this thread may get you in the ballpark.  Experience will get you the rest of the way.

I found it by searching "vent settings"

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    enjoy the madness!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Welcome to the asylum.
    Enjoy. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Welcome. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The least expensive aspect of the Big Green Egg is the initial purchase.

It is everything else that comes next, is the real cost.

Freezers, food savers, chef's knives, butcher paper, foil pans, foil rolls, coolers, bigger freezer becsuse you ran out of room on the small one you thought you needed, lump charcoal, better lump charcoal, next Big Green Egg, remodeled kitchen to hold your Big Green Egg stuff and to make cooking on the Big Green Egg easier, landscaping, outdoor kitchen, outdoor lighting, sound systems, patio furniture, new patio furniture to go with your now maxed out super cool outdoor kitchen, wine fridge, bigger wine fridge, wine cellar, bourbon, aftermarket accessories, food slicers, and the list never ends.

You will soon discover saving for retirement is absolutely in the way of this lifestyle, really nobody needs to retire before 86 anyway, and college tuition for your children was never a great idea either.

Have fun, great folks in the forum. Having a Big Green Egg is worth it.

Glad you are here.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Welcome.

Re: temps, i) they are slow to develop; don’t chase them, ii) catch them on the way up, and iii) realize that they will fluctuate and then stabilize with the addition of food. 

Happy Egging!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I have to say first welcome and trust me we are all still learning. Yes all of us have that one thing we cook that is always flawless. We also challenge ourselves to go outside our comfort zone or perfect a certain cook that was just ok. That's why I love this group so creative and funny as hell.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL