Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love for Kick Ash

Options

Comments

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Thanks, great story.  Love the baskets and can,  I only wish they would create a small can.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I've bought a dozen.  Great product, even better story.  Thanks for posting it.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Very cool story. I probably own more BGE accessories that I might not purchase again, but the KAB is one I wouldn't want to be without.
    Stillwater, MN
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    I love my Large and Small KAB! Both of them however are the old style steel and are rusting. BUT when I think these finally have reached the rust bucket death point you can bet I’ll be buying the stainless steel ones! 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Met Chad and his wife at a couple Eggfests. Awesome people, great product!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,980
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I didn’t know that KAB was from Neenah. That was my hometown paper when we lived up there (appleton). They wrote on our store/restaurant  quite a bit as well. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.  I had never heard of the Kick Ash Can before.  I don't have the KAB but thinking it might be worth it with the Can to ease clean out.  Does taking out the stock fire grate and replacing with the KAB significantly impact temp control?
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    The KAB is a game changer.  Every time I pull it up and shake it and look directly in firebox to see how much ash is there I thank those guys.  With the grate it was always a guess, now I know every time when its time to change.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,863
    Options
    I guess I'm just ignorant.  Can someone please explain why the KAB is so effective?  Do you use it on top of the stock charcoal grate?  Or do you remove that grate and put the basket in the very bottom of the egg?  

I guess I've never really had issues with airflow and I don't mind stirring the coals before every cook and using the BGE ash tool to scrape out the ash every 5 cooks or so.

Getting to my reason for current curiosity - I recently acquired a XXL (was that out loud?) and I'm wondering if there is a role for a KAB - or any other product, I'm open to suggestions - for concentrating the coals for smaller cooks.  If so, what size would be appropriate - maybe the KAB for a medium or a large?

Thanks in advance for any input.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,582
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Did they mention how Chad got screwed by a kamado company  :s
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,044
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I guess I'm just ignorant.  Can someone please explain why the KAB is so effective?  Do you use it on top of the stock charcoal grate?  Or do you remove that grate and put the basket in the very bottom of the egg?  

I guess I've never really had issues with airflow and I don't mind stirring the coals before every cook and using the BGE ash tool to scrape out the ash every 5 cooks or so.

Getting to my reason for current curiosity - I recently acquired a XXL (was that out loud?) and I'm wondering if there is a role for a KAB - or any other product, I'm open to suggestions - for concentrating the coals for smaller cooks.  If so, what size would be appropriate - maybe the KAB for a medium or a large?

I've found my Small air flow works better with the KAB and no fire grate.

My Large doesn't make much of a difference with the KAB and fire grate. So I keep the fire grate in place with the KAB. It makes clean up easier and it doesn't clog up the holes in the fire grate. 

I'm not sure if the air flow on the XL and up would help much with a KAB as the holes in the grates are bigger. They would help out with clean up though.

My main reason for my large and small was for air flow and clean up. I like how you can remove all the lump in seconds to clean up ash. I can see what I'm scoping out from above with no lump in the way when using the ash tool. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,863
    Options
    Thanks @WeberWho.  I probably haven't had issues because I've only had the XL.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I think you'll get a mix of people leaving the charcoal grate in or out. I leave mine in, but not really sure why or that it makes a difference. I have a large. For me, it makes clean up easier and it does make a difference in better/more consistent air flow. I think the smaller the BGE, the more important it would be to have something like a KAB.
    Stillwater, MN
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I think you'll get a mix of people leaving the charcoal grate in or out. I leave mine in, but not really sure why or that it makes a difference. I have a large. For me, it makes clean up easier and it does make a difference in better/more consistent air flow. I think the smaller the BGE, the more important it would be to have something like a KAB.
    I have a large and an XL. No need on the XL as the grate provides good airflow. On the large I need to clean it out much more often for optimum air flow.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    My original grate in the LBGE was cracked and slowly going to die.  So since I was going to have to replace the cost delta wasnt much to get the KAB and I pulled the grate.

Airflow is Airflow at the grate or KAB.  I notice more changes in flow with the amount of heat deflection or things on the grate.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I’ve got to believe you would burn through a whole lot of lump on a XXL using a KAB. That said, love using one on my mini max. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Is there anyone here with an XL who uses the KAB?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,734
    Options
    I have both the KAB and can, love them both.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I have had a KAB in my XL for a few years. I still keep the stock charcoal grate in, as this was the suggestion from the manufacturer, I believe because of the large area that needed support. I have no issue with airflow, and it sure makes shaking the ashes off a lot easier. I only pull the charcoal grate every month or so to clean out what falls through. The XL can take a lot of ash in the bottom.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • kmac1036
    Options
    I think my Dad got one of the original baskets, I got it still with his Egg. Didn't know they had the can now! The basket is a must have.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I guess I've never really had issues with airflow and I don't mind stirring the coals 
    Brother Horn, my experience as well. I certainly understand that people enjoy accessories and cool gadgets. Nothing wrong with that at all. But the Kick Ash basket and Smokeware cap seemed to solve a problem that I never encountered. Thus I still use the Daisy Wheel and a High Q grate. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Is Kick Ash a better product that similar baskets at cheaper prices?  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,044
    Options
    500 said:

Unfortunately I don't think the KAB is made in the United States anymore either. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DavidCrumpton
    Options
    I love supporting companies like Kick Ash! I didn't know their story and I am glad to run their products in all three of my eggs!!!!!. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    500 said:
    Yes, it's a higher quality stainless steel than the cheapies you see on Amazon.  They have been through several designs making them stronger and better over the years.  The owner is a product engineer.  They also come with a warranty--others do not.