Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first crack at ABTs

Options
Disclosure: cooked them in my Bradley Smoker at 235 for 2:30. Since this was an experimental run, and my wife doesn't like anything hot, I soaked the de-seeded and de-veined halved jalapeno in water for an hour. It was very mild.  Filled it with a little pulled pork, topped with onion and chive sour cream, grated parm, sprinkled taco seasoning, then wrapped.  Made it so the end of the wrap was on the bottom; toothpick required. Cooked on frog mats. Was most delicious. I should have flipped them  over towards the end to crisp up the bottoms. Having the boys over tomm night for a little get together, and will do a large batch. Thanks for looking. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Picture perfect!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Those look spot on 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Those look great!

I've never made ABTs, but I understand they can be labor intensive. About 10 years ago, Mainegg from the old forum (Julie) posted this about an ABT dip that sounded like it tasted the same and was much easier to make. It also stretches the ingredients to serve more people. Haven't tried this either, but it looks and sounds great. One of these days I'll get around to it.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/856824/abt-dip

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Those look great!

I've never made ABTs, but I understand they can be labor intensive. About 10 years ago, Mainegg from the old forum (Julie) posted this about an ABT dip that sounded like it tasted the same and was much easier to make. It also stretches the ingredients to serve more people. Haven't tried this either, but it looks and sounds great. One of these days I'll get around to it.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/856824/abt-dip

labor intensive the first few attempts. cut all the peppers in half leaving the stems. scrape with a spoon and rinse, dont be too concerned with cleaning them. wear gloves, wet the gloves and keep them wet, wet gloves dont stick to the cheese. fill them all with the wet gloves, easier than with a knife or spoon. cut thin bacon in half thats been warmed to room temp, it stretches easier, prestretch it and wrap tight, it shrinks back and theres no need for toothpicks. start them upside down to set and brown the cheese then flip to finish up the bacon.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Ok, I have to ask what does ABT stand for? Guessing the B is bacon.  Looks great.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    I have to admit that ABT's loaded with a chorizo and habanero cheese mix are my favorite breakfast food.  Great even when nuked.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Love me some ABTs, yours look awesome! 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Ok, I have to ask what does ABT stand for? Guessing the B is bacon.  Looks great.

Atomic Buffalo Turds ABTS - Jalapeno Popper Recipe - The Wolfe
    I never would have guessed. Thanks.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I grow jalapeños just for this lol.  Awesome on the egg and pretty forgiving.  If I'm lazy my air fryer makes quick work for a decent popper too. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Money!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Gonna have to make some now!!!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dude.
    Amazing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @hvhunter- nice cook right there.  What's the rig?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hvhunter
    hvhunter Posts: 88
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @hvhunter- nice cook right there.  What's the rig?
    It is a Bradley Original Smoker. Since I bought my egg, it is sued primarily for making smoked sausage. The concept of the Bradley is great, but in reality they are 'ok' at best. To make this device shine, you need to buy a digital controller for it; another $200. The heating element is a small 500w bulb. A lot of folks (including myself) modify theirs with a second element. My biggest complaint, is the recovery times. They claim you can smoke 20lbs of meat in it. Reality is if you put 20lb of meat in there, you'll be cooking for long time. If you preheat to 250 (the max), and put a 7 lb butt in there, it takes hours to recover back to 250. Yes, I've made great ribs, butts, etc in there, along with many pounds of smoked sausage. But I wouldn't recommend it. They are also known for the self feeding smoker which is a nice feature. Until you have to buy the smoking pucks, which are ridiculously priced. I modified mine so it uses an amazin tube instead. Also, the material used is very flimsy. If Bradely made them beefier, with a decent heating element, they'd have a winner. 

A couple pics of the sausage I make with venison. 70% venison 30% jowl. 

• lousubcap
    Options
    @hvhunter - thanks for the follow-up.  Looks like you are maximizing that smoker.  Great sausage right there.