Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak - The perfect steak article

Options
EggNorth
EggNorth Posts: 1,535
I found this an interesting read on the perfect steak.   

I will be trying nutmeg in my steak spice next time to see if that make a positive difference, and will try and make some chimichurri.

Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Not going to register to read. Summary? 
    Boom
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    Interesting article, thanks for sharing.  No registration required for me to read.
    Cooking just by experience, no thermo or other gadgets, impressive.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Good article.  Thanks for posting.  I may add a little nutmeg to my steak rub next time.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Thanks for posting - it’s a lifelong learning process. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Interesting article, thanks for sharing.  No registration required for me to read.
    Weird, first time I clicked I got a pop-up saying register for free articles. Then I went back and worked

I do want to find out about that Argentinian chimichurri
    Boom
  • EggNorth
    Options
    Interesting, I did not have to register (just close the pop up) . Just an article of someone looking for the perfect steak in Argentina and France -  salt and pepper... and nutmeg for spice seems to have won the day.   Reverse Sear method.
    Dave
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    Reads like the Santa Maria Grill technique. On my near-term acquisition list as soon as I clear a few personal issues.  It will happen.  
    And I totally agree with @mEGG_My_Day regarding the life-long learning process.  He!! that's basic life 101 for me.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
    Good read thanks for sharing 
  • EggNorth
    edited July 2020
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Weird, first time I clicked I got a pop-up saying register for free articles. Then I went back and worked

I do want to find out about that Argentinian chimichurri
    I never heard of chimichuri before, always interested in the sauces for a meal.

‘This is a simple mix of paprika, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic, salt, vinegar, and oil. It's such a delicious explosion of flavor, I use hunks of steak to sop the glass dry.‘

Dave
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I've been to Tito's Secret Steakhouse (also Don Julio, actually), and both were incredible.
    NOLA
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Interesting, I did not have to register (just close the pop up) . Just an article of someone looking for the perfect steak in Argentina and France -  salt and pepper... and nutmeg for spice seems to have won the day.   Reverse Sear method.
    Since on my phone I didn't realize it was a pop up I could close out. And it didn't pop the second time
    Boom
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There is an Argentinian "food hut" in town. For the 1st few years, they were serving only empanadas w. chimichurri. The chimichurri recipe seems quite similar to theirs with one notable exception. They don't seem to use any ground paprika. Also,  theirs seems to have a grassy flavored olive oil base.

Very rich, and goes well w. all 5 empanada fillings.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I always loved the Argentinean steakhouses when traveling in Miami.  Great food, great service. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I am highly suspect of any recipe calling for dried herbs but especially Chimichurri. Chimi is made with parsley (and sometimes cilantro) and it's always fresh.

Try this is if you want to see what Chimi is supposed to really be:

Ingredients

• 1 cup (packed) fresh Italian parsley
      • 1/2 cup olive oil
      • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
      • 1/4 cup (packed) fresh cilantro
      • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
      • 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
      • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
      • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    I am highly suspect of any recipe calling for dried herbs but especially Chimichurri. Chimi is made with parsley (and sometimes cilantro) and it's always fresh.

Try this is if you want to see what Chimi is supposed to really be:

Ingredients

• 1 cup (packed) fresh Italian parsley
      • 1/2 cup olive oil
      • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
      • 1/4 cup (packed) fresh cilantro
      • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
      • 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
      • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
      • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Is that the stuff APL puts on his skirt steaks?  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I tried Mallmann's recipe once. Threw most of it away. Didn't care for it at all!

1 cup water

1 tbs. coarse salt

1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled

1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

1 cup fresh oregano leaves

2 tsp. crushed red- pepper flakes

1/4 cup red-wine vinegar

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Maybe I'll like this new recipe.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I tried Mallmann's recipe once. Threw most of it away. Didn't care for it at all!

1 cup water

1 tbs. coarse salt

1/4 cup red-wine vinegar

If you don't like that then you don't like Chimi. That's about as authentic as it gets.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Chimichurri is like hummus in that there are about a thousand variations. Among those chimi's are green versions and red versions. The red does not typically have fresh parsley or cilantro.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options

1 cup water

1 tbs. coarse salt

1/4 cup red-wine vinegar

Too much salt maybe?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2020
    Options

1 cup water

1 tbs. coarse salt

1/4 cup red-wine vinegar

That's hands down my favorite chimichurri recipe and my go to when doing the Argentinian open-fire cook type thing. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

1 cup water

1 tbs. coarse salt

1/4 cup red-wine vinegar

Too much salt maybe?
    I never use as much salt as these recipes call for. I probably used a tsp instead of a Tbls. Been a couple of years, don't remember. LOL,,, maybe that's why I didn't like. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I always thought I hated chimi. I gotta make my own without cilantro!! I just hate cilantro.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The recipes are from the 
    JULY-AUGUST 2019 issue of Milk Street.

The chimichurri recipe:

¾ cup grapeseed or other neutral oil
    ¼ cup sweet paprika
    ¼ cup red pepper flakes
    ¼ cup dried oregano
    2 medium garlic cloves, finely grated
    ½ cup balsamic vinegar
    Kosher salt

1. In a small saucepan over low, combine the oil, paprika, pepper flakes and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to bubble, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the garlic. Let cool to room temperature.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt, then stir until the salt dissolves. Slowly whisk in the cooled oil mixture.

The steak:

Kosher salt and ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg (from 2 whole nutmegs)
    2 teaspoons white sugar
    2 20-ounce strip steaks (each about 2 inches thick), patted dry
    2 tablespoons grapeseed or other neutral oil
    Chimichurri

Set a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet. In a small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons salt, 1 tablespoon pepper, the nutmeg and sugar. Measure out and reserve 2 teaspoons of the seasoning mixture, then rub the remainder onto all sides of the steaks, pressing it into the meat. Place the steaks on the prepared rack and refrigerate uncovered for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.

Heat the oven to 250°F with a rack in the middle position.

Place the baking sheet with the steaks in the oven and cook until the centers reach 110°F, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for up to 30 minutes.

In a 10- or 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high, heat the oil until barely smoking. Place the steaks in the skillet and cook, without moving them, until well browned, about 3 minutes. Using tongs, flip the steaks and cook until the second sides are well browned and the centers reach 120°F (for medium-rare), 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a large plate and let rest for 10 minutes. Alternatively, the steaks can be seared for the same time over direct heat on a very hot charcoal or gas grill with a well-oiled grate.

Transfer the steaks to a carving board and cut into thin slices. Place on a platter, pour on the accumulated juices and sprinkle with the reserved seasoning mixture. Drizzle with a few spoonfuls of chimichurri and serve with additional chimichurri on the side.

Tip: Don't use preground nutmeg. For best flavor, purchase whole nutmeg and grate it yourself. You could use a grater made specifically for nutmeg, but a fine wand-style grater also works well.
    Thanks mucho for posting this!  Ill try it!