Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoked Salmon

Options
I tried a new cold smoked salmon recipe a few days ago that I found on "thebbqbuddha.com" and the end result was much better than I expected!!!  It took a total of 4 days from beginning to end and I did alter the recipe just a little. I purchased a 3+ lb slab of sashimi grade salmon at Sam's Club.  The first step was to cure the fish with a 50/50 mix of brown sugar & coarse salt mixture.  I used 2 cups of each instead of the 2 1/2 cups the recipe called for. I also had to half my piece of salmon because it was too big and I didn't have a dish large enough to keep it whole.  I let the fish cure for the entire 48 hr since I altered the salt / sugar mix and I also soaked it twice in cold water for 30 min instead of just once. The next step was to leave it in the refrigerator overnight uncovered which I did. Since it's been soo hot during the day and it's recommend to cold smoke at cooler temps I decided to start my smoke at 10:30 pm and run it for 8 hrs (6:30 am). I also used a tray of ice with ice cream salt to cool the in side of my egg during this cold smoke. After the 8hr smoke I wrapped the two finished pieces of salmon in butcher paper and refrigerated overnight. After that last step I thin sliced some of the final product and WOW!!!!! (See photos) 

Brown Sugar / Salt Cure.

End of 48 hr Cure.

After 2x cold water soak 30 min each and overnight uncovered refrigeration.

A-Maze-N pellet smoker setup for cold smoking.

Ice tray in place to regulate temp inside dome.

Cold Smoking!!!

End of cold smoke and start of overnight butcher paper wrapped refrigeration.

Finally product!!! 

Vaccum sealed and portioned for individual serving sizes.

Comments