Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Where do my freedoms end and yours begin?

Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
Many promote freedom and inclusion until they disgaree with the outcome.

HOAs
VRBO
Air BnB

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    edited June 2020
    An HOA, that's the issue of the people who knowingly bought a home in one, if they converted an existing neighborhood to an HOA that is another issue...As far as short term rentals, they have their place  but do need regulation, in Ca the did away with Single Family Neighborhoods and allowed those homes to be converted up to 3 Units so the Short Term Rental people are snagging homes and what would be a SIngle Unit Long Term Rental can be a triplex with no minimum

Some areas like my county Jumped on top of it and are quickly regulating it, in the Incorporated Area they are Unregulated @ this point , hope that changes. 

One hose across from me is Averaging 30 Families a month , That's 30 new neighbors every 30 days , some with No Regard to our neighborhood 

I invested in my home 35 years ago and would not have done that knowing I would be next to a Hotel ( unless they have big B**bs)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Having dealt with this issue, in a money hungry tax heavy city, the government will always side with Tax revenue generating business vs. homeowner.

Tax revenue first, business second, private citizens third, or lower.

We are a capitalist society, the economy is America, as America is the economy. That is it.

Once you come to terms with that, then understanding where private citizens relate to business is much more clear.

We faced the same issues, numerous times, with people in the neighborhood going to hearings, and petitioning against it.

The business panel/planning commission went with business, 100% of the time. Decision was made immediately after the last word by the last person to present their case against. Less than 30 seconds, signed stamped and ratified.

Even worse, the city changed the zoning of the neighborhood to facilitate one house, bought by absentee owners, to appease the city requirements.

Your rights as a private property holder is basically paying your taxes to live in your municipality, and you are subject to property condemnation for the betterment of the city, and that is a broad and deep chasm for what qualifies.

Anytime it brings tax revenue greater than your portion which you pay, you lose. That is where your rights end.

If you are going through this, I feel for you sir.

You no longer have any control. HOA or otherwise.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,418
    Neighborhood established in the 1900’s. My house was built in 1908. We have no HOA. 250+ houses. If we establish one, that everyone agrees to, the property in question is grandfathered in. I’m facing a losing battle. I know this going in. I just can’t sit by and watch it happen. We’ll probably end up moving as a result. Why does occupancy tax (which is pennies) supersede my rights as a private citizen? VRBO and Air B&B do nothing to improve my city. They spend zero dollars. 
  • lkapigian
    It's counterintuitive , a broad brush law that allows a bit of additional tax revenue , people in those neugborhoods happen to own businesses that are leaving California in Droves ...gain $1.00 in revenue lose $5.00
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    YukonRon said:
    Having dealt with this issue, in a money hungry tax heavy city, the government will always side with Tax revenue generating business vs. homeowner.

We are a capitalist society, the economy is America, as America is the economy. That is it.

Once you come to terms with that, then understanding where private citizens relate to business is much more clear.

We faced the same issues, numerous times, with people in the neighborhood going to hearings, and petitioning against it.

The business panel/planning commission went with business, 100% of the time. Decision was made immediately after the last word by the last person to present their case against. Less than 30 seconds, signed stamped and ratified.

Even worse, the city changed the zoning of the neighborhood to facilitate one house, bought by absentee owners, to appease the city requirements.

Your rights as a private property holder is basically paying your taxes to live in your municipality, and you are subject to property condemnation for the betterment of the city, and that is a broad and deep chasm for what qualifies.

Anytime it brings tax revenue greater than your portion which you pay, you lose. That is where your rights end.

Unless the decision makers own the land.  You want to listen to something that will boil your blood?

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/11-a-good-walk-spoiled
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    YukonRon said:

Unless the decision makers own the land.  You want to listen to something that will boil your blood?

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/11-a-good-walk-spoiled
    The corruptness of government, at any level, public or private, is an automatic consideration with me and in this particular situation, it is a given.

A very long way to say I agree.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Is this limited to HOAs or does it include freedoms/responsibilities in general?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Next year's Butt Blast next door to @ColbyLang's house!
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • ColbyLang
    edited June 2020
    I welcome it! I’ll pay the $120 a night! We can destroy it and fear no one! Street can hold 50-60 cars, who cares what the neighbors say or want! No need to travel with BGE, I’ve got an XL and can easily get my hands on 2-3 more
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited June 2020
    I'm going to Hollywood to deface Bob Hope's star.

Why @Ozzie_Isaac did you have me listen to that? OMG that's infuriating!! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2020
    Botch said:
    Is this limited to HOAs or does it include freedoms/responsibilities in general?  
    Any and all, HOA was just priming the pump.  (Just no facemask discussions please)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607

30 seconds and I remembered listening to that one before.  Amazing.  Horrible.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Legume said:

30 seconds and I remembered listening to that one before.  Amazing.  Horrible.
    Mind blowing in the audacity.  I wish that were required listening for voters.  That is your corrupt government at work.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Botch said:
    Any and all, HOA was just priming the pump.  (Just no facemask discussions please)

Oh.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Maybe overly simplistic but if whatever you are saying or doing prohibits another person from saying or doing what they wish or puts another person at risk in any way. That’s my line.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    Maybe overly simplistic but if whatever you are saying or doing prohibits another person from saying or doing what they wish or puts another person at risk in any way. That’s my line.
    So as long as it's not risky you are ok with your Freedom and Rights being infringed upon ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    lkapigian said:
    So as long as it's not risky you are ok with your Freedom and Rights being infringed upon ?

No, I’m not ok with that.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Apparently The Eyes of Texas is offensive now because some guys used to sing it while dressed like the current Governor of the Capital of the Confederacy.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColbyLang
    My issue is not a right of Freedoms. Mine is a zoning issue. You’re free to do what you want to, so long as it’s legal and doesn’t impose on the freedoms I have. Believe in God, or be an Atheist, I don’t care. Vote red, vote blue don’t care. I don’t care where you send your kids to school. You be you. When you ruin my quiet neighborhood behind $120 a night, then I have an issue. When I now have to worry about the safety of my children, I have an issue. Your “freedoms” will not supersede mine.