Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Does anyone have any type pizza oven

jdMyersjdMyers Posts: 291
I know this is an egg forum.  But does anyone have a separate wood burning pizza oven oven or experience with one?.  Looking for some basic answers.

If its a countertopl larger model, cN they set directly on granite if they have their own feet and the oven is a couple inches elevated?

Any tios on size or types of wood to use?

Is the metal wood separater metal shield or wood keeper neccessary?

Is the mini anvil the holds wood in the air neccessary?

Any ither tips?

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 21,357
    Is the Pope Catholic??  Does a hobby horse have a hickory d!ck?  Said another way, give the search function here a look as there are many who have stand-alone pizza ovens and are more than willing to offer help and insights.  FWIW-
    Likely better insights than on a pizza oven forum but that is just a guess.  
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here; L&S BGE's, PBC, Lang 36; burnin wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • jdMyersjdMyers Posts: 291
    Thanks.  I have searched but what im finding left me amis. 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 5,153
    edited May 21
    I have a dedicated woodfired oven. Do you have questions about that or about table top models like the Roccbox?

There are folks here with both kinds of pizza ovens. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. 
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
    Is yours an all brick model or one of the stainless steel type.  Im looking at fuller sized not oonie etc.  I was originally looking at the Portuguese refractory brick 1000 lbs type but being in ohio and the potential for moisture cracks made me hesitate.  The forno bravo or alfa series sized can they set on granite with their included metal feet
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 5,153

It’s a Forno Bravo Casa 90. It’s refractory cement. I didn’t have the patience (or skill) to make mine from bricks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. 
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 2,236
    Ive been eyeballing the Fontana line of stainless countertop ovens. 
    These are much larger than the Oonis etc. There’s a member here who has one and raves about it. 

https://www.fontanaforniusa.com/collections/outdoor-pizza-ovens

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
    The forno brava lisboa is what i was looking at.  Ohio westher 4 season in same day and uncovered oushed towards a stainless steel one.  I coulndt find answers on how often the chrack filler touch upnwouod be needed and keeping it dried out would be a nitemare.  But man i love  the look of that style.  Looked and the fontana line, cant get it till august.
    Columbus, Ohio
    So i pulled  the plug on a alfa 4 pizze.  Got a discount, free shipping and no taxes from Illinois.  Now to find a cover.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • TEXASBGE2018TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 2,687
    edited May 21
    Well that was a quick decision. Just for input I have an all metal Bollore from pizza party but they aren’t available in the the US anymore

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 3,025
    Sweet, keep us updated.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
    Ive been pondering it for a whole season.  1st responder discount and next day free delivery with no tax made the deciding factor.  I really wanted the fonro Bellagio but end of august wait
    Columbus, Ohio
    What kind  of wood?  Ash ok?  
    Columbus, Ohio
    Use it while you can ash will be impossible to find around here in the next few years
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
    Good deal have a ton of it.  Just have to split the split wood.  Learnin...  thank you so much for the help
    Columbus, Ohio
    South of Columbus, Ohio.