Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone have any type pizza oven

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
I know this is an egg forum.  But does anyone have a separate wood burning pizza oven oven or experience with one?.  Looking for some basic answers.

If its a countertopl larger model, cN they set directly on granite if they have their own feet and the oven is a couple inches elevated?

Any tios on size or types of wood to use?

Is the metal wood separater metal shield or wood keeper neccessary?

Is the mini anvil the holds wood in the air neccessary?

Any ither tips?

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Is the Pope Catholic??  Does a hobby horse have a hickory d!ck?  Said another way, give the search function here a look as there are many who have stand-alone pizza ovens and are more than willing to offer help and insights.  FWIW-
    Likely better insights than on a pizza oven forum but that is just a guess.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Thanks.  I have searched but what im finding left me amis. 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I have a dedicated woodfired oven. Do you have questions about that or about table top models like the Roccbox?

There are folks here with both kinds of pizza ovens. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Is yours an all brick model or one of the stainless steel type.  Im looking at fuller sized not oonie etc.  I was originally looking at the Portuguese refractory brick 1000 lbs type but being in ohio and the potential for moisture cracks made me hesitate.  The forno bravo or alfa series sized can they set on granite with their included metal feet
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options

It’s a Forno Bravo Casa 90. It’s refractory cement. I didn’t have the patience (or skill) to make mine from bricks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Ive been eyeballing the Fontana line of stainless countertop ovens. 
    These are much larger than the Oonis etc. There’s a member here who has one and raves about it. 

https://www.fontanaforniusa.com/collections/outdoor-pizza-ovens

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jdMyers
    Options
    The forno brava lisboa is what i was looking at.  Ohio westher 4 season in same day and uncovered oushed towards a stainless steel one.  I coulndt find answers on how often the chrack filler touch upnwouod be needed and keeping it dried out would be a nitemare.  But man i love  the look of that style.  Looked and the fontana line, cant get it till august.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    So i pulled  the plug on a alfa 4 pizze.  Got a discount, free shipping and no taxes from Illinois.  Now to find a cover.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Well that was a quick decision. Just for input I have an all metal Bollore from pizza party but they aren’t available in the the US anymore

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    Options
    Sweet, keep us updated.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• jdMyers
    Options
    Ive been pondering it for a whole season.  1st responder discount and next day free delivery with no tax made the deciding factor.  I really wanted the fonro Bellagio but end of august wait
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    What kind  of wood?  Ash ok?  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Use it while you can ash will be impossible to find around here in the next few years
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• jdMyers
    Options
    Good deal have a ton of it.  Just have to split the split wood.  Learnin...  thank you so much for the help
    Columbus, Ohio
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Resurrecting this thread to post a link to an article that may be of interest to those looking to build a pizza oven on a low budget:
    https://digestthis.news/how-to-build-an-outdoor-brick-pizza-oven-for-50/  Just playing "frictionless conduit" here.  No endorsement.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Resurrecting this thread to post a link to an article that may be of interest to those looking to build a pizza oven on a low budget:
    https://digestthis.news/how-to-build-an-outdoor-brick-pizza-oven-for-50/  Just playing "frictionless conduit" here.  No endorsement.  
    the blow job at the 0:35 mark works like a charm, trust me! I also use a copper pipe to blow off burnt flour from the oven floor!
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Excuse me?

as he frantically scans to the 0:35 mark
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    https://digestthis.news/how-to-build-an-outdoor-brick-pizza-oven-for-50/  Just playing "frictionless conduit"
    Mind blown!  Thank you.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    I know this is an egg forum.  But does anyone have a separate wood burning pizza oven oven or experience with one?.  Looking for some basic answers.

If its a countertopl larger model, cN they set directly on granite if they have their own feet and the oven is a couple inches elevated?

Any tios on size or types of wood to use?

Is the metal wood separater metal shield or wood keeper neccessary?

Is the mini anvil the holds wood in the air neccessary?

Any ither tips?

I do ... will post a picture in a bit.
    To answer your questions:

I put mine directly on a stone base (which I built) ... didn't even cut the stones, just stacked them and PL'd them together.

I generally use 14" wood, but anything from 12" to 16" is okay. I think the sweet spot is 12" to 14" because you can tuck it in one corner and have a lot of surface area to cook pizzas.  I generally put in 3 pieces of wood, one on each side, spaced about 4" apart, and one on top of those two pieces. I put in some kindle wood and a starter in between the two pieces 4" apart, and light her up. Doesn't take long to heat up.

You don't need a separator ... but get yourself a pizza stone scrapper and brush ... that will keep the cooking surface clean.

You don't need the wood in the air ... just straight on the surface, pushed into one corner.

Prepare your dough directly on wooden pizza paddle peel ... use LOTS of flour or corn meal under it so it slides off easy ... otherwise it's a disaster, even if only a 1/2" area sticks ... it bunches up when you try and slide it off. You'll definitely mess one up, it happens ... then you'll know.  I normally use at least 2 pizza peels ... one to feed into the oven, while the 2nd pizza is being prepared (by my wife).  Here's a good one.

https://www.tigerchef.com/winco-wpp-2042-wooden-pizza-peel-20-x-21-blade-42-ol-1.html

Do you have a steel pizza peel? Once I put the pizza in the oven off the wooden pizza peel (which I then hand back to my wife to make the next pizza on), I then use a steel pizza peel to turn the pizza in the oven.  It's important to turn that pizza or you will burn one side.  Also when you put it in, at first don't put the pizza in too deep because it can be difficult to handle until you get the wrist action right .... then you'll be turning them with your eyes closed. Get a steel peel with a LONG handle, at least 30" long handle, otherwise you'll burn your arms ... and you shouldn't need to wear gloves to use the peel. Something like this:

https://rampiniequipment.com/index.php/product/professional-stainless-steel-120-cm-pizza-peel/

Get yourself at least 2 stainless steel round serving pizza trays (mine are probably 20" to 24" round) and use a long rocker cutter like this to cut them directly on the tray.

https://www.crateandbarrel.ca/rocker-pizza-cutter/s223268

If the oven is hot enough, the first pizza will take less than 1 minute to cook. You'll need to turn it every 15 to 20 seconds ... just keep a close eye on it, when you see the top bubbling ... start turning to avoid burning.  Check the bottom, and you will see it's ready when it turns from white to brown.

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Here's a picture of my pizza oven.

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!