Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Stop spending money on wood chunks

ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 4,189

I bought this because I ordered a Santa Maria and was looking for a way to get smaller splits with out chopping off a toe or getting a mechanical item that would need maintenance.

it makes making chips for a Kamado easy too. Never waste money buying chunks again!
XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, BlueStar 60" Range

Comments

• HotchHotch Posts: 3,522
    I have the XL. Mostly for my Shirley. 

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 8,112
    Nice!

I found this little guy off Craigslist. I've put this thing through its paces. Plugs into the wall. Far from what a full size version can do but I'm surprised at times what this thing can split. I split a little over a cord with it the past few weekends. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,486
    I like the idea of this just for kindling for my firepit.  Sure would save on the cost of fat wood. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 20,329
    edited May 18
    I’ve had my eye on this for the kbq. I had it in my cart and the saw this. I may just get both. https://youtu.be/N1FYqrCVZ9Y

for those who don’t want to watch a video the “this” I am referring to is a drill bit that splits logs. Looks pretty cool in the video. Anyone ever use one?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX
  • BotchBotch Posts: 9,661
    Real Men wear steel-toed shoes.  

:tongue:   ;)  
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

I thought for sure your video was going to be the stickler.

Skip to 8 minutes
    LBGE, MiniMax - 17, 22, and 36"Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,486
    kl8ton said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Skip to 8 minutes
    This looks like a Darwin Award nomination about to happen.  I wouldn’t get anywhere near that contraption.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 4,205
    kl8ton said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Skip to 8 minutes
    This looks like a Darwin Award nomination about to happen.  I wouldn’t get anywhere near that contraption.
    I thought it was going to be a clip from the Red Green Show.
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 2,236
    Botch said:
    Real Men wear steel-toed shoes.  

:tongue:   ;)  

Real men swing an axe in flip-flops. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 14,494
    That's nuthin'. Wait til you see this guy...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 4,189
    edited May 19
    I really like it. Its going to be great for my santa maria. I get my logs pretty much already ready for my Shirley.   I was really excited when I figured out how easy it was to get chunks or even chips. I still would occasionally buy a bag of fruit a wood but not anymore. I'll save the cost in the first year.

XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, BlueStar 60" Range
  • JustBugginJustBuggin Posts: 50

That is absolutely terrifying to watch!
  • ryanttryantt Posts: 2,273

I kept waiting for someone to yell out in pain.  Redneck innovation at its finest.  Yikes 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2
    Massillon Ohio 
    Check out Chef Norah Grace on Instagram @the_buckeye_bbq
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 20,329
    kl8ton said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Skip to 8 minutes
    I have been thinking way too small. Anyone have a ‘92 civic for sale? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX
  • jdMyersjdMyers Posts: 292
    I was looking at a 5 ton splitter.  Harbor freight has one as well

olots.com/5-ton-horizontal-electric-hydraulic-log-splitter-120v-2hp-ul-listed-hiyard-lsp5t-52.html?cid=9952931480&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzZj2BRDVARIsABs3l9I335DWMeCNAgX86xBsnyDTFeNXxbm4pDjjjhWhTKRGC6Yo0cyfzUsaAgo0EALw_wcB
    Columbus, Ohio