Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRFPorkBellyCoronavirusQuarantineBaconProject

Options
Let the games begin. 9.8# monster, cut into three 3# slabs. One little piggy got the maple treatment, one little piggie got Asian, and one got pepper and coffee rub. Calculations say 8.4 days in the wet cure and then I’ll cold smoke them in my BGE/mailbox rig. I don’t expect to eat and share them before we’re back to some semblance of normalcy — counting on this project to soften the blow of more voluntary (and state mandated) house arrest while we try to ride out this storm.  And I’m just fine with that.  I’m counting my blessings, painfully aware of how fortunate I am to be busying myself with this project rather than facing the horrible suffering so many are confronting. 

Stay home, stay safe, stay healthy!  (And egg on!)

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Following this, Egg on for sure!!!!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    You had me at "Bacon"
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    This has the makings of greatness- the side view of the cut belly looks awesome. 

Thanks for sharing and love the idea of 3 different cures. Can’t wait for the finish.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    Options
    Following also.  Great looking slabs.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Related - if you've ever made pork belly burnt ends using this from SRF - there really is no comparison.  I've found they come out miles better than say the pork bellies from Costco.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Related - if you've ever made pork belly burnt ends using this from SRF - there really is no comparison.  I've found they come out miles better than say the pork bellies from Costco.  
    Never tried pork belly burnt ends . . . like everything SRF, I bet it's incredible.  I've got another slab in the freezer, so now that I know, I'll reserve some of that for another tasty project!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing - here's a link to a recipe that is quite popular:
    https://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/  
    And a thread with a slight tweak:
    Pork Belly Burnt Ends-Malcom Reed with @Sea2Ski's adaptation  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    3 big piggies out of fhe cure. One piggy got pepper, one piggy got togarashi, and maple piggy got none. Resting now before cold smoking (hopefully tmw). 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    SRF has the best pork bellies I’ve found anywhere. Perfect for bacon!
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Into the box go the piggies. Got a beautiful day for it. And it’s already beer o’clock!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This is awesome. Those bellies look fantastic. Love the mailbox. Makes me happy every time i see it 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Sliced and sealed.  Sampled some ends and it’s pretty good. Pretty, pretty good!  Brunch tmw will be the test. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Looks awesome.  Looking forward to the report after brunch.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Options
    Great knife skills right there.  Could be epic!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    Very nice!  How long did you let them cold smoke?
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    That’s some bad àss looking bacon!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you prefer longer slices you can get the belly very cold (semi frozen) roll it up and slice it on your slicer. I have a 10” slicer and can cut full belly slices off using that method. Keeping it really cold keeps the slices uniform thickness. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And I love that mailbox more than I should. I know It’s weird but I can’t help it. 
  • Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    Options
    Some nice looking bacon. Congrats.  Great smoking set up also.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Totally amazing cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    If you prefer longer slices you can get the belly very cold (semi frozen) roll it up and slice it on your slicer. I have a 10” slicer and can cut full belly slices off using that method. Keeping it really cold keeps the slices uniform thickness. 
    That is really helpful advice. I firmed it up in the freezer for about 15 minutes and never thought of rolling the slabs. Figured I bought the wrong size slicer and needed to invest in a new one. 🤦‍♂️
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Brunch. Burp. Bacon worked out pretty, pretty good. (The short 🥓 length turned out to nicely cover the sweet potato candied jalapeño hash browns!)

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2020
    Options
    That is really helpful advice. I firmed it up in the freezer for about 15 minutes and never thought of rolling the slabs. Figured I bought the wrong size slicer and needed to invest in a new one. 🤦‍♂️
    These were all done on my 10” slicer with rolled up belly. They are like 12” long 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It’s really more like folded in half than rolling. Like a giant bacon taco. Mmmm bacon tacos. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Brunch. Burp. Bacon worked out pretty, pretty good. (The short 🥓 length turned out to nicely cover the sweet potato candied jalapeño hash browns!)

It looks fantastic. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great results right there.  I would crush that plate.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I cured a small belly and sliced it up tonight. 

• HendersonTRKing
    Options

Love it!  It’s like Masterclass!  Thx for the visual tip!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Love it!  It’s like Masterclass!  Thx for the visual tip!
    Very Cold belly + freshly sharp blade = success.