Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: sometimes it’s just destiny

Options

You can’t make this stuff up.  May he rest in peace, the glorious moron.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Boileregger
    Options
    Evolution works.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Now, if we can just save enough of last years' flu shot for the anti-vaxxers... :giggle:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Big pharma didn't want him to reveal the truth.  sabotage
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    edited February 2020
    Options
    And this is part of it all too, unfortunately.  Death as spectacle.

• johnnyp
    Options
    Idk, I take your point about rampant anti-intellectualism becoming normalized, but no one would be advocating for committing evil knievel or travis pastrana if their stunts had gone sideways.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Idk, I take your point about rampant anti-intellectualism becoming normalized, but no one would be advocating for committing evil knievel or travis pastrana if their stunts had gone sideways.  
    I would suggest Knievel and Pastrana are slightly different entities than Hughes, to put it mildly.  
  • johnnyp
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Their motivations are certainly pointing in different directions.  I am disappointing that his stunt was marketed by the Discovery family of networks.  I guess thats my fault for expecting more from the network that brought us Naked and Afraid.

My point being that television has been featuring daredevil stunts for decades.  Though, the tweet you posted advocated for him being committed.  Ultimately, I don't disagree with the sentiment.  Just pointing out that the tweet seems overly reactionary.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Gory visual media today, is only watching the coliseum slaughters and public beheadings, and hangings of the historic global civilization.

People have not lost their thirst for obscene violence, it is just now, it can be enjoyed on your favorite couch in the comforts of your home.

If some knucklehead wants to blow himself up, there will always be people standing in line, or dialing up the image to witness.

Destiny.

Indeed.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    supposedly the flat earth thing was part of his schtick, not sure he really believed it. 

Anyways, I agree, someone should have stopped him from strapping himself to a homemade rocket.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    blind99 said:
    supposedly the flat earth thing was part of his schtick, not sure he really believed it. 

Anyways, I agree, someone should have stopped him from strapping himself to a homemade rocket.
    That is probably true. One thing we know about him is, he didn't schtick the landing.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I wonder why he didn’t do a trial run with a lab rat in the cockpit?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think he tried, but he never could get the rat to tell him whether or not the Earth looked flat from 20,000 feet.   
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Apparently he has done multiple previous launches.  One in 2018 reached over 1,800ft.

The real stupid part was using a steam powered rocket for the first couple of thousand feet, then a balloon for the next 62 miles.  Would have been safer and easier to just use the balloon from the ground.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    “Glorious Moron” will be going in the grammar quiver

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    The real stupid part was using a steam powered rocket for the first couple of thousand feet, then a balloon for the next 62 miles.  Would have been safer and easier to just use the balloon from the ground.
    Huh.  Didn't a father help his daughter with a science project, attaching a video camera to a weather balloon, and it got high enough to see the Earth's curvature?  Had forgotten about that.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    Huh.  Didn't a father help his daughter with a science project, attaching a video camera to a weather balloon, and it got high enough to see the Earth's curvature?  Had forgotten about that.  

We had some interns send a bean bag chair into space on a weather balloon with several gopro cameras attached last summer. 110,000 feet! You could definitely see the curvature of the earth. I'll see if I can find the video and post it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Here she is at 100,000 feet:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX