Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Physics of Fried Rice - Too Nerdy Not to Share

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
edited February 2020 in EggHead Forum
I ran across this and just had to share it. And entire paper about the physics of fried rice.
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rsif.2019.0622

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywfBSnXklfk
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Amazingly interesting but now my brain hurts.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Interesting. 

I noticed they kept this in the realm of Newtonian (classical) mechanics.  But the observation at a quantum level for this experiment may have very swell split the universe an infinite number of times as per the "many worlds" theory if you subscribe to the duality of particle/wave theorems such as the Schrodinger equation and quantum superposition. 

Maybe in one of those many worlds, this forum is a much more friendlier place. ;)
    Options
    Interesting. 

I noticed they kept this in the realm of Newtonian (classical) mechanics.  But the observation at a quantum level for this experiment may have very swell split the universe an infinite number of times as per the "many worlds" theory if you subscribe to the duality of particle/wave theorems such as the Schrodinger equation and quantum superposition. 

Maybe in one of those many worlds, this forum is a much more friendlier place. ;)

In an infinity of universes, there is one that has an infinity of variants that are all the same, in a fractal self-similar fashion :)
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Interesting. 

Yeah, maybe - but the rice has wok hei in all of them
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So many words...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    now that i have the math all done, im willing to try this out in somebody elses kitchen.  not using apostrophes any more either =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    Options
    This is an interesting rabbit hole to explore.

A quote from the article:
    "Wok hei is a type of browning, enabled by the Maillard [4] chemical reaction that takes place only when the wok surface reaches 1000°C. Under such high temperatures, chefs [5] surmise that the rapid motion of the wok enables browning without burning."

Is there an optimal periodic function that achieves good Maillard reactions and browning without burning? Is this among the reasons that rotisserie chicken is so good? Maybe it's not about the "self basting" Is there an optimal rate of rotation for rotisserie? Is it protein dependent? Mass/volume dependent? Do we need a rheostat on our rotisseries? What about tacos Al Pastor?

Is there actually an optimal surface temperature for a rotating protein that helps achieve the desired results? What would be a good way to quantify it?

I can think of a few folks here that could tackle these questions. I'd be willing to sit back and watch with great interest while consuming adult beverages...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    So many words...
    TL;DR
    Get the wok stupid hot and flip faster...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Note that the "flip rate" is based on the trajectory of the rice grains. The trajectory of these rices grains is determined by Earth's gravitational field. So it might be worth noting that if you decide to make an intergalactic trip and find yourself making fried rice in a gravitational field with a magnitude that differs from Earth - you may need to adjust your flip rate in order to achieve wok hei.  
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The maillard reaction occurs between 280 and 330F according to the wiki on it.  I'm going to posit the wok temp of over 1000F doesn't mean the surface of the rice is over 1000F.  As the contact time is brief and moving, and the rice is a little papoose of water soaked starch and protein, the key is to keep the rice surface area somewhere in the sweet spot for the reaction.  The hot wok is fighting the cooling effect of the rice and the heat load of mass.  Stop flipping and you'll start burning.  Keep it in the air too much and it doesn't get hot enough.
    Options
    That said, I skimmed, but TL;DR on the article.  After all, I'm nola it all. ;)
    Options
    It must be pointed out that Wok-Tossing Exoskeletons WBAGNFARB.   B)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Well it's about damn time someone finally developed a mathematical model that successfully describes the wok tossing process!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SciAggie
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @nolaegghead  Yeah, this is just fun - I have a bit of down time today which is unusual and this is entertaining.
    The specific heat capacity of a rice grain and the time needed to transfer the appropriate amount of thermal energy would be a fun calculation. I guess 
    Q=mc(delta)T would do it...

@Botch I admit I was skimming by wok-tossing exoskeletons.... That would be cool on a t-shirt... I'm thinking about those little wok shaped droids from Star Wars flipping a wok over some kind of jet exhaust flame burner...

https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/mm/image?url=https://static.onecms.io/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2019/11/pit-droids-1-2000.jpg
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    This is an interesting rabbit hole to explore.

I can think of a few folks here that could tackle these questions. I'd be willing to sit back and watch with great interest while consuming adult beverages...

OK, that's it.  "Maillard Camp," your back yard.  Wok afficianados and chemists will work this out.  I'll come and supply WR DO and kind words of encouragement.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    How does this translate to my Blackstone?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Yawn.  This is a set of ODEs at best.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Party pooper... 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Ordinary diff equations are like cave drawings to John....that elitist bastardge

Oh look, it's the obnoxious self-important Professor that everyone tolerates (but no one actually likes) chiming in with something obnoxious and self-important.   
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Oh look, it's the obnoxious self-important Professor that everyone tolerates (but no one actually likes) chiming in with something obnoxious and self-important.   
    Lol.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    But, can physicists cook good fried rice?   :).  
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I can't run, barely walk, and don't wok.  Gave the article a fly-over and declared "TLDR" as a LEO cruise is gathering momentum.  I'm sure science wins out but the closer is "I'm too old to GAF!"  Have a great evening.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJHvSp9AKYg

Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJHvSp9AKYg

Job Interviews.  No wonder I couldn't get a better job, I wuz doing it rong.  :(

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Another download while working late in the lab. I enjoy fried rice. Or at least, I used to. I just stop in to Sopporo's for my fried rice fix, math is pretty simple:
    ($X/pound) + a dry Austrian riesling = yum.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky