Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Jerk Guinea Hen Chicken Skin Nachos - OT

Options
Preparing to watch my hometown team play in the AFC Championship had me craving nachos.  I wanted to try something different and this approach allowed me to purge two more items from my freezer.

The guinea hen was sectioned, wet brined in a mixture which included McCormick's Caribbean Jerk seasoning, OakRidge BBQ Game Bird & Chicken Rub and HardCore Carnivore Amplify overnight, then rinsed and cooked sous vide at 145F for 2 hours.

As I planned to use the breast meat for the nachos, I made sure to debone them.  This ended up causing them to have an odd shape after they'd been crammed into and cooked in a FoodSavor bag (top center).

A 1lb. package of chicken skin was rinsed and patted dry.

I used the same method for frying both the guinea hen and chicken skin that I used earlier this month to work on my fried chicken game.  I made the wet batter a little thinner to account for the meat already being cooked.  Trimmings saved from a pair of SRF Wagyu picanhas that were dry aged for 75 days were rendered to make dry aged tallow, which was blended with corn oil for frying.

Guinea Hen:

The chicken skin was cooked until very crispy.

Cheese sauce was fashioned from heavy cream, American cheese, Monterey Jack, garlic & onion powder and some coarsely ground dehydrated peppers.

Putting the nachos together:

The sous vide cooking did right by the guinea hen.  It ended up very tender and juicy, with the jerk seasoning permeating the entire thickness of the meat.  The chicken skin 'chips' were the pinnacle of crunchy and definitely much tastier than some tortilla chips.  This was the perfect meal to enjoy while watching the Chiefs' victory.
It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Forgive yourself if you ever thought that your posts were anything less than magnificent.

Once again, you have set the bar so very high for anyone to clear. Outstanding as always.

Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    I'll say it again, stunning!
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
      :bow:

Brandon - Ohio

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    Oh my! That’s an incredible cook. You never cease to amaze and inspire us all!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I can almost taste it.  Another stellar cook 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • gonepostal
    Options
    The things that you come up with smokingal!  As always, your creativity and documentation is off the charts. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, looks fabulous!  And good luck to your hometown team in their next game.  Anxious to see what you create for that!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Wow!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Mother of God
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I have exhausted my limited vocabulary of superlatives on every one of your cooks.  So, going in a different direction, freakin creative genius right there.  So far over the top that is just isn't fair (not that it should be).  Thank you for pure enjoyment when reading your cooking posts.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    D@mn it, who keeps letting the chef post?  ;)

In all seriousness, that looks freaking fantastic! 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    not finding 1 pound bags of chicken skin locally =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Since I have nothing of any value to say (as usual)...
    <Insert “throw in the towel gif here” ...>

Chicken skin nachos...  who thinks of something like that.... come on...... 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Your pantry, freezer, and local market are far differently stocked than mine. I can’t run down and pickup guinea fowl or bags of chicken skins. I don’t have Wagyu fat in the freezer. I also don’t think about making nachos like this. 

So I’m like all the masses back when that thought things on Earth are subject to gravity but the moon is just - you know - up THERE in the sky. 
    You are the genius like Newton that sees the world differently and knows that the moon too is falling. 

I see chicken skin and beef fat - you see delicious deep fried heart clogging magnificent nachos. 

Chapeau...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    not finding 1 pound bags of chicken skin locally =)

I decided to give these guys a shot this past summer.  Pretty happy with my orders from them thus far.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com