Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time doing Brisket. Any tips?

Options
I’ve done almost everything with my egg except Brisket. Hoping to do one for the Titans game tomorrow. Any tips or YouTube videos I should check out. Thanks in advance. 

Mike

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Welcome.

Keep in mind it's your first brisket and don't get discouraged if it isn't perfect. Are you doing a full packer? Trim the hard fat off, I like heavy salt and pepper. Cook until it probes like butter in the thickest part of the flat.

Finally, make sure you have chili ingredients on hand just in case.

Good luck!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I like Dr. BBQ’s video on brisket.  Very simple but turns out great.  Love the coffee addition, as it goes very good with brisket.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Welcome...dont over think it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    I second Ray Lampe's brisket recipe. Very forgiving.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Calbbqer
    Options
    Although not on a kamado, Aaron Franklin’s brisket cook on YouTube is worth watching.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    Lots of opinions. Trim some fat, but not all. Fat side up, 250 grill temp. Kosher salt and black pepper liberally. Let it roll till around 200°-205° internal and probes like butter. some wrap, I don’t. Figure an hour per pound, it’ll hold in a cooler for 3-4 hours if it finishes too early
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I like to wrap once it’s up to about 160IT

I trim the fat cap down and cut out hard white fat where I can 

I salt and pepper and then usually coat with a steak or beef rub as well

i like a mix of hickory and cherry for smoke

make sure to let it rest before slicing 

slice against the grain the width of a number 2 pencil

I like to make burnt ends out of the point, I know a lot of people will say it’s ruining the best part but that’s what I like to do and my family likes them :-)

If you’re ever craving brisket but late to the game you can smoke a chuck roast in similar fashion and it’ll hit the spot. It’s not exactly the same but a decent alternative 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf