Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Cooking Contest Tips?

Options
I’ve been entered into a steak cooking contest.  Pork is more my forte (duh), so does anyone here have any tips?

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,230
    Options
    That sounds like fun. What kind of steak are you cooking or is it dealer’s choice? Hard to beat a good reverse sear though. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Rub your steaks down with a thin coating of - 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    That sounds like fun. What kind of steak are you cooking or is it dealer’s choice? Hard to beat a good reverse sear though. 
    Every competitor has to cook a ribeye.  Those will all be judged.  Then we are also allowed to cook whatever we want, and it will be judged separately.  I’m thinking tri tip for that one but my porterhouse is also pretty darn good.
  • speed51133
    Options
    too much of a personal thing IMO. Have any information on the judges? I would focus on their backgrounds. Are they professional cooks??
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    just make sure you cook it medium.  Also remember that they cut the steak in half to judge doneness but eat off the rib cap. 

How to bbq right has a good video on SCA 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Go well done and serve with a side of ketchup. It’s called the “stable genius.”
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    ryantt said:
    just make sure you cook it medium.  Also remember that they cut the steak in half to judge doneness but eat off the rib cap. 

Medium, really?  I always shoot for medium rare.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    ryantt said:

Medium, really?  I always shoot for medium rare.
    As an SCA judge, they want medium. If it's an SCA contest they will put a card on the table similar to this pic that the judges will compare with. They will judge on appearance, taste and tenderness. Cook luck and have fun!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @PigBeanUs yep they want it over cooked at SCA events, but they are a blast.   One thing about these events is the “other” category is tons of fun.  They do all sorts of crazy stuff.  

Have fun and good luck!!!
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    It’s not an SCA contest though.  I don’t even know what that means.  
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    Have any of you ever won one of these things?  I appreciate all of the tips from folks who have done one, but what does it take to win?  Anyone bring home a trophy?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    A1 Sauce on the side for the win

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Have any of you ever won one of these things?  I appreciate all of the tips from folks who have done one, but what does it take to win?  Anyone bring home a trophy?
    Paging @RRP
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    What are you going to cook on?  This is if I had my Joe jr or MiniMax with me. 

Super trim and salt immediately (diamond kosher) and resting at room temp for up to two hours is fine. The salt will work quicker at room temps than in the fridge. I make my own seasoning without salt

Light up the grill for an indirect smoke with wood chunks and have it cruising at 225 and stable 60 min before turn in. 

Reverse sear 15-20min per side until IT is 114. Set aside the steak and cover loosely with foil. Crank the heat on the grill. 

5-10min before turn in sear and plate or box. Most competitions allow a compound butter so if you have one put a dollop on and hand it in. Finishing salt if allowed is good too 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Paging @RRP
    Yup. @RRP can chime in here. Maybe throw  a few tips your way.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    There’s a such thing as a pork steak, just throwin that out there
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    Know your competition? - I mean back yard grillers or pros? - though don't be intimidated if they are from some local steakhouse! Know who is judging? - I mean aunts and uncles of the sponsor or KCBQ type judges? Will you be using your BGE? - if not then why not? Will the winner be going for more than just bragging rights? you know for real prize$?

My best advice otherwise is: your cross hash grill marks are SO IMPORTANT! practice if need be. Also don't try to fix some rub concoction nor use some marinade or finishing sauce - just use kosher salt and a little fresh ground pepper! Melted butter brushed on the steak before turn in works wonders in the taste and appearance department!

Good luck!

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    RRP said:
    Know your competition? - I mean back yard grillers or pros? - though don't be intimidated if they are from some local steakhouse! Know who is judging? - I mean aunts and uncles of the sponsor or KCBQ type judges? Will you be using your BGE? - if not then why not? Will the winner be going for more than just bragging rights? you know for real prize$?

My best advice otherwise is: your cross hash grill marks are SO IMPORTANT! practice if need be. Also don't try to fix some rub concoction nor use some marinade or finishing sauce - just use kosher salt and a little fresh ground pepper! Melted butter brushed on the steak before turn in works wonders in the taste and appearance department!

Good luck!

Wow Ron thanks man!  I also sent you some questions by PM.   
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    I find cooking it to 153* and nice squeeze of ketchup really makes a great steak.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,793
    Options
    So, serious question, do they allow sous vide in a comp
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I like that Whisky Barrel Aged Ketchup 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Real prizes??? Tell me more 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Judges don’t eat the entire steak, and they sample lots of other steaks.  To stand out, you need to think “one bite”.  Season it more than you think you should.  It’s a fine line between overly salty and big flavor.  The closer you get to big flavor, the better you’ll be. 

Granted, this is what I’ve learned by watching SCA cookoffs.  This environment may be different.  

Also, turn in your steak as close to the end of the turn in window as possible.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just cooked this tonight....
    Options
    Salt and in oven at 200F until 110F.
    Options
    Then caveman until 125F
    Options
    Rest and it will raise post cook to 135F
    Options
    Cut against grain and serve with red wine mushrooms (threw in some bacon and beef base)

Remember to always cook all the alcohol out of any wine or brandy or it will taste off.
    Options
    1/2 inch steaks for the win  ;)
    Jacksonville FL