Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Largest turkey in a large BGE (to smoke)?

Options
1911Man
1911Man Posts: 366
edited November 2019 in EggHead Forum
Looking to find out what's the largest [whole] turkey that will fit inside a large BGE for smoking. I have the Woo ring setup (arrived before the BGE was delivered). I have a 15# bird in the fridge that will be going on the egg before noon today. Just wondering what's the largest turkey people have smoked on the large egg. I use a remote thermometer, so there needs to be enough clearance for the end of it (under the dome/lid). 
I know BGE says you can 'cook' a 20# bird in the large egg, but they also said I could cook an 18# bird in the medium I had. I could squeeze a ~14# bird into that one (to smoke) and if I went more than a hair above 14# it was just too close to the lid. Is my new real 'size limit' going to be 16#? 18#?
Of course, I used it last night to cook dinner (and get the gaskets ready). Liking the new nest and how it doesn't block the bottom vent even a little bit. The one for my medium was really close to the left side of the opening. I'm thinking about adding the side tables to the egg, but will probably wait until spring on that. I'll probably pick up a cover for it in the next few weeks. 
Requisite 'money shot'
:
Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
Living free in the 603 (Pelham).

Comments

• Hogman348
    Options
    23 lb last year. it was tight, but fit fine
    Woodstock, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    My biggest was a 25.5 pounder. Tight, but doable! Just pull out thermometer, close dome and return thermometer making sure it isn't puncturing the bird!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 1911Man
    Options
    You guys did that inside a Large BGE??? 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
  • RRP
    Options
    1911Man said:
    Yes! I've read where some guys remove their fire ring to give added space!
  • 1911Man
    Options
    RRP said:
    1911Man said:
    Yes! I've read where some guys remove their fire ring to give added space!
    Are you talking grilling or smoking?? I know it lists a 20# for 'cooking' but they also said 18# for the medium. Size for smoking was less.
  • RRP
    Options
    I cooked my 25.5 bird - not smoked it. Not real sure why you think there would be a big difference cooking vs smoking. BTW this size discussion is age old this time of year. Granted if you plan to use a roasting pan with a rack inside it then that also cuts into the max size. The biggest restriction is that dome thermometer probe and that's why you remove that clip inside so you can easily pull the thermometer out, close dome and re-insert thermometer. Some people seem to think that spring clip holds the thermometer in place though gravity does that!
  • 1911Man
    Options
    @RRP I think there's a difference due to where the cooking grate is positioned. At the low/grilling (without a platesetter or Woo ring) you have more height to work with. In the smoking position, you have less height to work with. Since there's no way in hell you can smoke an 18# turkey in the medium BGE, I doubt you can smoke (cooking grate at gasket height) a 20# bird in a large. I'll see how much room I have to spare when I put the 15# bird in shortly. 
    This will be the first use of the new stone and drip pan for the new Woo ring setup that arrived Sunday for the large BGE. 
  • RRP
    Options
    1911Man said:
    @RRP I think there's a difference due to where the cooking grate is positioned. At the low/grilling (without a platesetter or Woo ring) you have more height to work with. In the smoking position, you have less height to work with. Since there's no way in hell you can smoke an 18# turkey in the medium BGE, I doubt you can smoke (cooking grate at gasket height) a 20# bird in a large. I'll see how much room I have to spare when I put the 15# bird in shortly. 
    This will be the first use of the new stone and drip pan for the new Woo ring setup that arrived Sunday for the large BGE. 
    Fine - do it your way - I just know I did a 25.5 as my largest and have done 22 to 24 pounders as well. And like I said you can always remove your fire ring for added space. Even without the ring the fire box will hold enough lump to cook or smoke a bird!
  • 1911Man
    Options
    RRP said:
    1911Man said:
    Fine - do it your way - I just know I did a 25.5 as my largest and have done 22 to 24 pounders as well. And like I said you can always remove your fire ring for added space. Even without the ring the fire box will hold enough lump to cook or smoke a bird!
    With the woo ring, stone and pan?? I doubt I'll ever look to smoke even an 18# whole bird since it's usually either just for me, or up to two times a year. I'd be shocked if I ever want/need to do a 20# bird in the egg. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Largest here on LBGE was a bit over 21 lbs.  I pulled the fire ring then did the platesetter, drip pan, grate and no issues.  As noted by @RRP make sure you don't insert your dome thermo into the bird.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    I'm taking a swing at a 17.2# spatchcock turkey today on my LBGE
    NC - LBGE
  • bradleya123
    Options
    Our bird is 24.7lbs and he will be spatchcocked and will fit into LBGE!  He will fit i promise!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• wardo
    Options
    Our bird is 24.7lbs and he will be spatchcocked and will fit into LBGE!  He will fit i promise!!!
    Could you please post a pic of that?!  I was too scared to get a bird that big for fear it won't fit.
    NC - LBGE
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I did a 21 pounder yesterday and it fit just fine.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • bradleya123
    Options
    wardo said:
    Could you please post a pic of that?!  I was too scared to get a bird that big for fear it won't fit.

Perfect fit!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• wardo
    Options
    @bradleya123 that's awesome.  Seems like there's even a little space to spare!  I think next time I'm gonna swing for a 20+ pound bird.

Thank you for posting!
    NC - LBGE
  • 1911Man
    Options
    I was able to easily smoke a 19.5# bird the other day in the egg. Not sure how much over that I'll want to cook. But at least I know it can handle that size. 

I saw a posting about the 'Mad Max' method, which I looked at. I took one thing away form that, which I used on this bird (plus the one we did in the oven for xmas day)... Ice down the breast section for an hour. I also pulled it from the egg at 163F (smoked at 225-250 for about 4-1/2 to 5 hours) and it carried over to just above 165F. Breasts are perfect and the dark meat is done right. Winner winner. ;)

Flavor is epic as usual. Top it off with plenty of charcoal left in the basket (Kick Ash basket of course) and it's even better. Since I'm on my last bag of charcoal, I'll make sure to get a couple more bags before the end of the coming weekend. I hate not  having any in reserve. 

I did pull the retainer clip from the dome thermometer before putting the bird in. Just to be sure it didn't hit it. Felt zero resistance when I closed the dome, so I don't think it touched. I need to see if the probes from my remote thermometer are the right size to go into the same hole. If so, I might opt to use that when smoking. That way I can just use the app (on my phone) to see the dome temp. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I need to see if the probes from my remote thermometer are the right size to go into the same hole. If so, I might opt to use that when smoking. That way I can just use the app (on my phone) to see the dome temp.
    Like this:

Both iGrill and Thermoworks probes fit.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• 1911Man
    Options
    @jtcBoynton
    I have neither an iGrill or Thermoworks set. As I mentioned, I'll do a test fit to see if it will work, or not. If not, no biggie. I could try putting one probe at grate level to see how that reads. I'd just prefer to have it in the dome hole. :o