Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving - Trying Anything New or Traditional?

Options
We’re going mostly traditional.  However, I’m changing things up and adding another dressing.  Wilma poo-poos my family’s dressing.  She prefers Stovetop Stuffing.  Well, I have a hard time including that rubbish on the table.  This year I’m adding White Castle Dressing.  Those in the Midwest know the White Castle slider.  This is a dressing made using 10 of those belly bombs (minus the pickle, ketchup & mustard).  My buddy likes it, so, why not?  It’s gotta be better than Stovetop Stuffing.

How about you?  Trying something new staying with the tried & true?

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Fred, this year we are going all traditional. Ham, turkey and anus dressing. Three Thanksgiving classics. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Fred, this year we are going all traditional. Ham, turkey and anus dressing. Three Thanksgiving classics. 
    I would expect nothing less than anus dressing on your menu!
    Flint, Michigan
  • llrickman
    Options
    Mad max again this year. Haven’t done it in a while
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    cooked jimmy dean goes in the stuffing here.  no big crowd this year, might just go all appetizers here, mexican shrimp cocktail, scallops, chourico simmered down in hard cider , turkey sliders etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I usually smoke an uncut ham (@mickey naked ham), but am thinking about changing it up this year. I'm going with a spiral cut ham this year, mickey's method, but with the bourbon maple post from the legendary egret ham recipe. Never smoked a spiral cut ham before, so I hope it turns out well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hogfan412
    Options
    I guess some of it is non traditional.   Planning on smoking some pork loin with cajun seasoning, a PIT Ham, and a couple of bacon wrapped turkey breasts.   It is a morning of cooking but it is my favorite day of the year because of family that is there.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    caliking said:
    I usually smoke an uncut ham (@mickey naked ham), but am thinking about changing it up this year. I'm going with a spiral cut ham this year, mickey's method, but with the bourbon maple post from the legendary egret ham recipe. Never smoked a spiral cut ham before, so I hope it turns out well.
    It will turn out great. Just watch for burnt ends (and they are very good as well). Done several in the naked ham cooks. 
    As I say whenever I post my ham that Egrets is GREAT.
    Happy Thanksgiving my friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options

Ham and turkey like always....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• matdulu
    Options
    The past few years, I have spatchcocked our turkey. Always turns out most EXCELLENT!!!!
  • Greedygoat
    Options
    I've done the Mad Max the last two years.  This year I'm going to try spatchcocking it instead.
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Prolly gonna do a nekked double smoke ham and Buttermilk brine SV’d turkey breast then sear on egg.  Sides are undecided but I’m thinking a Mashed Sweet Potato Brûlée.  Dessert will be an apple crumble and @northGAcock pecan pie on the egg.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • speed51133
    Options
    mostly doggy style
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Prolly gonna do a nekked double smoke ham and Buttermilk brine SV’d turkey breast then sear on egg.  Sides are undecided but I’m thinking a Mashed Sweet Potato Brûlée.  Dessert will be an apple crumble and @northGAcock pecan pie on the egg.  
    sign me up.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Phaqallyall
    Options
    Ham.
    sound it out yaidjit
  • SGH
    Options
    Brother Fred, a sudden change of menu is in order. As luck would have it, while rummaging through the freezer I discovered an overlooked bag of testicles. You talk about good luck my friend. Marinated, deep fried testicle chips is on the menu for sure. Thanksgiving is going to be a real ball this year 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Phaqallyall
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Fred, a sudden change of menu is in order. As luck would have it, while rummaging through the freezer I discovered an overlooked bag of testicles. You talk about good luck my friend. Marinated, deep fried testicle chips is on the menu for sure. Thanksgiving is going to be a real ball this year 👍

A real man would shave those for Fred first.  Fred doesn’t wrap his tongue around a set of balls unless they’re completely shaved.
    sound it out yaidjit
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:

"as luck would have it"...

This forum is a better place when you are not living on a platform somewhere.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    We are the visiting team this year and got shut out of all the hero cooks (turkey, sides, and dessert!).  My sister told Janell she "could bring some snacks". That went over like a lead balloon. I believe her comment was along the lines of "I hope they f*cking like Doritos". Once the rage subsided her "you want snacks? I'll show you some f*cking snacks" instincts kicked in. She's making a full charcuterie board and several things from a classic italian cookbook that is written in Italian with all kinds of awesome things that would not be on anybody's radar. Tapenades, grilled eggplant with crostini, raspberry marmalade, and other stuff. Don't ever tell Janell to "just bring some snacks" and expect to get away unscathed.

We are also doing a pork shoulder for Wednesday night that is larded with Serrano peppers and garlic cloves. smoked low and slow like a normal shoulder but with salt and pepper as the rub. That works for me so I'm all good.

We both love to cook around the holidays so we are going to make an herb-butter stuffed Sous Vide turkey roulade (meat glue 2 breasts together and wrap in skin (scraped, dried and meat glued around the breasts). we will make a few pies and some fun sides and we will have family dinner Saturday with the kids when we get back. So kind of traditional flavors with a modern twist. 

I figured that they would know by now that you eat when you can, sleep when you can... And don't mess with TFJ. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Trying rotisserie turkey on the XL, and turkey halves hanging on the WSM.  I really like hanging chicken halves on the WSM, hoping turkey is equally as amazing.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    We’re going mostly traditional.  However, I’m changing things up and adding another dressing.  Wilma poo-poos my family’s dressing.  She prefers Stovetop Stuffing.  Well, I have a hard time including that rubbish on the table.  This year I’m adding White Castle Dressing.  Those in the Midwest know the White Castle slider.  This is a dressing made using 10 of those belly bombs (minus the pickle, ketchup & mustard).  My buddy likes it, so, why not?  It’s gotta be better than Stovetop Stuffing.

Wow, that sounds terrible.  I would totally eat that.
    NOLA
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Tony Chachere creole butter injected 14lb turkey in big easy oil less fryer (really not a fryer), and 18 lb Turkey on LBGE.  Mad Max seasoning from dizzy and let the egg do its job!   Probably take at least 3 stiff pours of McCallan to get it all done.    Hope everyone has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving! 
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Mickey
    Options
    Mickey said:

Ham and turkey like always....
    Please note at the front of the turkey is the neck. I always cook the neck an gizzard as they are cooked in less than 30 mins and considered cooks food by me. 

• Boileregger
    Options
    I'm trying a Cajun theme this year.  Injecting the turkey with a Cajun crab boil marinade, doing a dirty rice dressing and mashed potatoes with Cajun gravy.  I did the turkey experiment with a discounted after Thanksgiving turkey last year and it was amazing, so hoping I can replicate and add to it with the sides.
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    We are the visiting team this year and got shut out of all the hero cooks (turkey, sides, and dessert!).  My sister told Janell she "could bring some snacks". That went over like a lead balloon. I believe her comment was along the lines of "I hope they f*cking like Doritos". Once the rage subsided her "you want snacks? I'll show you some f*cking snacks" instincts kicked in. She's making a full charcuterie board and several things from a classic italian cookbook that is written in Italian with all kinds of awesome things that would not be on anybody's radar. Tapenades, grilled eggplant with crostini, raspberry marmalade, and other stuff. Don't ever tell Janell to "just bring some snacks" and expect to get away unscathed.

We are also doing a pork shoulder for Wednesday night that is larded with Serrano peppers and garlic cloves. smoked low and slow like a normal shoulder but with salt and pepper as the rub. That works for me so I'm all good.

We both love to cook around the holidays so we are going to make an herb-butter stuffed Sous Vide turkey roulade (meat glue 2 breasts together and wrap in skin (scraped, dried and meat glued around the breasts). we will make a few pies and some fun sides and we will have family dinner Saturday with the kids when we get back. So kind of traditional flavors with a modern twist. 

Please visit ASAP but only bring snacks.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @SGH I figured you might be doing your award winning foreskin chili.

BTW, how'd you dig that damn hole?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    SGH said:

That is a stroke of good luck!  The whole idea about a new dish is to find something for Wilma.  I’m sure she would prolly hit those balls pretty hard!  That dish would give our party a happy ending for sure!
    Flint, Michigan
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
            freakin'
                 loves
                      Scottie's
                              balls.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I was shooting the breeze with a coworker yesterday who is half Jewish. I said, "Do you guys celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah at your house?" His response, "Sometimes but not this year. My idiot brother has a girlfriend now". My next question, "Any plans for Thanksgiving?" His response, "Yeah, take out Chinese food." The guy cracks me up. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    Options
    thetrim said:
            freakin'
                 loves
                      Scottie's
                              balls.
    Yes he does 👍

Status- Standing by.